First Klipsch Recommendations

TubesGlo

To get my feet wet in Klipsch waters I may end up with a pair of Heresy's shipped free at a reasonable price. Unfinished birch, Serial# on one is 

8871356. Heresy II , 1988 week 7 ?

Is 6-700 for the pair reasonable  for all original in good shape? I know bargain hunters may say wait but I'm not seeing them for any less than that in the last month anywhere. Looks like the Forte's I was considering isn't happening.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, CWOReilly said:

@TubesGlo Welcome to the forum! Based on your room dimensions and listening habits I feel you'd enjoy the Heresy or Cornwall. I'd suggest the Cornwall if you'd prefer to "feel" the bass. Both will perform well with the ST-70.

See my last post on page 2

• Like 1

@TubesGloThe Heresy II is a great speaker and I really enjoy mine, but I rarely use them. Last I used them we had rented a huge cabin in the mountains that had vaulted ceilings and they still sounded great and loud upstairs in the loft area. Didn't really need the bass. If you want the bass Cornwalls are the way to go, but the mids on LaScalas blow them away. There are going to be trade offs for whichever you choose. Personally I have not heard Fortes, but I know I don't care for a rear passive due to placement. 

My current setup I have LaScala and Cornwalls A and B powered with an Onkyo M-504. Mostly listen to the LaScalas. Rarely use my 2 subs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

@TubesGloThe Heresy II is a great speaker and I really enjoy mine, but I rarely use them. Last I used them we had rented a huge cabin in the mountains that had vaulted ceilings and they still sounded great and loud upstairs in the loft area. Didn't really need the bass. If you want the bass Cornwalls are the way to go, but the mids on LaScalas blow them away. There are going to be trade offs for whichever you choose. Personally I have not heard Fortes, but I know I don't care for a rear passive due to placement. 

My current setup I have LaScala and Cornwalls A and B powered with an Onkyo M-504. Mostly listen to the LaScalas. Rarely use my 2 subs.

If I could find used Cornwalls at a good price, yes I'd go for them. I figure I can see how I like the Heresy and get used to the Klipsch sound. I'll keep an eye out for Cornwalls and if the right deal comes along,  sell off the Heresy's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TubesGlo said:

If I could find used Cornwalls at a good price, yes I'd go for them. I figure I can see how I like the Heresy and get used to the Klipsch sound. I'll keep an eye out for Cornwalls and if the right deal comes along,  sell off the Heresy's.

Took me a year to find mine and was able to trade for them. Then another 2 years to find LaScalas at reasonable price. Patience is the name of the game.

• Like 3

I enjoy my Heresy IVs and would generally recommend them as first Klipsch.  But from what you've been listening to, I'd recommend Fortes, as new as possible..  I have found the IIIs and IVs very pleasant and "real" sounding with roughly another octave of low bass over the H IVs. 

• Like 3

I haven’t heard the Fortés, but based on everything I’ve read about them, they should be a great entry into the Heritage Series.  They have some of the flattest response curves among all Klipsch speakers, and they’re relatively compact.  They have decent low end response, so a sub is optional, instead of being pretty much mandatory, like with La Scalas.

As usual, the newer the better, and they’re compact enough to fit inside a typical car, unlike the La Scala IIs, which completely filled my minivan when they were in their original boxes.  Patience and cash are the keys.  Put aside some money every month, like you’re making advance payments for the speakers, of whichever model, that you’re going to buy when you find the right ones.  Then, when you finally find them and like their sound, you’ve got all the money you need to act without hesitation, plus enough for some fine delivered food while you listen to your new-to-you speakers.  Besides, as your speaker fund grows every month, your budget can increase with it.  Months or a year from now, who knows what you’ll be able to afford?

Good luck with your quest!

• Like 2

Well here goes....Decision Made.

At 57 I'm late to the tube experience and as much as I love my modified Hafler 500 I'm in love with the sound of my ST-70. I'm keeping it in the family so to speak anyway. Maybe the original Mullard xf2's that test like new along with the fresh new factory style circuit board and other components I replaced that breathed new life into this amp that sat idle for 40 years , just does it for me. This new experience sent me on the quest for Klipsch speakers knowing they could potentially be the perfect match. I knew I wanted a classic pair and discovered the Heritage series, specifically the Heresy IV which was the only new model in my budget. I sought out used but after auditioning the latest offerings I knew that if I purchased used I'd still be wanting the newer version down the road. Heresy sounded great but I wanted a bigger sound without subs. Forte sounded great too but the rear passive radiator presented a potential placement problem in my room. THEN ...I heard Cornwalls and wished I hadn't because that was the sound I wanted at the price I certainly couldn't afford. Even used their pricey and shipping ain't happening. I came to this forum and received great advice for which I'm very appreciative.  I was ready to pull the trigger on Heresy IVs at 2200 shipped free, B stock. Thought I could resell them eventually easy enough and upgrade when feasible. I wanted that Klipsch sound and NOW...the impatient fool that I am. I knew the Cornwalls could be my last pair of speakers and I'd be totally cool with that . I couldn't spend 6500 but I could spend that 2200 for the Heresy's OR.....for less than 2000 buy what I needed from Crites and build Cornscala's type B. I ordered the kit yesterday and bought the Baltic Birch shortly after. Starting to cut the panels tomorrow and the kit arrives Friday. Not Klipsch but a tribute. Some will hate and I understand. I really did want the genuine artifact but I just couldn't swing the expense and wouldn't have been happy with anything that wasn't very close to the Cornwall sound. Here is a picture of their new home, room 14w x 20d. Boxed mains for the theater are recessed in wall to left and right of screen...sliding the new 2ch speakers out to the walls when watching a movie will be my weekly exercise. Thank you one and all and I'm sorry if any are offended ....I did come here seeking advice on Klipsch and came across this Cornscala concept at the end of the journey

Regards,

Jim

20210728_204550_copy_2100x1575.jpg

Edited by TubesGlo
Spelling
  • Like 3

Congratulations on your decision. I’ve owned Bobs cornscalas in the past too. The Cornwall IV is the better speaker hands down. But the cornscalas play big and bold and are a lot of fun. It looks like you have a beautiful room and they’ll fit right in there. Good luck.

Shakey

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TubesGlo said:

I couldn't spend 6500 but I could spend that 2200 for the Heresy's OR.....for less than 2000 buy what I needed from Crites and build Cornscala's type B. I ordered the kit yesterday and bought the Baltic Birch shortly after. Starting to cut the panels tomorrow and the kit arrives Friday. Not Klipsch but a tribute. Some will hate and I understand. I really did want the genuine artifact but I just couldn't swing the expense and wouldn't have been happy with anything that wasn't very close to the Cornwall sound. Here is a picture of their new home, room 14w x 20d. Boxed mains for the theater are recessed in wall to left and right of screen...sliding the new 2ch speakers out to the walls when watching a movie will be my weekly exercise. Thank you one and all and I'm sorry if any are offended ....I did come here seeking advice on Klipsch and came across this Cornscala concept at the end of the journey

Regards,

Jim

I don't think you are going to offened anyone. You made a great choice. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Congratulations on the CornScala, @TubesGlo!!

They're a very good aperitif, setting you up for the meal later once you find some Cornwalls or La Scala at a reasonable price to A/B.  I've not heard a pair of CornScala in person, but from what I've read they are positioned around the La Scala level in the pyramid.  They will fill your room with wonderful sound. 

Klipschorns would be problematic in your room due to the corner placement, which would involve a total redesign of your custom woodwork. 

I think you made the right choice given the situation with your "gotta have it now" affliction, from which I also suffer.  One other piece of advice:  Don't ignore the Klipsch Professional line of products.  You can find the Pro La Scala, Heresy, or Cornwall versions occasionally.  I latched onto a pair of KP-3002's that are the trapezoidal shaped, "rat fur" covered Pros.  I absolutely love them and utilize them in a near-field listening layout as my desktop speakers (in a 7.1 surround setup with Heresy mids, KPT-1000's as the rears, and KP-100's as the centers).   I think that the Pro models would look very appropriate in your room with a drum kit on a riser.

The KP-3002's sound incredible and do not need any help in the bass department.  You can find them at very reasonable prices (think less than $1k).  They sound just as sweet at low power levels as they do at 120db.  Or more.  Yes, I know I'm a little bit crazy using them less than 3 feet from my head:   (for size reference, my monitor is a 55" 4k Sony TV...)

Desktop.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 10:07 PM, Islander said:

Patience and cash are the keys.  Put aside some money every month, like you’re making advance payments for the speakers, of whichever model, that you’re going to buy when you find the right ones.  Then, when you finally find them and like their sound, you’ve got all the money you need to act without hesitation, plus enough for some fine delivered food while you listen to your new-to-you speakers.  Besides, as your speaker fund grows every month, your budget can increase with it.  Months or a year from now, who knows what you’ll be able to afford?

That's actually a brilliant strategy, and one I never considered.

I'll have to chime in again and say I HAVE heard Forte's, and they are insane, and even better at used prices. The $600-$700 for the Heresy pair the OP has found is pretty reasonable if they're in decent shape. And the suggestion to expand the search and include Choruses is an excellent suggestion, even though they're not technically a "Heritage" speaker.

The Forte's and Choruses could be had for less than Cornwalls and yet still give that horn loaded, Klipsch sound. Heresies are about as common as Forte's on the used market, and with patience either will surely appear again on craigslist, Offer Up, Facebook Marketplace, eBay (shop by Nearest Distance).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Choruses would be my pick after La Scalas. Fully horn loaded would be my preference, but being honest, it's hard to go wrong with most any of the larger Klipsch. Lots of stuff in the pro line, too, and if pretty looks don't matter, you can find it way less expensive on the used market.  Being used pro gear doesn't necessarily mean it has been abused, either.

• Like 2

Kind of a toss up in some ways. The Chorus probably has more WAF, although my late wife wouldn't have cared about looks so much. She put up with me having microphone cables strung through the house with musicians everywhere.

My current precious wife knows audio stuff is my passion and puts up with me, too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Kind of a toss up in some ways. The Chorus probably has more WAF

IMO, Chorus easily win on bass response, (pro woofer chest "thump"  is awesome) They fit better in medium sized rooms, & are easier to move. (Try getting LaScalas in a car...)

LaScala wins the mid horn battle (but can't thump your chest w/o a sub, which then creates even more size/space problems...) 

• Thanks 1