Jump to content

Why I Have Exotic Speaker Cables


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

My Non Audiophile friends really loved my old Electro Voice Interface D's! 

 

One of my favorites too.  Kind of wish I'd kept them (gave them to wife's nephew) as I'd have fun playing with biamping them now that I've got the goods to biamp with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rolox said:

Oh and McIntosh... typical "status symbol, pride of ownership, made in the USA" brand. Not saying it's bad stuff, but when someone has a lot of money and wants a crazy "sound system" to impress guests, that's one of the recurrent brands. Very expensive and very easy to recognize even by non-audiophile people. Just like Rolex is the go-to luxury watch brand for status symbol.


 

Dam what a fool I’ve been …… !!!  thinking I bought my McIntosh C50 because it has important features and great build quality and that I believe it provided great sound reproduction and to find out instead that “although it isn’t bad” it was about “status symbol” and to “impress guest”.

 

miketn 👍🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Marvel said:

You mean the difference between AC/DC and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra?

 

No, I meant the degree to which they care about what they hear, not about what they listen to😉

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Edgar said:

No, I meant the degree to which they care about what they hear, not about what they listen to😉

Sorry I didn't put a smiley on my post. I was kidding, of course...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Kind of wish I'd kept them...

You could have used the external eq along with DJK's LaScala bass mod, too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some McIntosh owners are getting butt hurt about @Rolox comments. Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't want to put words in his mouth. But I don't think he meant ALL Mac owners. Sure there are some that really like the way their gear sounds. But you have to admit there are a lot of posers that buy McIntosh, B&W, Wilson, etc. because:

 

 1) It's expensive, so it must be good 

or

 

 2) It's a brand that people recognize, so it's a status symbol

 

I don't think his remarks were meant to be all encompassing, but it's a pretty good representation of buyers of these brands.

 

Hell, most people say that horn lovers have tin ears. We know better, but that's the conventional wisdom among many.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Coytee said:

 

One of my favorites too.  Kind of wish I'd kept them (gave them to wife's nephew) as I'd have fun playing with biamping them now that I've got the goods to biamp with.

It was a mistake selling them, especially since my  pair had brand NEW woofers in them. Joe up at Electro Voice told me he had the last pair of brand new woofers left, so I bought them. Few speakers I know of would shake a room quite like a properly working pair of Interface D's ! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

 

I have found that most people hear pretty well, once taught what to listen for. What really distinguishes audiophiles from non-audiophiles is the degree to which they care about what they hear.

Yes.

1 hour ago, ka7niq said:

I have found that my non audiophile friends seldom appreciated transparent  sounding systems with great imaging I have had, over the years.

Sad but true and iPhones and ear buds are good enough for most.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

Few speakers I know of would shake a room quite like a properly working pair of Interface D's ! 

AMEN to that!  I also had in my signal chain a 3bx and a subharmonic synthesizer (and an Audio Control C-101 EQ).

 

It really brought them alive and you could just FEEEEEL the room shake.  I always said they shook the foundation while my LaScalas were busy punching you in the chest.  It could be quite a visceral experience.....especially when stuffed into a college dorm room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Some McIntosh owners are getting butt hurt about @Rolox comments. Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't want to put words in his mouth. But I don't think he meant ALL Mac owners.

 

7 hours ago, Rolox said:

Exactly. I do not MEAN to be a jerk or to diminish anybody. But it is a fact, critical listening is a skill and is something one learns and practices. That being said, just enjoying one's system as it is and just enjoying the tunes without caring is absolutely fine, as long as you don't make fun of those who need to go further. We all have different expectations / needs / etc. Keeping an open mind is mandatory.

 

Its not about being “butt hurt” @Shakeydeal it’s about “Keeping an open mind is mandatory” statement yet he looked at McIntosh owners in somewhat the same way as others look at those who believe in cable differences and this goes on all the time in all aspects of our Audio Reproduction Hobby. It’s easy to recognize closed and assuming minds when its directed toward your beliefs/experiences in some way yet so easy to not recognize when we are doing it towards another person’s beliefs/experiences.

 

miketn

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mikebse2a3 said:

 

 

Its not about being “butt hurt” @Shakeydeal it’s about “Keeping an open mind is mandatory” statement yet he looked at McIntosh owners in somewhat the same way as others look at those who believe in cable differences and this goes on all the time in all aspects of our Audio Reproduction Hobby. It’s easy to recognize closed and assuming minds when its directed toward your beliefs/experiences in some way yet so easy to not recognize when we are doing it towards another person’s beliefs/experiences.

 

miketn

 

Ok, you like the way McIntosh sounds. I get it. No problem for me. But like I said earlier, I don't think he meant that about every Mac owner. On the flip side, most people who say wire = wire condemn ALL enthusiasts who believe otherwise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2022 at 12:40 PM, ka7niq said:
 
I have to put an old 2 channel preamp that does NOT use any OP Amps,, because if I don't, he will refuse to listen to my system with me!

I installed the Huge Power Cord, yet he still refused to listen, saying the power cord needed a few days to "season".

 
I told him I had the arrows going towards the pre amp, LOL
He told me that I "ruined his interconnects", until I told him I was just messing with him!

He is a good guy, and a longtime friend, and not a stupid person either.
But I almost feel sorry for him ......
 

 

He sounds like a pretty knowledgeable guy.  He should become a reviewer. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Ok, but dos it sound the same as a Crown amp? How about a Sony receiver? Any difference?

Have no idea what you are talking about, and I never said anything close to that.  Feel free to retract your comment if you were serious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:


 

Dam what a fool I’ve been …… !!!  thinking I bought my McIntosh C50 because it has important features and great build quality and that I believe it provided great sound reproduction and to find out instead that “although it isn’t bad” it was about “status symbol” and to “impress guest”.

 

miketn 👍🤪

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Have no idea what you are talking about, and I never said anything close to that.  Feel free to retract your comment if you were serious.

 

Very serious. I didn't say you said that. I'm asking you if that is your opinion, as it is of some others on this forum. Amp = amp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course not.

 

1 minute ago, Shakeydeal said:

Very serious. I didn't say you said that. I'm asking you if that is your opinion, as it is of some others on this forum. Amp = amp.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Edgar said:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

With repeatable experiments that reach the same measurable outcome repeatably in different locations most notably anechoic chambers when referring to audio

 

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

As crazy as it may sound I have a a fair number of repeat visitors here to listen to the Super MWM's. Zip cords sprawled on the floor and big ugly duratex coated boxes and no fancy electronics except the Xilicas. Hearing is believing though :D

Amen. Only heard them once and WOW. Dave folks here don't know what you got. "She's my little deuce coupe S-MWMs, you don't know what I got".

 

 I think it is so funny that people want to debate about cables and amplifiers when their transducers(speakers) are producing so much AM and IM distortion and the room reflections, reverberation and room modes are causing other artifacts.

Of course differences can be heard......Enjoy the music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...