The Speaker Formerly Known As Klipsch

Racer  X

I thought I would recap 10 things I learned from the Technical / Modifications forum:

1)  Your caps are old and bad.  You need Crites' Sonicaps, no Solens, no only Delgado approved JEMs.  Then ditch all that and buy new crossovers.

2)  You need a Super Heresy.  Buy new woofers, get a hole saw, and go to town.

3)  Passive crossovers are too easy.  You need to triamp with an Xilica active digital crossover.

4)  Crappy 18 ga stranded zip cord was good enough for PWK, so any other wire is not authentic Klipsch.

5)  You Jubilee people are wussies, you need MCMs with 18 ga stranded zip cord.

6)  It's damp, not dampen.  I'm not pedantic, I just refuse to recognize common synonyms.

7)  SET amps won't drive 105 db efficient speakers adequately, the speakers drive them as they are under damped (or is it dampened ?) and you're enjoying the reverb, but it's not accurate.

8.  Your tweeters aren't tweety enough, ditch the K77s and get 120s or 125s.

9)  Your K55s are no good unless they have solder lugs and two piece phase plugs.

10)  My personal favorite:  You can not put enough wood on the back of a Heresy.  

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Adding dynamat to the woofer baskets and the inside and outside of your horns helps but massive well placed bracing in every heritage cabinet and then placing them on high rise stands are required to even listen without fatigue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well if we're doing this, here's some more for those that care to remember PWK and his unique audio philosophies (as I try to), plus some other "audiophile pundits" along the way: 

Chris

[b][i]ae) The "I can hear down to X Hertz on MY subwoofer(s)" argument, actually, this is a variation of the "Golden Ears" argument.  [EDIT (17 Apr 2021)--For subwoofers that have very clean output with low harmonic distortion levels, localization of low frequency energy below ~50-60 Hz is not possible in home hi-fi-sized rooms.] [/i[/b]

Chris could you elaborate on this one for me?

3 hours ago, geezin' said:

[b][i]ae) The "I can hear down to X Hertz on MY subwoofer(s)" argument, actually, this is a variation of the "Golden Ears" argument.  [EDIT (17 Apr 2021)--For subwoofers that have very clean output with low harmonic distortion levels, localization of low frequency energy below ~50-60 Hz is not possible in home hi-fi-sized rooms.] [/i[/b]

Chris could you elaborate on this one for me?

Below about 50-60 Hz, if the output of the subwoofer is very clean, (i.e., it has very low harmonic distortion), I've found that subwoofer localization in-room is virtually impossible.  If you can hear a subwoofer's location while it is playing below ~60 Hz, what you're probably listening to its distortion, not the signal being fed to it.

When I compare the output of my TH subs (DIY "SPUDs") in their positions behind the Jubs, they are basically impossible to locate below their 40 Hz low pass crossover frequency, i.e., I have to turn each one on and measure them separately to sense that each is playing as it should. What this placement does is allow the extra absorption around the Jubilees and subwoofers to absorb the higher frequency harmonics--because that material just isn't effective below ~100 Hz, so that absorption material really can't absorb the prime output that is actually sought below 100 Hz.  This is quite a different experience than those I've had with direct radiating subwoofers. 

This is usually a very unpopular subject, especially among those that promote direct radiating subwoofers over well designed horn-loaded subwoofers.  This is the same kind of idea that Earl Geddes uses in his Summa series models (i.e., whose horns that he filled with open-cell foam) to attenuate the off-axis higher order modes (HOMs).

Chris

Ok Randy, you're obviously bothered by this so I'll tell you about a secret I've been keeping.....

A couple-few years ago after fixing up my speakers, PWK came to me in a dream one night. He said "Son, I see that you and others have changed the components in your speakers".......and then he said, "What's up with that?"

Then I said to him, "Sir, forgive me.....I have strayed but mean no harm". Then I went on to explain. "It's like this, Sir. My poorly made speakers were literally falling apart at the seems. The cheaply made woofers were blown with no replacements to purchase from Klipsch. The crossovers were faulty after only eight years of use. The tweeter diaphragms sucked from the beginning. The mid drivers were fine but I was on a roll so I changed them anyway. (After all how could I not after all of John Allen's extensive research)"

Then Paul said "Do they still sound like Klipsch?" Then I said "Yes father.....only better".

Paul looked me square in the eye and said he was gonna kick my arse.

Then he lightened up and said "Ok, ok......I'll let it slide since the crossover values are still the same and you had good intentions".

Then he told me I was a handsome young man and told me to rock out and tell RandyH to relax.

That's how it went down. Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3