Beat up LaScala finished in Duratex

jvs1670

The speaker spent it's life at a school, had a hard life getting banged around for the last 40 years or so. It really is the perfect center for the Khorns, movies are now at the next level compared to anything else I've tried.  I've tried a Cornwall, Chorus II, Heresy, and an Academy, none were up to the job compared to this one.

• Like 5

On 4/7/2023 at 7:34 AM, henry4841 said:

Not many speakers could survive that test and and still function. Kids can tear up an anvil. 

That was my father's favorite saying:  If I bought you an anvil for Christmas, you would have it broken by Easter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/6/2023 at 12:53 PM, jvs1670 said:

This thing was visually trashed but it sounded just fine, just a little work and some Duratex made it presentable again.  I'm looking for a Klipsch copper badge for the front, anyone looking to sell a single badge?

5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Nice work! You probably know but you could snag a number of aftermarket replica or quasi-replica badges from eBay that'd probably be more than acceptable given you ventured outside of a factory restore. I think this would look pretty cool, gold coming out of the all-black background. But they have pies and whatever else, too. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=klipsch+badges&_sacat=0

image.png.c44f344cdcfdc487853975cc169ed590.png

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 6:51 PM, Marvel said:

Ask her if she would like a prettier pair of the same speakers... 🤣

Yeah!  A pair of La Scalas at the back of the room rounds things out just right.  A Khorn/La Scala set of 5.0 speakers makes for great sound;  Just add a subwoofer or two and you have a premium 5.1/5.2 Surround system.

• 3 months later...

@jvs1670 I'm glad my center channel LaScala's neglected brother found a good home and is getting the attention it deserves! Great work on the restoration, it looks fantastic! Maybe one day I'll restore mine, but I'm fine with the scars from high schoolers for now. 

On 4/22/2023 at 12:11 AM, Islander said:

Yeah!  A pair of La Scalas at the back of the room rounds things out just right.  A Khorn/La Scala set of 5.0 speakers makes for great sound;  Just add a subwoofer or two and you have a premium 5.1/5.2 Surround system.

I have khorns for rears and the sound is heavenly. I can't imagine needing to add a dedicated sub (nor is there anywhere to put it haha). 

Screenshot_20230726_111912_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 10:31 AM, archdukeobvious said:

@jvs1670 I'm glad my center channel LaScala's neglected brother found a good home and is getting the attention it deserves! Great work on the restoration, it looks fantastic! Maybe one day I'll restore mine, but I'm fine with the scars from high schoolers for now. 

I have khorns for rears and the sound is heavenly. I can't imagine needing to add a dedicated sub (nor is there anywhere to put it haha).

Nice setup!  Bet it sounds great.  But.  Yes, a but.  As your system gets better and better, the Buts get more and more expensive, but now and then, something simple can be overlooked, and not cost much to sort out.  I'll just suggest something minor that might, or should, produce an immediate improvement in the bass response of your left-side Khorn.  To the left side of that speaker is the railing of a staircase, instead of the wall beside the right speaker that serves as the last few feet of the bass horn.  It would be easy and cheap (my favourite kind of audio tweak) to obtain a small sheet of maybe 1/4", or even 1/2", good-looking plywood that would fit into your decor, depending on the wood you choose, probably light-coloured walnut (if I'm correct and that's what your speaker is made of).

Just to try out the concept, you wouldn't need to carefully match the wood to anything, but if it does do the job it should, it will improve the bass response, plus you'll get nearly the same timbre from the left speaker as you get from the right.  When  the sound moves from one side to the other,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  the sound moves from one side to the other, the sound will be noticeably more consistent throughout the frequency range.  Another instance is when the musician on one side is playing a duet with the player or singer on the other side.  It should also improve your imaging, like in the duet situation I just mentioned.  That would also give you a better sense of the performance space.  Does it sound closed in, like a small club, or big and open, like an arena?  To get it just right, you'd want the false wall, to give it its proper name, to be as tall as the speaker and around 48"/120 cm wide, measured from the room's wall to the other edge of the plywood.  So that's the completed side/false wall, which you would need to secure to avoid vibration android getting any marks on your Khorn.

How's that for cheap and easy?  Almost forgot something.  Since the false wall would be on the speaker side of the railing, it will tend to keep the music in the music room.  The Heritage Series speakers are quite directional.  With my La Scala IIs, I can set them to play quite loudly in the living room, in front of  the speakers, and yet when I'm in the kitchen, in sight of the living room, the volume sounds quite a bit lower, and I may be unable to make out the words of an unfamiliar song.  Isn't it good to be able to listen to your music or TV show without bothering the rest of your family?  The false wall would  increase that effect.