When Hobby turns to Business and Xmas Break

NOSValves

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great! How many watts? or did I miss that number.

Larry

Larry,

I need to do more testing with different tubes and configurations to answer acurately. Give me some time to burn in and tweak, test and get solid information for you all. I'd rather answer questions from absolute testing then speculation.

Craig,

Nice work...looks great. What's the name of it? What kind of coupling caps did you use?

Mark,

Not sure on the name yet but I'm taking suggestions along with final top plate finish suggestions (chrome is not an option). I think custom color painted steel of the customers choice would be a great option or just go with the SS I have been using on VRD's. This is a decision I need to make soon. I personally like this one just the way it is but I do not like to limit my customers to what I like in the looks department. I like Blue Jeans and T-shirts LOL!! The coupling caps are just something I'm trying out and would like to listen further before I let the cat out of the bag.

Craig

Here is how I am current running the amp. KT88's in Class A Triode for about 18 to 20 watts or flick the switch and get 40+ Class A Ultra Linear with mild bias adjustment after doing so. That is reason why the huge transformer with M6 core was specified to accomplish. This can be done to a VRD also. But the mod will be expensive in the end for retro fitting.

post-7461-1381931838567_thumb.jpg

I'm partial to black or the stainless myself. Looks like it's about a half step away from being dual-mono. I imagine like the VRD's, you kept feedback to a minimum?

Sure doesn't look like you can call it a VRD-Light. What are those things underneath the two tubes on the far left?

I'm partial to black or the stainless myself. Looks like it's about a half step away from being dual-mono. I imagine like the VRD's, you kept feedback to a minimum?

Sure doesn't look like you can call it a VRD-Light. What are those things underneath the two tubes on the far left?

Dean,

Yea I'm leaning toward complete painting of all metal surfaces or just going stainless and allowing custom color transfromer end bells.

I'm not sure what two things your asking about can you explian better? Under which two tubes on the left?

I was just out having a smoke, thinking about a name for this beast.

Why don't you just call it a VRD Stereo Amp. You can call your others - VRD Monoblocs. Name recognition is important in this business!

DUDE! I thought you were banishing the nails in the New Year!!!

I was joking DUDE! Haven't had one since the 31st although the wife already caved :(

Socket adapter? looks like a CV4004 parked on the socket, though the lettering from the pic looks like CV4007.

I got a used pair of Mullard CV4004's ('85 date code) for eight bucks the other day. Nice and strong like new. They were in a DAC.

What about powder-coating? Is that even worth bothering over? Stainless would be real nice, but punching and drilling through that stuff is a major chore.

I was just out having a smoke, thinking about a name for this beast.

Why don't you just call it a VRD Stereo Amp. You can call your others - VRD Monoblocs. Name recognition is important in this business!

DUDE! I thought you were banishing the nails in the New Year!!!

I was joking DUDE! Haven't had one since the 31st although the wife already caved :(

Good to hear, DUDE! You can do it... it's just a little mind over matter for 4 - 6 weeks. If you can get that far you'll have it licked. The key is to hang out with people that don't smoke. Of course, it'll be a lot tougher now that your wife has started back up, but you can do it. Don't let that stop you!

Mike

PS... you might want to stay away from bowling alleys for about a month or so too. LOL

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! Those are simply awesome
Craig. Congratualtions, can't wait to hear your views on how they
stack up next to the VRD's sound-wise. Am I correct in asuming
those are two chokes and four power supply caps underneath?

I have just one little quibble. I'm thinking maybe you
should move those two rectifier tubes forward about an inch or line
them up one behing the other in the middle. It looks like you
have the room underneath and I think it may add something to the
overall gorgeous appearance. Just my IMO.