Why are equipment usually between speakers and not on sidewall.

Hedrus

I am changing my listening room and want to place my equipment on sidewall, not between speakers. The room is 5.7 meter wide and 6.6 meter deep.

why do we always place it middle.

I know speaker cables would be shorter, but if they are 6 feet longer does it really matter?

I am using Cornwall 4 and Cary 80HS

the reason i can’t test is because my stuff is in storage while remodelling.

please tell me it will be okey. I am keen for different layout in my room.

Thanks for great forum.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Welcome

I see no problem with equipment on the side wall, longer cables/wires should make no difference.

If it fits you and the room better no reason not to, I would say you could hear no difference with a 2 meter wire or a 20 meter wire.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hedrus said:

I am changing my listening room and want to place my equipment on sidewall, not between speakers. The room is 5.7 meter wide and 6.6 meter deep.

I know speaker cables would be shorter, but if they are 6 feet longer does it really matter?

Thanks for great forum.

Welcome. 

Because we like to look at our glowing tubes or blue meters. Just esthetics, nothing more. Never understood why people put monoblock amps directly on the floor either. 

As you surmise, an additional 6', 10', even 25' will make no audible difference. 

I think you will see more and more move their racks to the side to make room for the new Heritage Sub that's been announced to sit up front with their Heritage speakers. 

Welcome to the Forum.

Travis

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Welcome. 

Because we like to look at our glowing tubes or blue meters. Just esthetics, nothing more. Never understood why people put monoblock amps directly on the floor either. 

As you surmise, an additional 6', 10', even 25' will make no audible difference. 

I think you will see more and more move their racks to the side to make room for the new Heritage Sub that's been announced to sit up front with their Heritage speakers. 

Welcome to the Forum.

Travis

Agreed! However, if running a Heritage center speaker (e.g. La Scala) in a Home Theater setup, one might consider two of the new Heritage subs to give a more balanced aesthetic!   😉

• Like 1

Some people like to proudly display all their expensive equipment.  They spent a bunch of money on it and they are very proud and want everyone to take notice!  Personally, I don't like all of the clutter! I don't live in a college dorm room anymore!  I agree with Travis of Austin wondering why people put these obnoxiously large amplifiers right in the middle of everything.  I guess they can then display their obnoxiously large speaker cables and expensive cable risers for all to gawk at.

I'm my future home theater, all of the electrical gear will be in a separate room.  I can't stand all of the annoying lights on the power conditioners, amps, etc.  At least now a lot of manufactures give you the option of turning all of the annoyingly bright lights down or off.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, Hedrus said:

Thanks for great forum.

Actually that the way I have the lab setup. Ideally there should nothing between the speakers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

Travis has a release date been announced on the Heritage sub?  Will there be more than one option and wood grain?  TIA.

Hi John!

All I can tell you is what I have seen Roy post here, and other social media. 

4 Sizes. 

Scheduled for Spring release. But Roy doesn't sign off on anything until he feels they are ready. I'm sure if all had their druthers they would be good to go by this Holiday Season but he has told them to do right, Spring. One lousy, stinking part can be an unexpected delay. 

At the class, he will be demonstrating all (some may be finished, some naked prototypes) and how to get the proper extension with all speakers. A dive into electronics, etc. 

I get information, with others on my team, on a "need to know"  which means the amount of information to properly arrange for the class, proper facilities, equipment, etc. We did get some more photos which we incorporate into the flyer (Monday if not sooner), and associated materials.

Woods available, it is my complete and total speculation that they will select woods/stain that would have the most potential for sales. Which would be the current lineup (Black, Cherry and Walnut????) and possibly some others that had significant sales over the years, but that's a total guess. I don't know if they will be offered raw. 

I lot of these questions we will be able to answer after the class, but I anticipate as with the past two classes, there are some that they are working out. One thing I learned being involved in the Museum Edition team, there are a great many aspects to building production speakers that I had never even considered, and there is a considerable amount I don't know. There are multiple supply chains and so forth. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peacemaker said:

Agreed! However, if running a Heritage center speaker (e.g. La Scala) in a Home Theater setup, one might consider two of the new Heritage subs to give a more balanced aesthetic!   😉

Well 2 subs are definitely better than one! I always say the best stands for Heresys are subs!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hedrus said:

One reason I believe is our built-in desire for order, organization, or symmetry. It's subconscious.

Another reason is, it makes the room look like a shrine or altar, and we DO worship our equipment, don't we?!

Seriously; it doesn't matter and might be better off to the side as you'll focus on the music rather than be mesmerized

by all the LEDs. The only practical issue might be remote controls not working if the sensor doesn't see the remote.

Best to test first to see how far off-axis you can get the remotes to work.

Cable length is unimportant; the extra resistance is not worth discussing and the same goes if the lengths of the left vs. right

speaker cable were non-equal. The signal is traveling at near the speed of light. You won't notice any left vs. right delay.

Thank you all for the replies. The answer was what I was hoping for.

Another question is, how big sin is it to have another set of speakers next to your Cornwalls .I have two systems, a Dolby and Stereo. 
Two 600m on floor standers and a centre on a floor stander.

I have tried to have an all in one system before but found it difficult the achieve great results. My Dolby is driven by Marantz 8015 and Stereo by the Cary tubes.

should I maybe rather consider in-wall for LRC for my Atmos?
 Thank you again for replies and kind welcome notes.

I agree that ideally nothing between the speakers is the best way to go. It doesn’t really work in my room because I have an interior door and closet on one side wall and an exterior door and records on the other wall. But I try to keep the speakers forward of the plane of the rack. That’s the next best solution.