Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

5 hours ago, pzannucci said:

On the  positive side, it looks like we are well into the "learning phase" for treatment. 

masks are now 50% being worn on average  in our area ,   but 100% in public transit , which is great  ,  social distancing is mostly 3 feet  in general  which is still good , overall numbers are down , all but great news

The CDC take all their REPORTED numbers from USA FACTS -  and these numbers seems to be very accurate  -and they can be searched by dates , the site is not very easy to navigate , but the information is very detailed STATE BY STATE -

-by scrolling on the map of the USA , one can see the numbers for each County in real numbers -and the Hot areas are in Green highlights

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/

https://www.cdc.gov/

• Like 2

The company I work for just made wearing face masks mandatory in all areas of the campus (except the chow halls and smoking areas) Not much of a change for the factory workers, but the carpet dwellers will have to adapt.

IMG_1057.JPG

• Like 1

I don't know how it is in other areas but here there's massive amounts of free testing going on.   When you compare that to say a month ago when testing was difficult to obtain if not impossible it's no wonder rates are spiking.  Is the spike in positives due to the opening up of things or just more testing?  I think they're both contributing.

48 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't know how it is in other areas but here there's massive amounts of free testing going on.   When you compare that to say a month ago when testing was difficult to obtain if not impossible it's no wonder rates are spiking.  Is the spike in positives due to the opening up of things or just more testing?  I think they're both contributing.

Incorrect assumptions for analysis.  Only one assumption, there is a spike, must be the reopening.  Better go back to lockdown mode to slow the spread... a um and crush the economy.  Then we can add all the collateral damage on top of the coronavirus deaths when the postmortem is done.

They have already figured out that people don't do good in lockdowns and are very unhappy leading to alcohol and drug use, depression, and death.  The people recommending it have ulterior motives.

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Of course they do, it's silly to think otherwise but we can't discuss that here.

Truth on both accounts.

Record spike in cases = record spike in testing. Simple cause and effect.

• Like 1

The thing is to compare the rates of positives instead of just the raw number of cases.  So far the rates are showing higher in places that have been less cautious.  For example, previous testing might show a 3% positive, while now tests are showing  5% positive.  The increase is the clue, and given the incubation period, the correlation seems more obvious than speculation about motives.  Many seem to confuse outcomes based on attempts to slow the spread, with a speculative motive of intent.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Of course they do, it's silly to think otherwise but we can't discuss that here.

I believe more that we are still throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing what sticks...

Some things are working... some more than others and some not at all .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

I believe more that we are still throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing what sticks...

Some things are working... some more than others and some not at all .

Better than throwing something else up against the wall but you are definitely right.  Perhaps all that sticks may solve 50-60% of this.  That would be nice other than you hope what they throw at you will work when the time comes, if it comes.

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The thing is to compare the rates of positives instead of just the raw number of cases.  So far the rates are showing higher in places that have been less cautious.  For example, previous testing might show a 3% positive, while now tests are showing  5% positive.  The increase is the clue, and given the incubation period, the correlation seems more obvious than speculation about motives.  Many seem to confuse outcomes based on attempts to slow the spread, with a speculative motive of intent.  

Another factor to note are the actual number of hospital admissions for covid19. If they’re increasing along with an increase in positives then the spike is real, not imaginary. And we do see a resurgence of covid19 hospitalizations in state’s evidencing higher positive test results. 

There may be localized shut downs to deal with clustered outbreaks but another general quarantine won’t occur unless things really get bad. They’d have to be so bad that the skeptics would have to acknowledge their mistakes and agree to a lockdown. Sadly adherence to nominal safety precautions has become an issue - a really, really stupid nonsensical issue. For the cost of truly minor inconveniences not followed many will die and many more likely damaged for life. 

Here’s an enlightening article regarding testing -

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/data-fog-countries-coronavirus-numbers-add-200607065953544.html

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Yes the world is a mess.  People think they have the right to harass anyone because they "have just cause".  The problem is that if the pendulum swings the other way, they change their tune.  I don't agree with everyone's views on what they are doing to attack the virus but I formulate my opinion and leave it.  The people that do this really don't know why they do it.  More of a GROUP THINK and herd mentality vs. personal rationalization and justification.  Sad these people can't just leave these folks alone.  it will all come out in the end (hopefully).

• dtel locked this topic