How do I get bass out of Klipsch Cornwall IV?

29 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

The only K speakers I ever found Bass deficient we're Heresys

I am referring mainly to the drop in hertz, I assure you that the forte II with some recordings by raising the volume, created the difference compared to my Cornwall III. 

And with respect to your thought, do you consider the la scala complete in the bass range🤔

47 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Agreed (I augment my Heresy's with a sub), but considering the original complaint with the Cornwalls, the room has a tremendous effect on bass.

Forget about speaker placement; if the room is too large or open to other spaces, a Cornwall won't be able to pressurize a room with bass. Sure, the Cornwall can deliver bass if the volume is up (that's because it's TRUE bass and not some pumped up 100Hz crap), but the OP may be expecting bass impact at lower levels. In those cases, a supplementary subwoofer is almost mandatory.

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

In this beautiful video, about the la scala at 19' 28"

"...and you don't like subwoofers, that's not a good move, because these are not good bass speakers..."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would like to share my experience with my 1985 Cornwall 1`s ( b-3 crossover). When I got gifted these I installed new diaphrams from simply speakers on both mids and tweets. The resulting listening tests were not good. Weak bass ,shouty mids ,in a word-unlistenable. So bad got taken out of rotation. Fast forward a few months, got sick of looking at them instead of listening to them and put them back in rotation. Same story, thin bass shouty mids, not good. In desperation I powered down the Crimson 275, and swapped polarity on the right cab. With the same music playing I powered up the KT 120`S and as the music came on I froze in my tracks! BIG FAT SOUND  was coming out! I staggered back to the brown peppered sack in the shotgun shack and layed there transfixed for the rest of the evening. Totally transformed the sound! Upon investigation the next day I found the mid driver wired out of phase in the cab I had the polarity reversed on. So heres the thing, whatever is causing the bass deficiency is cured with reversed polarity. I did all the checks on the bass driver and inspected the crossovers and wiring All good. I left the mid driver out of polarity AFTER THE DIVIDING NETWORK, and am running reversed polarity on the input to the speaker! No I am not kidding. I know this shouldn`t work, but it does. Have tried just running the bass driver out of phase but running the whole cab out of phase and the mid driver out of phase after the crossover seems to work best.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 2:27 PM, mrmojorisin said:

I would like to share my experience with my 1985 Cornwall 1`s ( b-3 crossover). When I got gifted these I installed new diaphrams from simply speakers on both mids and tweets. The resulting listening tests were not good. Weak bass ,shouty mids ,in a word-unlistenable. So bad got taken out of rotation. Fast forward a few months, got sick of looking at them instead of listening to them and put them back in rotation. Same story, thin bass shouty mids, not good. In desperation I powered down the Crimson 275, and swapped polarity on the right cab. With the same music playing I powered up the KT 120`S and as the music came on I froze in my tracks! BIG FAT SOUND  was coming out! I staggered back to the brown peppered sack in the shotgun shack and layed there transfixed for the rest of the evening. Totally transformed the sound! Upon investigation the next day I found the mid driver wired out of phase in the cab I had the polarity reversed on. So heres the thing, whatever is causing the bass deficiency is cured with reversed polarity. I did all the checks on the bass driver and inspected the crossovers and wiring All good. I left the mid driver out of polarity AFTER THE DIVIDING NETWORK, and am running reversed polarity on the input to the speaker! No I am not kidding. I know this shouldn`t work, but it does. Have tried just running the bass driver out of phase but running the whole cab out of phase and the mid driver out of phase after the crossover seems to work best.

If I understand you correctly you are reversing the polarity of the mid drivers on the crossovers. Much the same was done on the AL crossover from the factory. Proof is in the pudding. If it sounds better like you have it let it be. 

As far as the original topic, in regard to getting more bass out of a Cornwall IV, the answer is simple: get them as close to your front wall as possible. The inside corner on my CWIV is 2" from the front wall, the outside corner, because of a fairly aggressive toe-in, is 17.5" from the front wall. 

I would urge anyone wanting more bass out of their CWIV to try a similar positioning. Most people I See with Cornwalls seem to neglect the "wall" aspect of the "Cornwall" name. These speakers are literally not designed to be pulled out 3-5' into the room like your average speaker. That is, unless you love shouty mids that overpower every other band in the FR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoryGillmore said:

As far as the original topic, in regard to getting more bass out of a Cornwall IV, the answer is simple: get them as close to your front wall as possible. The inside corner on my CWIV is 2" from the front wall, the outside corner, because of a fairly aggressive toe-in, is 17.5" from the front wall. 

I would urge anyone wanting more bass out of their CWIV to try a similar positioning. Most people I See with Cornwalls seem to neglect the "wall" aspect of the "Cornwall" name. These speakers are literally not designed to be pulled out 3-5' into the room like your average speaker. That is, unless you love shouty mids that overpower every other band in the FR. 

Excellent Post. 🙂

• Like 1

I wonder how many people return a heritage line speaker before it really gets broken in. I'm in the process of breaking in some Heresy IV and previously broke in a pair of Forte IV's. I'm at about 70 hours on the Heresy and they are not there yet. The Fortes took about 100 hours to arrive at their final sound. The Fortes are the best speaker I've ever owned and absolutely love them. I did not like them when I first got them. Sounded dull and lacked bass. The bass has opened up on the Heresy but there is still some harshness and shoutiness. I'm curious to see if that does away over time. I shirly hope so and expect it to. 

I know this is a controversial topic but my experience is these speakers change a whole lot in the first 100 hours of playback. They improve dramatically. The idea that the OP that returned them couldn't get bass out of a CW IV is laughable. It's rated to 34 hz! My fortes slam like no other speaker I've owned. And they are only rated to 38hz. 

On 4/2/2023 at 8:42 AM, CoryGillmore said:

Interesting post. I am getting to know my Heresy IV's as I just got them 2 weeks ago and Iast night I experienced the same thing when I pulled them too far into the room. Midrange overpowering the sound. A couple records sounded like there was no bass. I moved them back 1.5 inches today and the bass has returned and mids are not so dominant. My Fortes are very responsive to placement and I'm starting to get the same picture of the Heresy. One inch can make a big difference in both speakers. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:07 AM, Ivan said:

In this beautiful video, about the la scala at 19' 28"

"...and you don't like subwoofers, that's not a good move, because these are not good bass speakers..."

I hate watching this. Now I have to by all new stuff.

JJK

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 5:37 PM, Bananas and Blow said:

Interesting post. I am getting to know my Heresy IV's as I just got them 2 weeks ago and Iast night I experienced the same thing when I pulled them too far into the room. Midrange overpowering the sound. A couple records sounded like there was no bass. I moved them back 1.5 inches today and the bass has returned and mids are not so dominant. My Fortes are very responsive to placement and I'm starting to get the same picture of the Heresy. One inch can make a big difference in both speakers. 

Sorry I missed this, I don't check in on the Klipsch forums as much as I used to. Probably something to do with the fact that I haven't purchased audio gear since November 2021, just been so content with my CWIV and Audiolab 6000a Play combo. I mentioned this in another thread, but I believe I was one of the first, if not the first, people to recommend you getting into a Klipsch Heritage speaker. It's cool to see that you've gone and picked up another pair! Though if I remember correctly, you live in a pretty small apartment, has that changed? 

A lot of people recommend subs with the Heresy line. But I would absolutely try placing them closer to the wall just to see. I actually use two subs with my CWIV if the mood strikes me. I've got two cheapo Klipsch subs hooked up to the pre-outs of the Audiolab and crossed over at 40hz, so they just pick up where the CWs fall off. I enjoy them with the subs too, but they lose their speed and precision with the subs enabled. I'm very much interested in a pair of Klipschs new subs, either a pair of 10s or 12s, but due to their massive size, it would damn near require a rearrange of my entire front stage lol.