What internet speeds do you have available?

Marvel

Our local power company has the best rates here in Chattanooga. I'm using ATT fiber (gigabit). About the same price as the power company, EPB. Was looking at their website tonight, and they are aiming pretty high. WE are a north-south and east-west location. I certainly don't need these speeds, or empty my wallet, but you would certainly have bragging rights.

EPB_fiber.jpg

• Like 2

I was downloading some Windows Server updates and was still able to register 78.6 mbs down and 94.06 mbs up, between Chattanooga and Tucker, GA. That's with ATT fiber.

At work I’ve got two separate 1Gbps fiber connections that each feed into their own switch.

The switches are then cross connected to each other and then into a high availability pair of firewalls for a pretty decent amount of redundancy.

If either of the ISP’s, either of the switches, or either of the firewalls goes down, we might miss a few packets but the folks on campus typically won’t notice a thing.

I’ve started setting up our remote offices with dual VPN tunnels back to campus, one over each ISP.

Routing through the VPN tunnels is managed via an SD-WAN zone.

I have some SLA rules set up to monitor the individual tunnels so if one gets slow it will automatically route through the one with the better connection.

Again, it usually switches fast enough the folks at the remote office barely even notice.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have no idea, to be honest. I just noticed that in some rooms, the connection is worse than in others. I started to do some research and actually found an app which I'm going to download on my iPhone to check the WiFi speed in different locations https://apps.apple.com/us/app/netspot-wifi-map-speed-test/id1490247223?ls=8. I didn't know that something like that even exists.

Edited by gillrich
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Just now, fiber optic I think they call it. It's fast.  Now my computer is the slowest part. 

Now if I knew how to copy a page better than this.

Result ID

DOWNLOAD Mbps
 UPLOAD Mbps
Ping ms  4  8  90

Connections
Multi

Poplarville, MS

CoastConnect

H

• Like 1

One of the prices I pay for living rural is crap 'net service. All that's available is satellite (no way) DSL (same) and 5G. It's decent tonight but sometimes I cannot even get phone service. They tell me there's nothing wrong even though my phone says SOS where it should be bars. Frustrating to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geezin' said:

One of the prices I pay for living rural is crap 'net service. All that's available is satellite (no way) DSL (same) and 5G. It's decent tonight but sometimes I cannot even get phone service. They tell me there's nothing wrong even though my phone says SOS where it should be bars. Frustrating to say the least.

Yep I'm there too!

Five years ago I had Gigabit in Charlotte for just a little more than the 35Mbps I get up here!

It is a lot more quiet, if I walk down to the lake I'll see stars like I haven't since I was in the boondocks south of Cape Canaveral.

• Like 1

Starlink is crap anymore. It would be a step above Hughes etc or Viasuck I guess. We live right over city limits line where there was no internet so I've been using manipulated tablet plans from AT&T for 4 years and added a T-Mobile $10 business tablet plan on in a 5G modem where I can lock in on 5G SA bands. Getting 300 down and 10 up typically...for 10 bucks a month.  I also do this for my inlaws who did live out by a lake and only options was Viasuck.  Dropped that and added an outdoor modem that was way better and faster.  Moved them to town due to health issues and kept same setup since it's cheaper.  

But as luck would have it, they buried conduit and will be putting in fiber over next 2 months. I'll still keep the TM tablet plan for backup. 

• Like 2