lets see YOUR two channel setups

This is not your normal setup, plus it's a full work in progress, but we did need some sort of music while we have been slaving away since October...OK, didn't get to install this till February till we started to work on the interior(aka rip the ceiling down), butl.... say hello to a pair of KHO-7's in the wheelhouse of our boat. (35' 1969 Chris Craft Commander) I had jerrry-rigged a portable amp to drive them temporarily till we decide on how we are going to permanently power them as we are still working on the 12V electric. My buddy was like, they're a little big, but then once I got them hooked up, he was like wow those sound awesome from that little crap amp. Only thing is, bass drops significantly once you get outside the open wheelhousse enclosure, which isn't horrible. We might get kicked out of the cove with these if we crank it up anyways. :-) hey I wouldn't mind.

IMG_5004.sized.jpg

IMG_5029.sized.jpg

Don't worry, I'll post pictures again once the wood is sanded down and re-stained and varnished with a finsihed ceiling and clean deck.

" Which drivers are these? Did you build the enclosures? What is the efficiency?"

Sorry for the late response, here.

The drivers are the older version (non-rolled-edge whizzer cone) PM2A. If I remember right, they are rated at about 97-98dB or so in free air, and around 100dBs or so in rear-loaded horns. The cabinets are the Medallion IIs from Lowther America, during the time Tony Glynn was at the helm. The cabinet is actually based on the original Lowther Acousta horn, which was wider and not as tall. The Medallion II was designed by Jennifer Crock of Jenna-Labs. I was going to build the horn from scratch, but just did not have access to a decent table saw in order to make the odd angle cuts of the internal folded horn. So, I purchased the flat kit, and put them together. This was back in '98 or so, when Welborne Labs and Lowther America put their heads together and offered an outstanding value: Welborne Labs Moondogs (complete unbuilt kit with tubes) and the Lowther PM2As and unbuilt/unfinished Medallion II cabinets. Lowthers have an almost electrostatic like transparency, a good thing, but also have some drawbacks (there are always compromises). I've heard that AERs, such as those recently sold in the Garage, are much smoother, and all around better, but I'm attached to these old PM2As. They honestly sound better to me all the time. They have enormous magnets, and extremely low excursion, which is why they really benefit from horn loading. I know some people who experimented with both the PM2A and slightly more efficient PM5A in bass reflex cabinets, and very much disliked the results. Others were okay with it, but I've not tried them in a ported enclosure for myself. I also once filled the internal voids inside the cabinet, some of which are pretty big, with dry playsand to damp the cabinet (someone advised me to do that -- Tony Glynn said NO!!!), which it did. It took hours to get the sand in by duty-designed holes in the back, and I not only damped the cabinet completely, I destroyed the sound. I made a vacuum attachment for the shop-Vac, and sucked out every last grain of sand to get it back to where it was. Jennifer Crock also told me to line the entire length of the horn, or as much of it as I could get to with felt, and I had meant to give that a try but never did. She called it the Medallion Completion kit. She makes some nice wire, but kind of expensive. I used a long pair of Jenna-Labs ICs for awhile back then, but decided not to keep them.

I had been looking at Lowthers for a few years, being really interested in the single, (sort of) full-range driver approach. This, in addition to the SET 'thing' gave me a good way of getting into both, but I admit I had to sort of close my eyes and jump. I loved the sound, but the drivers did take quite a bit of time to break in. The surrounds tend to be tight, and just need to work in. These things taught what music can sound like without a crossover in the equation, which I'm sure is very much like what those using active frequency dividing experience.

Jim: Yah! ;)

Erik

Here is a shot a few days before we bought the boat. It was floating, but that's about it, engine didn't run, interior was mess, electrical was all shot. So we have pulled those Ford 427's out, dropped in Chevy 454's, sanded all wood down(well almost, still in progress), pulled all new electric.... bent shaft, rudders, mold and mildew. It's been fun everyweekend since Oct.

IMG_4440_001.sized.jpg

Lots of photos here. Wouldn't know where to start if I had to post things.

Back to the Audio, so were still debating if we want an external amp. We are going to be running a Car Stereo head unit to drive a pair of Polk Audio 6x9's inside the cabin, and the Klipsch KHO's in the wheelhouse. Were getting a unit that has a 7" touchscreen so we can play DVD's, which we eventually hope to use extra video output to drive an eventual 27" LCD on the inside. Well the headunit looks like around 17W RMS, 55 peak, which should be good with the higher sensitivity of the KHO's....but that's into a 4ohm load, and the KHO is 8ohm.... Adding in an extra amp will only draw extra current from our house battery, so it's a toss up. I'd rather have the extra power due to the higher load, but my buddy rather not have the extra draw, and doesn't see us needing to play it loud. I'm just worried about a clean undistorted signal.

If Klipsch only had some car speakers... *cough*

Here is a shot a few days before we bought the boat. It was floating, but that's about it, engine didn't run, interior was mess, electrical was all shot. So we have pulled those Ford 427's out, dropped in Chevy 454's, sanded all wood down(well almost, still in progress), pulled all new electric.... bent shaft, rudders, mold and mildew. It's been fun everyweekend since Oct.

IMG_4440_001.sized.jpg

Lots of photos here. Wouldn't know where to start if I had to post things.

Back to the Audio, so were still debating if we want an external amp. We are going to be running a Car Stereo head unit to drive a pair of Polk Audio 6x9's inside the cabin, and the Klipsch KHO's in the wheelhouse. Were getting a unit that has a 7" touchscreen so we can play DVD's, which we eventually hope to use extra video output to drive an eventual 27" LCD on the inside. Well the headunit looks like around 17W RMS, 55 peak, which should be good with the higher sensitivity of the KHO's....but that's into a 4ohm load, and the KHO is 8ohm.... Adding in an extra amp will only draw extra current from our house battery, so it's a toss up. I'd rather have the extra power due to the higher load, but my buddy rather not have the extra draw, and doesn't see us needing to play it loud. I'm just worried about a clean undistorted signal.

If Klipsch only had some car speakers... *cough*

That's some beautiful wood.

Lots of work to do on the boat. What's the famous saying? A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into!

It is obviously a passion you are pouring yourselves into. You might still check out the Sonic Impact. It is a digital amp, and around 8 watts and can actually run on batteries. Current drain is very love for the output. Only around $60 from Parts Express. One of our members used one to power his Industrial LaScalas out in the desert. Way cool

post-7149-13819367864896_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...