Dark Side of the Moon

Coytee

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with JB, the SACD is very good. It is a 4.0 channel recording, not 5.1 as most SACDs, but still is a nice departure from the original 2-ch. There is also a good "making of DSOTM" DVD that is fascinating. Alan Parsons talks alot about his recording techniques and decisions from way back then.

An interesting story, maybe from that making of dvd, is that Pink Floyd was making the soundtrack for Michalangelo Antonioni's "Zabriskie Point," a hippy-trippy movie from around 71-72. He changed his mind so many times that some music made for the movie never was used. Some of those numbers were subsequently used on DSOTM.

I have the hybrid SACD/CD of DSOTM. Pawn shop 3 dollar item in new condition.

I like the recording, fairly clean......but it seems like they jacked up the compression or something.

You crank it up a bit on the first song, and you can literally hear the master tape or whatever fire up. First digital silence, and then wooooooooooooooooooooooosh.....thump thump, thump, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP!, THUMP! And then full blare...The clocks do really blast out, however....

Well after all the talk I had to turn the volume off of the game and put in DSOTM. WOW! I haven't listened to this on my system in it's current state. It is truly awesome. I cannot believe the the bass.

What frequency is the bass at the beginning of "Breathe"? I could hardly hear it but everything in the room was vibrating like crazy.

Sean

Still have my original, complete with seed burn.

I've never heard either a vinyl re-issue or a digital version as good. Don't know what they do to it. I digitized my own vinyl and it sounded better than the Mobile Fidelity CD my wife has.

Hmm.... What were we talking about?

Dave

Still have my original, complete with seed burn. 

I've never heard either a vinyl re-issue or a digital version as good.  Don't know what they do to it.  I digitized my own vinyl and it sounded better than the Mobile Fidelity CD my wife has.

Hmm....  What were we talking about?

Dave

I can't figure why they can't get a lot of re-issues right also.....one glaring example is one of my go to system test lps...Santana Abraxas, I have the original which IMO can't be touched by the MOFI or the 1/2 speed remaster..... Simon and Garfunkle's Bookends is another...my old scratchy original sounds better than the brand new 180 gram I just got????????

with just a few exceptions ....CD's that I burn on my Tascam CC -222( pretty low tech ) from vinyl, sound better than purchased cd's.

I don't know....what were you talking about?