What would it take to get you to go SS again?

Audio Flynn

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I wasn't on such a tight budget, I'd love to own another classic McIntosh MC250 power amp...to my less-than-golden ears (with Klipsch), this old SS amp had the purest tone of any transistorized amp I ever owned. It sounded warm, lush and full-bodied like my SET amp, and it hadn't a single fire-bottle on top of it! Once my finances are back in order, I'll purchase another restored MC250, and this time NOT sell it, no matter what the circumstances are!

The sound of tubes for the price of tubes would be a start. Tripath didn't cut it for me. It sounded promising at first but just didn't live up to the hype for me.

Tripath did a few things right. Soundstage depth / location of instruments and bass weight were not satisfying. Of course listening fatigue was evident when compared to tubes.

Maybe one of the very expensive digital amps like MAXG Yamaha would sound nice. Have no idea where to find one to audition.

I cannot justify chasing the "digital dream" amplifier with cash.

With my respect for B&K components, I sure would like to hear one of their digital amps.

http://www.bkcomp.com/products/amplifiers/?tx_ttproducts_pi1%5BbackPID%5D=14&tx_ttproducts_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=21&cHash=7b4f7b1d8f

"I always think about getting a Meridian DAC when I do mindless searches.

Then this nice little Meridian SS Stereo Integrated pops up.

Maybe for the bedroom and the hot summer months...."

You might want to contact Baddad here on the forum. He has or had 4 or 5 very Nice Meredian pieces he was moving on. He went tubes and no going back for him.

What would it take for me to go back to SS? I will NEVER get rid of my tube amps, preamps, cdp's.

I do have some SS gear(Crown DC300A and PS400s I still play from time to time and I like them a lot. Still not the killer tube sound but not bad at all.

I just picked up some new Panasonic 7.1 digital gear. I'm actually shocked by the sound. It's still sterile but not bad listening.

Harry

Maybe one of the very expensive digital amps like MAXG Yamaha would sound nice. Have no idea where to find one to audition.

Although it's marked "digital" on the front and Yamaha calls it digital, the MX-D1 is a pulse-width-modulated switching amp that seems to be analog from input to output.

The good news is that the Yamaha MX-D1 amps have come down in price. If you do a Net search, you may be able to find a new one for under $2500US. I was able to find a used second one for even less, so now I'm ready to bi-amp. 500Wpc is a lot of power, but these run happily and cleanly at fractions of a watt as well, with huge headroom.

The guy who sold me the used D1 had two of them (the first one was already sold), which he'd been using to passively bi-amp a pair of B&W 800s and it sounded really good through those. He'd had a pair of Krell 700cx amps and preferred the Yamahas. He sold the Yamahas because he was downsizing and went to a pair of bridged Harman Kardon tube amps for "mono-amping". Although he liked the tube sound, he was a little sad to see the Yamahas go.

If you're ever in my neighbourhood, you're welcome to stop by for a listen. I really like them. They're on for 12 hours a day and I get no fatigue from them.

What would it take: Bryston, Classe, Levinson, McIntosh, Krell, Pass. I lent my Musical Fidelity and Bryston gear to al all tube friend. His tubes are brighter (per him).

I borrowed his Jolida JD1000 tube integrated. It sounds great, but the SS sounded better. On poorly recorded material the tubes do better but the detail is missing. Its all preference.

I do agree that the Panasonic has faults in soundstaging compared to high end components, but its 200 bucks. What do you expect?

What would it take to get you to go SS again?

A trade embargo/major world trade dispute occurring before I have a chance to stock up on lifetime tube supplies for my gear.

If this were to happen, I presume I would have bigger concerns besides my tube gear, but it is a hope that within a year or two that my stocks will be complete, alleviating this issue.

I have the gear I want for the long haul (with exception given to a yet-to-be-purchased 2 channel preamp), it is simply a matter of reinforcing my investments to assure a lifetime of listening pleasure[H]

If I were to find a C22 at a price considerably below market value, I would probably do that.....but I'm not looking to do it at current market prices. I'm actually quite happy with my MX110/MC30 combo, and have a mindset to reinforce that investment and keep that kit for life.

But I never would say never on a C22 given favorable circumstances.