Southwest Audio Get-Together

1 hour ago, Rudy81 said:

@Thaddeus Smith, if you are going, we may have to put your AMT/LaScala project on the front burner. Bring it with you!

I'm not opposed to this. I'm going to start chopping the tops off my LS this week. Then I think I'm going to buy some plywood and glue/screw it to the side panels to stiffen them up. Maybe additional plywood on the bottom so I can add some fat rubber feet. Then sanding and prep for paint.

Still waiting for some sort of activity update from ESS.

And then I need to buy the materials for wing assemblies and cart it all over to your place for construction and paint. Although I'd rather not cart my freshly painted cabinets to Hope and back, so maybe we do that part after April if I'm going to bring them along.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'm not opposed to this. I'm going to start chopping the tops off my LS this week. Then I think I'm going to buy some plywood and glue/screw it to the side panels to stiffen them up. Maybe additional plywood on the bottom so I can add some fat rubber feet. Then sanding and prep for paint.

Still waiting for some sort of activity update from ESS.

And then I need to buy the materials for wing assemblies and cart it all over to your place for construction and paint. Although I'd rather not cart my freshly painted cabinets to Hope and back, so maybe we do that part after April if I'm going to bring them along.

When you cut the tops off, leave an eigth to quarter inch above the bass bin top.  Then use a router with a flush bit to trim the excess.  Then, your top will be pretty flawless. 

I used heavy duty spikes from Parts Express for my bass bin bottoms if your floor can handle spikes.

The few parts you will need for your 'wings' can be obtained near my house if you don't want to lug stuff over. 

Paint can always wait 'till you are really happy with the product.....of course, it is all your call.

12 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'm going to start chopping the tops off my LS this week. Then I think I'm going to buy some plywood and glue/screw it to the side panels to stiffen them up. Maybe additional plywood on the bottom so I can add some fat rubber feet

A track saw or guided circular saw will work good for the top chop. I saved the chopped top from mine and added a bottom panel, just in case I need the full assembly someday. I think the bottom of the bass bin is already double layered, except for the access hole itself.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:20 AM, jimjimbo said:

Could we try to keep this subject matter to the get together rather than a technical thread? Thanks.

Yes, of course. My mistake, I should have read the previous eleven pages before my hasty post. 😁 Sounds like you folks are going to have a good time. Wish I could join in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2020 at 10:20 AM, jimjimbo said:

Could we try to keep this subject matter to the get together rather than a technical thread? Thanks.

How about a get together combined with a technical post.

Is anybody bringing measuring equipment?  I'm going to try to bring my LSIs and would like to see what type of FR I'm getting.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

How about a get together combined with a technical post.

Is anybody bringing measuring equipment?  I'm going to try to bring my LSIs and would like to see what type of FR I'm getting.

Make it so.

I will paraphrase what I believe I've read.  Chris will be bringing test equipment that will go along with his seminars on measuring/crossovers/EQ etc..  There will be plenty of other gear in addition to that, for example, I will bring a laptop, measurement mic, mic stands and cables.  I don't thing there will be a problem taking measurements on the LSI's or playing with the BB's and tops separately swapping out different tops with the BB's.  Taking FR measurements should be simple.  

In addition, I thing we should get a running list together of speakers and equipment that will be there.  The list is getting long and I'm not 100% sure of all the gear and what might be needed.  Maybe a list on the same post of the attendee list that can be updated.  Open to suggestions, unless they are from Jim.  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes. I'll have outputs for whatever kind of preamp inputs to drive the upsweeps, including RCA (analog), AES/EBU (for the Yamaha SP2060 digital input), S/PDIF optical, USB, HDMI, and I2S from the laptop.  The microphone is a UMIK-1 (USB) with REW and TrueRTA installed. 

The test rig will also include a Yamaha SP2060 (two-in, six-out) DSP crossover and three amplifiers in the rack. So bi-amping and tri-amping will be available if desired.

I'm attempting to bring tri-amped Khorn clones (Shinalls) for the REW--DSP crossover demo.  I believe it will be a tight fit for the minivan, but the measurements indicate that it's doable. 

Chris

58 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Yes. I'll have outputs for whatever kind of preamp inputs to drive the upsweeps, including RCA (analog), AES/EBU (for the Yamaha SP2060 digital input), S/PDIF optical, USB, HDMI, and I2S from the laptop.  The microphone is a UMIK-1 (USB) with REW and TrueRTA installed. 

The test rig will also include a Yamaha SP2060 (two-in, six-out) DSP crossover and three amplifiers in the rack. So bi-amping and tri-amping will be available if desired.

I'm attempting to bring tri-amped Khorn clones (Shinalls) for the REW--DSP crossover demo.  I believe it will be a tight fit for the minivan, but the measurements indicate that it's doable. 

Chris

I just want a couple frequency sweeps to see if what I'm hearing is correct.  Should be pretty simple.

There may be others there that also would like to measure, bi-amp or tri-amp.  That's why I mentioned the additional capabilities of the test rig that I'm bringing. 

Chris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chris A said:

There may be others there that also would like to measure, bi-amp or tri-amp.  That's why I mentioned the additional capabilities of the test rig that I'm bringing. 

Chris

I'm really looking forward to this.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Chris

Chis,

If you will need help with your gear, I will be traveling in my F-150 crew cab.  Plenty of room and covered bed. Let me know what you need me to haul.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

When I started letting my MCM breath for the first time(s), the acoustic ceiling tile sprinkled a lot of dust over everything. I can only imagine that these tile will be hopping up and down.  

DELETE

• Like 1