HELP -- I tried to cook again

BigStewMan

I had a craving for corn chowder. looked up a recipe, bought the stuff and tossed it all into a crockpot.  I think i ruined it. I just noticed that the recipe said to cook for 4 hours AND THEN add half & half with corn starch during the last hour.  I previously stopped reading at the ingredients, so i put everything in at the beginning. Did I ruin it?  Will it be safe to eat after having half & half slow cooking four hours?  

i thought crockpot cooking was throw everything in at the start and forget about it. 

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I had a craving for corn chowder. looked up a recipe, bought the stuff and tossed it all into a crockpot.  I think i ruined it. I just noticed that the recipe said to cook for 4 hours AND THEN add half & half with corn starch during the last hour.  I previously stopped reading at the ingredients, so i put everything in at the beginning. Did I ruin it?  Will it be safe to eat after having half & half slow cooking four hours?  

i thought crockpot cooking was throw everything in at the start and forget about it. 

Go ahead and try it.  If we noticed that you quit posting we'll know what happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Go ahead and try it.  If we noticed that you quit posting we'll know what happened.

your concern for my well-being warms my heart.  Do you really want me to die? you’d miss my sarcastic comments as i try to derail some of the crap that is spewed around here. 

5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You'll be fine, it will be scrumptious....

My wife makes a dish she calls Sante Fe corn. Corn drained, diced up jalapeños, cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, chili powder, place it in a crock pot.

that sounds good Bill.  I’m pretty challenged in the kitchen -- since i made it that far with the house surviving, had to wonder now if I would. 

• Like 2

Just now, richieb said:

} Eat up! You’ll be fine. However, worst case scenario, you will be missed. And seems the ingredient sums up the process - 

half-asss cook reading only half the recipe - see what I did - half and half —😉

i see that. i am many things ... a cook isn’t one of them, but i thought that i could at least pull of a crockpot meal.  Adding something at the end of the cooking cycle seems like a heavy piece of information to hide until the end of the recipe.  I would have led with that tidbit of information. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I would only be concerned if the half and half curdled.  It wouldn't kill you, but it wouldn't taste very good.

I  just made some mushroom soup tonight myself in the slow cooker.  Came out great.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/276923/slow-cooker-mushroom-soup-with-sherry/

Does your wife get jealous if you cooking with Sherry or is Sherry your wife?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

your concern for my well-being warms my heart.  Do you really want me to die? you’d miss my sarcastic comments as i try to derail some of the crap that is spewed around here. 

I don't think anyone wants you to die.  Perhaps wither in pain.....  but not die.  We want to enjoy hearing your escapades of running and knocking people over as you race to the bathroom.

I have my story about "Riding the Steel"......  maybe we can share them.

• Like 1

Bigstewman Supermarket with an apple in his basket
Knocks in the manager's door
Grooming to the muzak from a speaker in shoe rack
Lays out his goods on the floor
Everything he's chosen is conveniently frozen
"Eat it and come back for more!"
Bigstewman Window Shopper with a new one in the hopper
Whips up a chemical brew
Croaking to a neighbor while he polishes a saber
Knows how to flavor a stew
Never need to worry with a tin of "Hurry Curry"
"Poisoned especially for you!"
No use to complain
If you're caught out in the rain
Your mother's quite insane
Cat food cat food cat food again
No use to complain
If you're caught out in the rain
Your mother's quite insane
Cat food cat food cat food again
Bigstewman Yellow Stamper with a fillet in a hamper
Dying to finish the course
Goodies for the table with a fable on the label
Drowning in miracle sauce
Don't think I am that rude if I tell you that it's cat food
"Not even fit for a horse!"
  • Like 2

I’ll be trying it soon.  because of my OCD, i think i asked everyone in the world about this ... since it was a dairy product concern, i exchanged a few emails with this nice lady that is the food safety expert with the Arizona Dairy Association.  As everyone indicated, it isn’t a food safety concern, just affects the texture. 

I appreciate the help guys ... even those that want me in pain and living in the bathroom. 

who knows ... maybe i’ll open a restaurant.  Go ahead and say it ... “Yes Chef."

• Thanks 1

Eh - the worst it will be is - paste. But we all ate paste when kids we were - so you won’t expire -  -  - right away. But we all gotta die sometime.  

We watched some off-brand cooking show on the net and decided to try one of their ‘simpler’ cobbler recipes. So we watch several times, get the recipe down ‘pat’ and for some reason ours requires 3 X longer to cook to even appear done. It’s cooling on the stove as I write........   seems a little dark around the edges - not burnt per se..... just dark. Oh well nothing ventured, nothing learned/gained/whatever. Que sera sera.

Take it one bite at a time - I know I will.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

AND THEN add half & half with corn starch during the last hour.

This was just to thicken it up, wouldn't hurt to add it like you did.

The first question I thought of was why corn chowder ?  OK I never tried it before but it sounds kind of bland.