CHIEF BONEHEAD Education Class

We had a great time in Hope!  Thanks so much to everyone who worked so hard to make this happen.   It was great to see folks we hadn't seen in years, and to also make some new friends.  I decided it was time I got my own profile here since I have loved Klipsch for almost 50 years!  The very first time I heard the Khorns I was at my boyfriends house  and Stairway to Heaven was playing on an LP.  His Dad was an avid music lover and had a top of the line system.  I was totally blown away!  I wound up marrying that boyfriend (Rigma) and we have been collecting Klipsch from the very beginning.  I've never really understood the term WAF as it sure as heck does not apply to me!  I look forward to being a part of the group.

Becky (MZKITTY)

• Like 8

welcome aboard a pleasure to have you join us. My first Klipsch experience was when I was about 16 years old I think, a friends older brother not long out of university got his first real job as a professional engineer and he bought a system with a pair of Belle's. I do not recall the gear in the system but the loudspeakers were to me the most beautiful that I had ever seen or heard. My very first WOW experience in audio was a good one thanks to PWK. Not so long after that I bought a pair of well used but good condition Altec A7-800. I liked the Altec's but they lacked the beauty of the Belle which  seemed compact in comparison. Those Altec were my last horns (I had them for about a year in my bedroom at home, my mom was not impressed) for a very long time before I found my way back to Klipsch. I would like to hear the new Cornwall lV but would rather that it was a two way with a large format driver.

On 10/26/2019 at 3:45 PM, moray james said:

welcome aboard a pleasure to have you join us. My first Klipsch experience was when I was about 16 years old I think, a friends older brother not long out of university got his first real job as a professional engineer and he bought a system with a pair of Belle's. I don not recall the gear in the system but the loudspeakers were to me the most beautiful that I had ever seen or heard. My ver first WOW experience in audio was a good one. Not so long after that I bought a pair of well used but good condition Altec A7-800. I liked the Altec's but they lacked the beauty of the Belle which  seemed compact in comparison. Those were my last horns (I had them for about a year in my bedroom at home, my mom was not impressed) for a very long time before I found my way back to Klipsch. I would like to hear the new Cornwall but would rather that it was a two way with a large format driver.

We heard the new Cornwall IV’s in Roy’s lab and they have me wanting them REAL BAD!

Edited by MZKITTY
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, moray james said:

I would like to hear the new Cornwall but would rather that it was a two way with a large format driver.

You might change your mind once you hear the Cornwall IV. When I listened to it at Chief Boneheads Class I did not expect how significant the audible improvements are on so many levels as well as the new Heresy IV are as well.

I honestly am amazed at how much Roy has reduced the box coloration that all previous models had when compared to fully horn loaded models like the La Scalas,  Belles or Klipschorns.

Whether a loudspeaker is 2-way or 3-way doesn’t really matter in the end but instead what the total loudspeaker brings to sound reproduction and IMHO the new Cornwall IV is going to kick-*** at twice it’s price point... 😄

miketn 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, jimjimbo said:

Wow, that CW IV mid horn is just huge.

Yep. In my experience, which includes lots of Peavey, JBL, EV, Klipsch, etc., including 3 pairs of K-402's..............The BIGGER the Horn, the BETTER the horn, period.

On 10/26/2019 at 2:33 PM, MZKITTY said:

We had a great time in Hope!  Thanks so much to everyone who worked so hard to make this happen.   It was great to see folks we hadn't seen in years, and to also make some new friends.  I decided it was time I got my own profile here since I have loved Klipsch for almost 50 years!  The very first time I heard the Khorns I was at my boyfriends house  and Stairway to Heaven was playing on an LP.  His Dad was an avid music lover and had a top of the line system.  I was totally blown away!  I wound up marrying that boyfriend (Rigma) and we have been collecting Klipsch from the very beginning.  I've never really understood the term WAF as it sure as heck does not apply to me!  I look forward to being a part of the group.

Becky (MZKITTY)

Hello Becky. Nice to see you are here. I have a picture of you and your "boyfriend" seated in your Mr. and Mrs. chairs in your incredible HT! I'm glad to see you here, writing, instead of just providing human scale standing next to Klipsch speakers! LOL. God willing, I should be in the Nashville area in January, so I may visit y'all once again with my checkbook, if the Mr. Rigma Still has goodies available for me to invest in.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with you--since I am within "reasonable driving distance" (237 miles).  I've driven it and returned in one day, four years ago, but that certainly wasn't fun and wasn't productive because I didn't get to see the people that I had arranged to see.  That was a very disheartening journey.  I've not returned since then.

Perhaps I'll drive to the upcoming April get-together.  I'm hoping that it might be much more productive than the last time--even enjoyable.  I don't consume alcohol (my Promethease report told me a few years ago that wasn't a good idea), extremely spicy foods, or prefer to listen to very loud music (which accelerates hearing loss), but I do like to play with horn-loaded loudspeakers and do other related hi-fi stuff.  I'll stick around if I can do those things. 

Utah(?) is a bit farther to drive.  Flying is probably a much better option for those not having constraints on the money to fly.

Chris

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I don't consume alcohol [...], extremely spicy foods, or prefer to listen to very loud music [...], but I do like to play with horn-loaded loudspeakers and do other related hi-fi stuff. 

Same here, Chris, in all aspects mentioned. (In fact I was the one who asked Roy whether the Jubilees still sounded good at low levels.) Yet I had a great time at the Bonehead Class. I hope you'll give it another try, but think of it in a social context rather than an engineering context.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dave A said:

AMEN to that Chris and you and I at least can go find an alcohol free corner to talk speakers and programs in. I am keenly interested in meeting you and would love to spend some time being a sponge. Of knowledge that is not booze.

Me too.  I'd like to meet all of you.  I have been known to drink, but I would totally stay away from it for the weekend if I could learn even a tiny bit from y'all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2019 at 4:40 AM, codewritinfool said:

Me too.  I'd like to meet all of you.  I have been known to drink, but I would totally stay away from it for the weekend if I could learn even a tiny bit from y'all.

and me too. A lot of them, try to look some reviews and choose. If we talk about my experience in using such assistance, then I would recommend you to turn the professional essay writing service https://edubirdie.com/write-my-essay. I have been using it for more than six months, before that I tried a few more options that did not please me. This choice is rather subjective, and there are many options in the web now. I suggest you to choose yourself.

Edited by JonathanBrown
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:12 AM, Edgar said:

Some may have noticed that I asked Roy whether he was using Butterworth or Linkwitz-Riley filters for the 12 and 24 dB cases. Roy answered "Butterworth", which may cause some to wonder why not use the "industry standard" Linkwitz-Riley type. The fact is, in a small listening room the "in-phase at all frequencies" property of Linkwitz-Riley doesn't matter all that much. But in a large auditorium, it matters quite a lot.

Edgar, didn't that Butterworth comment apply to the filters used in the demo, not the ones in the actual speaker?  As I remember, the actual network had 2-pole filters that achieved about 24 dB/oct and included driver EQ.  THAT was the clue to the work Roy put into the C IV design.  I had done something similar mating an FH-1 to an Altec 511B/902-8B.  My treble high-pass achieved 18 dB/octave with a sag in the response to kill a hump in the driver's output, all with 2 elements.  I spent weeks on that design.