• Recent Topic Activity

• Recent Posts

• The heavy lift of audio technology took place 100 plus years ago by ground breaking engineers . The basic  principles of audio reproduction was understood and developed long ago . It’s early mastery is obvious when listening to The amazing quality of fine audio recordings from 90 years ago , the quality is absolutely astounding , likewise the finest loudspeakers from 75 years ago (or more)were no slouch either ,as they can arguably  hold their own against  some of the best available today  . Amplifier technology    Has followed a similar course with certain changes to the sound quality with the introduction of solid state components .While there’s always room for improvement, Today’s audio advances are not the groundbreaking work of the past , but more of a tinkering around the edges, with “advances” confined  to the altering of the icing on the cake , as the basic cake recipe was developed long long  ago . I give this guy and Roy Delgato credit for offering a new exciting product that hopefully will appeal to the consumer wanting something different and unique . I d like to hear the multi cell horn, I imagine that the careful listener will detect some interesting differences in sound quality. If I had the right room for them , I’d  be  interested for sure. 
    • Welllllll, @Full Range ya crucified me with that one!  Ya got a major score imo on that snag.  You also pushed a button.  That's going down later today for sure.  Haven't heard that lp in years.  The King stop by for a listen since he's over there slip slidin around on the rock?  😂   Our Buckeye's had a bye week this week then it's a run for the Natty.  GO BUCKS!  I had to.  😂
    • Bottom line as I see it?  Just another day at the office.    Collabs have happened forever.  Some good & some bad.  What's so wrong with out-of-the-box thinking today?  The times they are a changin whether you like it or not.  Always have.  Where's the beef or is there really one?    Perfect example.  Apply as needed.  Alexis Korner, Mick, Frampton et. all.    Just make it work so ya can chill and smile.  Your circle kick back and smile? It ain't rocket science or is it?    Ya makin money and producing a superior quality product?  75 years?       Option B?  BULLSHIT!!!  YOU make the call.  Go buy ya a big ole BOSE system and get back to me.       
    • Eh the crackling/popping sound on my Klipsch speakers is gone. I figured it out: it was a switch above the rca audio inputs ( on the back of one of the speakers ) that had been on “phono” ( uhhg ) but I switched it to “line” and now it’s okay. 
    • If you can afford it financially and in terms of space... I've been listening to Klipsch for 30 years (LaScala (still), from 2008 to last year Underground Jubilees and since this June a vintage Klipschorn). I've been listening to BBC speakers for 35 years. I've had Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 since 2005 and Stirling B. LS3/6 (which are roughly the same size as your Harbeth SHL5) since 2016, of course on stands. I have to honestly say that I would really miss it if I no longer had a BBC-style speaker. But I would miss it just as much if I no longer had a Klipsch horn-loaded speaker. They are two completely different concepts. The BBC are more ‘you are there’ and the Klipsch more ‘they are here’ speaker types. Nevertheless, I have to say that there are some amazing parallels. The extremely fantastic midrange of the Lascala even reminds me of the BBC speakers. The way a cello or tenor sax can sound is a strong point for both types of speakers.  I would advise you to get a Klipsch speaker that is a full horn. For example, a LaScala. Not a bass monster but of fabulous quality across the entire spectrum. The bass is very similar to the LS3/5a. And although the speakers look quite different, they have a lot of tonal similarities when you hear the LS3/5a in the near field. The LaScala carries this beautiful sound throughout the room. The recommendation here in the thread to buy a Cornwall because it is closer to the BBC speakers in principle with the radiator bass... I don't know to be honest. I accept the idea, maybe if you really only have one more speaker. But in my view it would be more of a compromise than a positive combination of the best of both worlds. I switch from Klipsch to BBC about once a year. Both illuminate the musical event in a completely different way. I've never bought another speaker on principle (except for selling the UJ, but that has to do with the fact that we'll be moving soon and won't have any more room for it). At least I would keep one type of the BBC speakers if you can afford it.  Regarding your question about the amps, you can always run a LaScala or Cornwall with the Mcintosh amp you have. Personally, I'm not a big fan of very weak tube amps only because a Klipsch plays loudly. I can immediately hear on my Klipschorn whether I'm playing a 50W Quad 306 or a 140W Quad 606. It's not just the SPL. It's dynamics, etc. Most important is that your amp sounds very good at the first watt (which the old Quad transistor amps do very well). My MC275 also goes very well with Klipsch and BBC.
    • If it is about the new discovery or the new view of art and science, enlightenment and personal freedom, as we understand the Renaissance, then it might be a bit far-fetched. Because it would presuppose that we have ended up in a dark age, similar to the Middle Ages, with its cruelties and dogmas, inhuman power games, with the prohibition of science and discoveries. It has not come to that yet, but Devon certainly represents a free spirit and his own approach. Something like that is always good for societies, also as an immunization against the possibility of relapsing into dark times. In this respect, Devon is a good role model for how to think and act across different categories. Please, I don't want to exaggerate or glorify Devon, I hope I made that clear in my previous post. But I also think it's important to appreciate what he's doing and not just dismiss it.
    • I got a pair of Altec 414s and 511b horns if anyone wants to build a set...just saying (joke).
    • Would it be fair to call him a Renaissance man, if label one must. ☕  
    • Do you know of any for these drivers for sale?
    • Very nice condition original Fortes on usaudiomart at a competitive price ($750).  Local pick up in Springfield, VA. No affiliation.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.4m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Tamrac