Vintage Stereo Receivers

henry4841

On 12/28/2020 at 9:22 PM, jvs1670 said:

That is one comprehensive list, thank you.  Also worries me because I think I'm in over my head even attempting most of what you suggest.  I'm gonna take a peek inside again but I think I'm going to have to get it looked at when all is said and done.  Guess I don't mind spending a few bucks if it can be fixed.

Take the lid off and blow it out with a can of compressed air, unplugged

Think of it as a first kiss and jump in.......

Good solder joints look like shiny Hershey's kisses, broken ones look broken, dull ones are cold joints.

Bulged and leaking capacitors look bulged and you can see if it took a dump on the board.

You can't damage anything by looking, and learning.

Best

• Like 2

I"m not sure how I missed this thread.  I love vintage receivers.  My primary system is a Pioneer SX-1250 powering my 1989 La Scalas and I have a Pioneer SX-850 powering vintage Heresys.  I also have a Pioneer SA-9500 integrated amp; I know, not a receiver, but it is a nice vintage Pioneer unit. It powers another par of Heresys and sometimes a pair of KG4s.  I like the vintage Sansui and Marantz stuff too, I just don't currently own any of them.

All of my vintage Pioneer units have been completely restored. The restoration work is beyond my skills/abilities, so I take them to Paul Hovenga of Many Moons Audio:  http://manymoonsaudio.com/

Paul does great work!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love the look of the old vintage receivers, with their switches, meters, etc.  I wish a company would do a cool "retro" version with quality top notch components, so you can get the retro look with all of the features of a top notch receiver....and while were at it, I wish that it wouldn't cost several mortgage payments either!

43 minutes ago, DavidWebber72 said:

I love the look of the old vintage receivers, with their switches, meters, etc.  I wish a company would do a cool "retro" version with quality top notch components, so you can get the retro look with all of the features of a top notch receiver....and while were at it, I wish that it wouldn't cost several mortgage payments either!

I think my Leben CS300 is pretty old school, not? But it is not a receiver.... PSX_20210110_193323.thumb.jpg.d0a8be34843197974a46cbc411015bf3.jpgPSX_20210111_105358.thumb.jpg.4adf694146a265b181c6baffcca9e10a.jpgIMG_20210111_105308.thumb.jpg.4277cfaf6d7df8f488e6b8a7c6c2fbc4.jpg

• Like 2

although not as old as some here I think any of the Nakamichi SR or TA series that are of the Nelson Pass STASIS variety (TA-1 need not apply) sound wonderful with Klipsch...I have tried my TA-2A as well as an older and less powerful SR-2A with kg2s, Heresies, Quartet, Chorus ll, RB-5s and probably others...very nice indeed...

Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

I found this interesting especially the prices in todays dollars. 

The final thoughts at the end are interesting: what about being the 'best looking' and the 'best sounding' receiver... That's all very subjective and cannot be expressed with a cipher/number...

The video focusses completely on the 'watt wars' and less on the technology, eg harman kardon's twin engine technology.

I was a little disappointed also on just the wattage war receivers. As most know on this forum quality is more important then quantity with our speakers. Being from that era though I can remember wanting more and more watts without knowing better then. It is still a driving force with many thinking more watts equate to better sound even today. 

• Like 1

I certainly couldn't afford most any of those receivers but I do remember those times and going to Pacific Stereo, Musicraft, HiFi Hutch and the like around ChicagoLand to see and hear some of these...I enjoyed the video and walk down memory lane...thanks

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I never knew I needed to find and try out vintage equipment until now. I shudder at all of the yard sales where I've just walked on by old Hi Fi equipment. I always thought it looked neat but didn't even consider the different sound they reproduce. I'll start hunting now but until then I have an old cabinet style record player that was handed down to me. 8ft long with the wooden opening lid in the center and built in speakers at the ends. I'm guessing it's from the early sixties and It still works but the volume is very scratchy, I'll try cleaning everything as recommended in this thread and see what happens. I'm not sure of the brand but will look tonight. The outer table top and cabinet are in perfect condition.

Edited by LOWFAT930

Here's my contribution to the Vintage Stereo Receivers thread  : Marantz 2015 and 2250b, bought 2nd hand cheap at a time where the Digital was focusing all the attention... :) 

mVKhJb-marantzBG2250B2015.jpg

Marantz 4240 - Even if it was profitable, I should NEVER have sold it... :( 

vTKhJb-IMG-0011c.jpg

Again my 2250b and a Sony STR-6055 :

q0IAJb-IMG-1893.jpg

OK - these ones are not Stereo, but they are nonetheless great sounding AM-FM receivers : Blaupunkt Riviera and Milano...

lgpCKb-P1070697.jpg

PfpCKb-IMG-1850.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LOWFAT930 said:

I never knew I needed to find and try out vintage equipment until now. I shudder at all of the yard sales where I've just walked on by old Hi Fi equipment. I always thought it looked neat but didn't even consider the different sound they reproduce. I'll start hunting now but until then I have an old cabinet style record player that was handed down to me. 8ft long with the wooden opening lid in the center and built in speakers at the ends. I'm guessing it's from the early sixties and It still works but the volume is very scratchy, I'll try cleaning everything as recommended in this thread and see what happens. I'm not sure of the brand but will look tonight. The outer table top and cabinet are in perfect condition.

We love picture here! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 11:07 AM, jimjimbo said:

John, your HK730 needs to be recapped and fully serviced.  The symptoms are indicative of the unit needing to be restored.  I also have a 730 which has unfortunately developed a "hum".

Took it to a guy here in Denver "Dr Dan", fixed a crack in some solder joint, all is great again.  Anyone that needs repairs in Denver this guy is great, super friendly and very reasonable.

I'm loving seeing these pics of these vintage receivers!!!  Replete with all sorts of buttons, switches and knobs to help us enjoy our music more.

Alas, the audio industry has hoodwinked us into believing that nowadays Mode (stereo/mono), bass/treble, Loudness controls, etc...  are by necessity mid-fi and have no place in a REAL high-end integrated amp or pre-amplifier. So they have all but disappeared.   This, IHMO, is nonsense.   They help us enjoy less-than-perfect music and should be commonplace.  Nowadays, only Luxman, Accuphase, McIntosh, and 1-2 others offer these features.  ..And only Mac offers and onboard tuner to make a modern day receiver.  

• Like 2

As far as I know the Model 2600 has been one of the most famouse. It´s dar´n beautiful with the ozzi display . Fully revised and in top optical condition not available below $ 8.000

2135366848_Marantz2260.jpg.9301b5bf320a32709efa7ee0ba980f8e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This Yamaha CR-1020 is the heart of my vintage Cornwall setup. I am the second owner. I took it into a local stereo shop last year to have some white LEDs installed since the bulbs had burned out. They also brought it into spec and gave it a good cleaning. I love the sound and the looks...and also the sharp, heavy clicks the switches and dials make haha! Even the volume and tuner knobs have a heavy, satisfying feel to them when you turn them. Good times!

561FE115-D5F1-4DD0-8EA7-B8D2A2A249EE.jpeg

104BEB98-CABA-4C07-B800-3EDF2D4A12E8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1