The Klipsch Audio Community
rplace

DAC/Streamers, Streaming, Networked Music Systems

2 minutes ago, Fido said:

I have played tidal mqa files and side by side cd quality files and I can’t hear the difference.  Therefore I didn’t require an mqa enabled DAC when I was DAC shopping.

You have a Pontus, right? I ended up selling my Ares II to a forum member after being so impressed that I bought the Venus II. Do you hear differences between NOS and OS? I can't really explain why but I seem to like NOS over time. If I A/B them I can't tell much difference on the fly.

Also does your Pontus have a Phase button? Manual says led on is "Positive Phase" and LED off is "Negative Phase". I've always heard of phase referred to as 0 degrees and 180 degrees. Which do you use/like? Id assume Positive Phase = 0 degrees and Negative Phase = 180. I think I get a slightly more centered image with the LED off, so that has me scratching my head.

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Go back to my original post.  MQA was never mentioned and was not the subject of my inquiry.  I was discussing why actual CDs played on a tubed Jolida JD100 sound more sonically pleasing (to me) than streamed CD quality Tidal (or Spotify) offerings.  Each is going through a separate DAC which may explain some of the difference though I doubt that is the only reason. One source is wireless though other posters have said that is not likely the problem.  Again, both play through the same speakers and integrated amp.

As to your 2 camps I guess I fit better in camp 1 but certainly have an open mind if someone can convince me that I'm wasting money choosing Tidal Premium and their MQA offerings.  But streaming is just one way I listen to music. I listen to vinyl and CDs for more critical listening and even admit to liking CD compilations recorded on my R2R! 

Old ears you know.😉

Perhaps someone with experience doing that will contribute. 

I have experience with the old ears portion, the rest is not in my scope of expertise.

How's that for not contributing?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, rplace said:

You have a Pontus, right? I ended up selling my Ares II to a forum member after being so impressed that I bought the Venus II. Do you hear differences between NOS and OS? I can't really explain why but I seem to like NOS over time. If I A/B them I can't tell much difference on the fly.

Also does your Pontus have a Phase button? Manual says led on is "Positive Phase" and LED off is "Negative Phase". I've always heard of phase referred to as 0 degrees and 180 degrees. Which do you use/like? Id assume Positive Phase = 0 degrees and Negative Phase = 180. I think I get a slightly more centered image with the LED off, so that has me scratching my head.

I can’t really hear a big difference between NOS and OS and also don’t hear much of a difference between phase on or off but perhaps the positive phase setting presents a deeper soundstage - it’s very subtle. All I know for me is that the Pontus sounds much more analogue than other dacs I have heard. Far less sheen and electronic sounding glare.

I pulled the trigger on Wyred 4 Sound's MS Music Server...This really should marketed as a Server / Streamer. It will sit in my audio rack and play 🍻

16 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

I pulled the trigger on Wyred 4 Sound's MS Music Server...This really should marketed as a Server / Streamer. It will sit in my audio rack and play 🍻

Thought you already had one of their products?☮️

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Thought you already had one of their products?☮️

I have their 10th anniversary DAC and MAMP's

• Thanks 1