colterphoto1 is half a century!

pmsummer

• Moderators

Happy Birthday Michael! Sure hope it was a good one! Let us know when you are ready to come down and celebrate![<:o)][8][^]

Maybe you can schedule a visit during Groomlake's annual stopover on his way to Arkansas and all us "old folks" can make a trip to the French Quarter????

I love you lots and miss you even more!!!!!

I see that I'm a bit late here - Happy Birthday Michael!

Me too. Funny that I have been going back and forth with Mike and didn't say happy b day. So let me say it now. I guess at my age one tends to ignore such events.

DaveDog, long time no hear. I have a project in "cow town" soon. Can I give you a call? Will be there off and on.

(only old Dallas boys can call Fort Worth "cow town" and get away with it) [;)]

tc

Happy Birthday Michael,

Just curious, have you given any thought to what song, or what group will have the honor of being the first tune played in your workshop on it's Grand Opening?

I've corresponded with you before, so it wouldn't surprise me the musicians were anderson, wakeman, squire, howe, and white. Come to think about...what about Siberian Khatru?

I see that I'm a bit late here - Happy Birthday Michael!

Me too. Funny that I have been going back and forth with Mike and didn't say happy b day. So let me say it now. I guess at my age one tends to ignore such events.

DaveDog, long time no hear. I have a project in "cow town" soon. Can I give you a call? Will be there off and on.

(only old Dallas boys can call Fort Worth "cow town" and get away with it) Wink

tc

Terry,

It would be great to meet up with you - in COW TOWN yee ha. I will send you a PM with my cell phone.

David

BSM- there's been no 'grand premiere' song as I've kind of slowly snuck a sound system closer and closer. It started as wheeling the PA rack out on the driveway in front of the attached garage and blasting some KP201 or KP301 across the lawn towards the construction. In later stages (and tody) I've got a small system comprised of KP201 fed by my Mom's old Sherwood 18 wpc receiver with iPod as source. So I've been playing tunes all along- DP, LZ, PF, and Yes being among them.

I've been playing a lot of Tommy Bolin and Glenn Hughes lately. But yeah, when I get a BIG system installed Siberian will probably be one of the first tunes properly cranked up in there! [:D]

M

I've been playing a lot of Tommy Bolin and Glenn Hughes lately. But yeah, when I get a BIG system installed Siberian will probably be one of the first tunes properly cranked up in there!

I saw Tommy Bolin with the James Gang at the Agora back in 1974, before he joined Deep Purple and did his solo work (which makes you about 14 back then). His career was shorter than Hendrix's. Man, he was just a Kid.............23 friggin' years old when he died of an H overdose!

Do you have Spectrum, first solo effort by monster drummer Billy Cobham (formerly with the Mahavishnu Orchestra)? Tommy is the guitar player on the baddest boogie ever recorded by humans, called "Quadrant 4" the opening track, along with the rest of the album.

Oh yeah, got em all. I missed DP playing with Nektar I think, that year. Yeah, that 's Jan Hammer on Keys too! I have an interview where Tommy talks about getting the call from Billy. 'yeah who is this really' Tommy recalls saying, then 'I felt like a fool', and 'we jammed for about 3 days and that was the album'. Tommy couldn't even read music! The bass line from that jam was recently used in another piece. Doc brought this CD over and plays this badda$$ jam and I walked to my collection and pulled out this CD with the EXACT SAME WALKING BASS LINE and blew him away. To this day Doc uses Quadrant 4 and Stratus for his 'test tracks' and we all use Bolin to play during band breaks. It always gets the same reaction:

WHO IS THAT GUITAR PLAYER! DANG

Tommy Bolin Archives has about 23 CD's out now. A couple are available at Best Buy. I had the good fortune to go to Denver for a few years and be photographer for the Tommy Bolin Tribute concerts. Got to hang with Johnny Bolin, Glenn Hughes, Jeff Cook, Stanley Sheldon to name a few. Great times.

M

Way cool, Michael. Not many people know who Tommy Bolin was. He certainly set the James Gang on fire for that one album also. Just think of what h could have done. I think he was only 18 years old when he played with Cobham on Spectrum. Billy Cobham and Tony Williams were my favorite drummers. Saw Billy many times. Had a beer with him once, talk about a firm handshake, he could have been a boxer.

Tommy was also a good looking kid, and like most rock stars, never lacked groupies, eh?

TWO albums with James Gang, mostly of TB compositions- Miami and Bang.

Also with French drummer Alphonse Mouson- very similar to the work with Cobham.

And let's not forget TWO solo albums with top names in the industry- Narada Michael Walden, Phil Collins, Prarie Prince, Stanley Sheldon, Jeff Porcaro and others.

I remember bassist Stanley Sheldon saying to me during an autograph session " I was playing on Frampton's album and was on the best selling live album of all time, but I was most proud of being IN Tommy's band." Now that's a statement. Everyone wanted to play with Tommy, and those that did never forgot the experience.