OT-- The beast is back

Marvel

I can't thank all of you enough for the kind comments and prayers offered when I posted about my wife finding a new spot of melanoma in early July.

After surgery and early tests, all seemed to be going well. However, when she went to have stitches out, she asked the surgical oncologist if he would remove acouple of other spots and have them biopsied. He obliged and they have turned out to be metastatic. More tests... CT and PET scan. A spot shows up on her pelvic bone (back of her hip). Did a bone biopsy last Friday. Met with the oncologist today and it has indeed metastisized in the bone.

I won't go into the statistics. They are not encouraging at all. Needless to say, my wife is still pretty young (54) and in good health. We aren't giving up yet. There is no real cure for this, only prolonging the inevitable. More meetings and decisions to be made now.

Ramble... ramble...

I AM taking a break from here now. We have a lot to do, and as much as I like hanging around here, my priorities lie elsewhere.

Prayers are most welcome. Good thoughts too, from those who don't believe in prayer. Just keep Barbara and I in mind. The victory has already been won.

Thanks

Bruce

Goddam cancer! Please, Bruce, if there is anything I can do, let me know: blood in Barbara's name, etc. I will most certainly keep you and her in my prayers and thoughts. I know there are MANY here who will do whatever they can.

I'll definately keep you and your wife in my prayers, and we can all try to believe in miracles. My 85 year old grandmom is a colon cancer surviver, even after having her entire large intestines removed 12 years ago. May your wife experience the same kind of loving miracle!12.gif

Bruce, I don't think any of us understand why bad things happen to good people, but please know that there are many of us out here praying for your family, as well all others facing the same challenges. Our prayers and hearts are with you and Barbara. a fellow forum family member, patrick

You've got all my positive thoughts... you are good people.

I hope you interpret this the right way... as a wise old man once told me that "worrying" was a waste of energy, as you can't change things out of your control. His view of life was to enjoy what he had, and I have rarely seen such an upbeat person. This was even more striking considering the rough life he had.

Think positive, enjoy, and try not to worry about it...

Rob

I debated on weather or not to post this but I also needed to tell this story on another board just today and so I will do so here also, so that Bruce could know that he is not alone and that the light at the end of the tunnel is not necessarily a train!

My wife has been a challenge to her doctors for the last 21 years. She has multiple cysts in her brain (7), some the size of golf balls and one in the center of the brain stem, not to mention the multiple calcium deposits in there.

Her health runs in cycles, at first the bad spells were close together but with medication and the Lords help, they are a long time between now. She is on anti seizure medication because the disease (they have not been able to name it yet and probably never will) caused her to start having seizures when she went into labor with our son.

In the first seizure, she broke her back and then continued to have 2 more in the hospital while giving birth. The son came out fine but that was the start of our medical odyssey The doctors are only able to treat the symptoms of what my wife has and there is no cure but with time, the treatments have helped bring her to a more or less normal life. She is medically retired now and is somewhat limited with understanding new ideas but she is able to carry on every day in a more or less normal fashion so we are indeed blessed.

It is funny how you become accustomed to your circumstances. This is just our normal way of life now. Many times we were in the hospital for a brain surgery (she has had 5 major surgeries, the last one with only a 40% chance of survival) we would get to know a little about her roommates and their problems always seemed worse than ours and we were thankful that we didn't have their problems.

Her case has been presented at a few medical conferences as it is so unusual, and at one of them the question was asked, "how old was the patent when she died?" Well SHE AIN'T DEAD YET GRIN!!!

I know there are those who get upset at the mentioning of the name of Christ but he is the sole reason we were able to get through this. Next year, we will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and we can truly praise the Lord for all that he has done in our lives!!

Bruce, I have walked the same road of having a wife with medical problems and though the problems are different, I know many of the feelings you are going through. Be strong for her, is all we can do when so much is out of our hands.

You both will indeed be in our prayers.