LSD as a treatment

dtel

• Moderators

Kind of a drastic step I would think, I guess you don't have the the urge to drink when the walls are moving and occasionally talking back to you ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17297714

A study, presented in the Journal
of Psychopharmacology
, looked at data from six trials and more than 500
patients.

It said there was a "significant beneficial effect" on alcohol abuse, which
lasted several months after the drug was taken.

An expert said this was "as good as anything we've got".

LSD is a class A drug in the UK and is one of the most powerful hallucinogens
ever identified. It appears to work by blocking a chemical in the brain,
serotonin, which controls functions including perception, behaviour, hunger and
mood.

Benefit

Researchers at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology analysed
earlier studies on the drug between 1966 and 1970.

Patients were all taking part in alcohol treatment programmes, but some were
given a single dose of LSD of between 210 and 800 micrograms.

Continue reading the main story

Dangers of LSD

• During a trip the person may put themselves in danger without realising it
    such as thinking they can fly and trying to jump off a high building.
  • In some people, especially if LSD is taken in high doses, the drug can cause
    intense anxiety and panic attacks.
  • Some people experience flashbacks, reliving a bad trip weeks or even months
    after it happened.
  • In those already vulnerable, LSD may be the trigger for psychotic illness.
    Paranoia and other symptoms typical of schizophrenia may occur.

For the group of patients taking LSD, 59% showed reduced
levels of alcohol misuse compared with 38% in the other group.

This effect was maintained six months after taking the hallucinogen, but it
disappeared after a year. Those taking LSD also reported higher levels of
abstinence.

The report's authors, Teri Krebs and Pal-Orjan Johansen, said: "A single dose
of LSD has a significant beneficial effect on alcohol misuse."

They suggested that more regular doses might lead to a sustained benefit.

"Given the evidence for a beneficial effect of LSD on alcoholism, it is
puzzling why this treatment approach has been largely overlooked," they
added.

Prof David Nutt, who was sacked as the UK government's drugs adviser, has
previously called for the laws around illegal drugs to be relaxed to enable more
research.

He said: "Curing alcohol dependency requires huge changes in the way you see
yourself. That's what LSD does.

"Overall there is a big effect, show me another treatment with results as
good; we've missed a trick here.

"This is probably as good as anything we've got [for treating
alcoholism]."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's it and feel it could be the opposite in regard to alcoholics already having the "walls moving and talking back" to them.

My guess is what's really nagging a alcoholic comes to the forefront when taking LSD and they experience some sort of vision which gives them clarity. Then, when they are coming down from the intensity of the experience, it hits them that there is something greater than themselves and it changes their life. Timothy Leary wrote quite a bit about his experiences and did experiments on alcoholics with the same results back in the 60s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

Btw, I am not advocating one way or the other because LSD is a powerful drug and in the wrong hands could definitely make matters worse.

TKDA, you're onto the rationale of the effectiveness of the trials. Somehow the alcoholic is able to change how he/she sees himself/herself which is essential to sobriety.

Yep. It sounds simple and I know Fish was being tongue-in-cheek but the AA creed is "one day at a time," and that needs to be implemented every day over a period of time to be successful...There are no easy fixes and LSD would definitely be a "last resort," that could be akin to electroshock treatment if unsuccessful...My guess is that AA is the way to go for most people.

• Moderators

My guess is what's really nagging a alcoholic comes to the forefront when taking LSD and they experience some sort of vision which gives them clarity. Then, when they are coming down from the intensity of the experience, it hits them that there is something greater than themselves and it changes their life.

That makes alot of sense, that would match perfectly with what i have read about LSD. There was a show on the discovery channel a while back where it talked about all the test that were done years ago. One thing that kept showing up was a life change, a totally different outlook on many things and in some cases to the point that it helped designers and I think it was an engineer solve a problem he had worked on for years.

I have never had a problem with alcohol or any addictive drugs so I really don't understand what the real problems are. And something that could possibly create a drastic change in someones personality would be worth trying. I never really thought about it like you said. I would hope it's done at least the first time in a controlled setting because some people can have a really bad experience which could affect them negatively.

It just sounded drastic when I first read it considering how powerful it can be, but that could do the trick.

• Moderators

could be akin to electroshock treatment if unsuccessful

That's something else they are retesting, they say it short circuits brain waves and also changes ones outlook but there saying it short term and would have to be done several times a year.

I wish they would look more into herbal medicine, acupuncture, chiropractic or anything but the standard medicine which usually just treats the symptoms and never cures the problem.

I can say that diet has a lot to do with some problems, about 8 months ago I compleatly changed how and what I eat, feel much better and lost 50 pounds, I take none of the meds I was prescribed before, I don't need them anymore. I feel so much better I work out now. [Y]

"Curing alcohol dependency requires huge changes in the way you see
yourself. That's what LSD does.

Alcohol is boring compared to LSD. Some people would not want to go back to Kansas once they've been to Oz.

Seriously, though, there may be something to it, especially if it lets you see things from another perspective, and facilitates insight. Also, I agree that governments should not get in the way of promising research.

They didn't list all the dangers of LSD. It can make you wait in long lines at the airport for a ticket from los angeles to detroit, only to get to the ticket counter and find out it is an air china ticket counter (or make you think that spending five hours in an airplane while you're tripping is even a good idea). Oh yeah, I was also at Grant's Park in Chicago the night Lake Michigan dried up. Or the time, my friends thought i got sucked into the chimeny; and then there was the time...oh well, you get the point.

• Moderators

They didn't list all the dangers of LSD. It can make you wait in long lines at the airport for a ticket from los angeles to detroit, only to get to the ticket counter and find out it is an air china ticket counter (or make you think that spending five hours in an airplane while you're tripping is even a good idea). Oh yeah, I was also at Grant's Park in Chicago the night Lake Michigan dried up. Or the time, my friends thought i got sucked into the chimeny; and then there was the time...oh well, you get the point.

Well I guess you didn't have a drinking problem, But I don't think it works as preventive medicine. [:|]

Just think if you tried it and had a realization that you wanted to drink alot more [:S] would you have to take it again ? [*-)]

You can also cure a headache by removing the head from the body.

JJK

I believe in contemporary jargon seeing something like that under LSD is called "a bad trip." Then again, it may be what an alcoholic would need to see to understand that their lifestyle is giving everyone around them a "headache" with the above seemingly being the only option. .