Drifting Away from Home Theatre

Why Thank You Jim [:D] We've got an 8 room house. I get one room. That's how I've "decorated" my room. It's only14x14 and heavily acoustically treated. I tried the 5 channel thing with Khorns, a Belle center and Cornwall rears and all McIntosh amplification. All those speakers barely left room for the chair. It was just too much of a good thing, the proverbial 10 lbs of system in a 5 lb room. I didn't like it, and I went back to Khorn 2 channel for all 8 of my sources (switchable between Mac SS and VRD tube amplification). Now it's 7.5 lbs of system in a 5 lb room [;)]. If you want a Klipsch Heritage 5 channel setup, you really do need a BIG room.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your system sounds great with DVD concerts and movie music scores, but doesn't sound good with CD's -- the problem isn't your system -- it's the badly recorded CD's. BTW, the "better" and more revealing your system gets, the worse the poorly recorded stuff sounds. Hey, I had to break out my a/d/s SAT 7's just so I could listen to my 60's and 70's rock again. :)

I love good movies, and they sound awesome through the Jubilees. No multichannel, no subs.

I haphazardly used the word "boom" before............I guess is was thrown around so many times I jumped on the bandwagon. My bass is awesome...........It's like OB said, some of the effects are really bad and don't make sense sometimes. In my collection only a handful of them are worth trying to impress somebody as far as the special effects go but when it's done right it is really cool.

I've got a great HT setup, not world class but just great. Don't use it much becasue I spend more time with music and no dough to be blowing on concert videos. It would be complete if only someone would buy me a flat screen.

Asking guys in 2 Channel about their liking for HT is kinda the wrong question. Bet you'd get a lotta different answers if you posted this in the HT section.

As far as boom, boom goes, there's only one take on that:

Boom boom boom boom

I'm gonna shoot you right down,

right offa your feet

Take you home with me,

put you in my house

Boom boom boom boom

A-haw haw haw haw

Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

I love to see you strut,

up and down the floor

When you talking to me,

that baby talk

I like it like that

Whoa, yeah!

Talk that talk, walk that walk

When she walk that walk,

and talk that talk,

and whisper in my ear,

tell me that you love me

I love that talk

When you talk like that,

you knocks me out,

right off of my feet

Hoo hoo hoo

Talk that talk, and walk that walk

by John Lee Hooker

• Moderators

I listen to music, 2 ch or multi ch, 98% of the time, movies 2%. rent movies, buy DVDs, Cd's.

I don't buy movies, except kid's movies because most movies I don't care to see again, there are a few exceptions and I see them replayed on sat. Have not seen a movie in months.

I listen to music all day, watch one or two movies a week (the video store's only 3 blocks away) and watch the odd concert video (the Devo and Tubes videos are pretty odd) as well as TV most evenings.

All that stuff is fine in stereo, but most of the video and some of the music is better in surround. As well as 2-channel stereo, I use Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo 6 Music and plain 7-channel stereo, depending on what's on and what mood I'm in.

A surround system doesn't have to compromise a 2-channel system, unless you have to buy cheaper stuff because you have to buy more of it to cover the surround channels. Second-hand Heresy speakers don't cost that much and make great center and surround speakers. Wasn't the Heresy the world's first center-channel speaker?

As for the boom factor, if the sub's set up to be accurate with music, it should be equally accurate with movies. If movies with explosions seem too loud, turn it down or use Night mode to quieten the effects without turning down the dialogue. Or just watch quieter movies...

OB...similar results for me as well...I think one thing that has happened to me is that my 2 channel listening has become so sweet...mostly Tubes with Klipsch...that I spend more time listening to that than listening to movies...to further cloud things...I now have one TV hooked up to a 2 channel receiver and Klipsch speakers if I don't wish to "go downstairs to the "theater" and listen and this is so good (not near what the Theater is but SO much more than the stock TV speakers) that I listen less to Home Theater...incidently I saw one of our own Klipsch-O-Files and Pilgrimage attendants (Kaz) when I was at Best Buy and he was picking up some Blue Ray...asked me if I had my Blue Ray yet...I said No and he rolled his eyes at me...[;)]...I DID get a look at Blue Ray and the picture is VERY clear but looks weird to me...anyone else find this true???

Bill

I've got a great HT setup, not world class but just great. Don't use it much becasue I spend more time with music and no dough to be blowing on concert videos. It would be complete if only someone would buy me a flat screen.

Asking guys in 2 Channel about their liking for HT is kinda the wrong question. Bet you'd get a lotta different answers if you posted this in the HT section.

As far as boom, boom goes, there's only one take on that:

Actually, there is:

Brain-dead jocks in a beer-filled room
Beer-barrel Kings, with feet unstable
Pounded on the table,
Pounded on the table with the handle of a dirk
Hard as they were able,
"Boom! Boom! BOOM!"
Drunk out of their tiny minds and pounding on the drums
Boomalay, boomalay, boomalay, BOOM!
Giving folks a headache, and pounding on the drums,

Then I saw the Thunder, rolling thru the mud
Staggering and falling down, with a macho thud.

Out past the list-field, a thousand miles,,
Belly-dancers dancing with belly-button smiles!
Rolling of the thunderdrums;
Pounding on the table.
A thousand painted Conan-clones danced in files.
Belly-dancing bimbos, that danced upon the table
Dancing on the table,
Boom! Boom! BOOM!

Then I saw the Thunder, rolling thru the mud
Staggering and falling down, with a macho thud.

"Boom!" cried the stick-jocks!
"Boom!" cried the warriors!
Boomalay, boomalay,
Boom, boom, BOOM!
Boom! In Atenveldt!
Boom! In Mistland!
Boom! In Meridies!
Boom! Boom! BOOM!
Arnie the Barbarian pounded on the drums
Brain-fried barbarians pounded on the drums.
Pounded on the enemy, pounded on the drums,
Pounded on the table, pounded on the dirt,
Technicolor yawning on someone else's shirt.
Dancing on the table,
Boom! Boom! BOOM!
Dancing on the table,
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Hear how the demons chuckle and yell
Party all night with their Muscatel
Listen to the whispered proclaimation
Blowing in the wind to every nation,
Blown thru the deserts, sere and dry,
Blown thru the snowy mountains high,
"Be careful what you do,
Or Um-jot Gum-jot, Ghod of the rum-pot,
And all of the other
Ghods of the slum-pot,
Um-jot will get back at you:
Too much brew gonna hoo-doo you!
Too much brew gonna hoo-doo you!
Too much brew gonna hoo-doo you!"

I still am in awe to listen to music and HT in my HT room! I have a feeling I am in the minority though. I agree with others (DeanG) that if your room is dialed in properly 2 channel music, and concert dvd's should also sound fantastic in a well done HT room. BTW, Music Choice is also great on Comcast!

I love personally sharing the Eagles, Pink Floyd, James Taylor, MOJO network (really cool) with people. I also like hearing clapping to the sides or behind me.. And I get a little un nerved when a sax or keyboard part is behind me or on the wrong side of where were all looking..LOL (Please sound mixers leave it where it SHOULD BE!!!)

I do find also in 2 Channel (most of the time) just turning down the sub just a little settings wise does the trick. The La Scala's are just awesome with the 2 THX subs from Klipsch and that KA 1000 amp.

I find myself watching some sports I used to never care about because the visuals and sound is sooo impressive! NASCAR is just awesome in HT. Basketball is great, and we all know College and especially NFL Football, is just the perfect sport ever, period, in your HT.

I am very much interersted how the Olympics will look in HD and I am sure on some of the broadcasts we will all be glued!

Maybe it is just a room setting thing for 2 Channel? This might be especially true, if you have a separate treated low light level room, rather than the traditional family room near your kitchen with windows people walking around etc, .sometimes your in the chair, sometimes on the couch etc.?

I still am in awe to listen to music and HT in my HT room! I have a feeling I am in the minority though. I agree with others (DeanG) that if your room is dialed in properly 2 channel music, and concert dvd's should also sound fantastic in a well done HT room. BTW, Music Choice is also great on Comcast!

I love personally sharing the Eagles, Pink Floyd, James Taylor, MOJO network (really cool) with people. I also like hearing clapping to the sides or behind me.. And I get a little un nerved when a sax or keyboard part is behind me or on the wrong side of where were all looking..LOL (Please sound mixers leave it where it SHOULD BE!!!)

I do find also in 2 Channel (most of the time) just turning down the sub just a little settings wise does the trick. The La Scala's are just awesome with the 2 THX subs from Klipsch and that KA 1000 amp.

I find myself watching some sports I used to never care about because the visuals and sound is sooo impressive! NASCAR is just awesome in HT. Basketball is great, and we all know College and especially NFL Football, is just the perfect sport ever, period, in your HT.

I am very much interersted how the Olympics will look in HD and I am sure on some of the broadcasts we will all be glued!

Maybe it is just a room setting thing for 2 Channel? This might be especially true, if you have a separate treated low light level room, rather than the traditional family room near your kitchen with windows people walking around etc, .sometimes your in the chair, sometimes on the couch etc.?

Roger-I agree with your entire post, especially the section highlighted above. One track really stands out in my mind as being just placed entirely wrong. That is Hotel California by the Eagles. The sound from the trumpet at the beginning of the track is coming from directly behind me while I am watching him onscreen. Weird.

I had a HD cable box for a while and couldn't see any difference between the regular cable channels and the HD channels so I returned it (the regular cable channels didn't even look very good.) This was from Charter, not Comcast.

I had a HD cable box for a while and couldn't see any difference
between the regular cable channels and the HD channels so I returned it
(the regular cable channels didn't even look very good.) This was from
Charter, not Comcast.

Wow, Something had to be wrong...LOL Either in your box not turned on (set up) properly or your HDTV as well. (Set up).

No way you could miss the jump from 480i to 720p or 1080p...LOL

The weird sound placements do bother me.. Next thing you know, the singers will be behind you and clapping up front? hahahaaha

Sometimes the mix of the guitar players one is left the other right even if they are stage right... I am ok with that. One is, after all, playing the lead part the other the background or rhythm too. It is just so right when the singers are basically in the center and background vocals are spread left n right. Take a group like the Eagles where everyone CAN sing too it is a treat. As "cool" as the DTS song just vocals and guitars with them all around you is...in 5.1 I just do not want to listen to a whole concert like that! It is kinda creepy!

Roger

Oldtimer..

Hockey is indeed very cool to watch. I have on occasiontoo FYI. Now if I can just figure out what a:

1) Hat trick is..

2) What is offsides...

3) When is it ok to fight.. OK not too?

4) How many periods there are.... 2 or 3... ??

And being from the midwest, (INDY) who the heck do I root for? (I root for Detroit cause of Picky, but at times a call is made I have no idea what I am watching? ) LOL

Least I am honest.

After this, if I can figure out Cricket and Austrailian Football rules, I will be happy!