Clothes Washing Machines

John Warren

According to my repairman all the new ones are junk. I have a 15 year old Maytag that works fine. He says to keep that one going. He said the electronic boards in the new ones continually die. Also the "stink" with the front loaders is caused by undrained water. Mine is a top loader. Best of luck.

JJK

I like my front loading machines. The Kenmore HT3 set bought at the Sears scratch and dent store lasted a little more than 10 years and the failure was caused by a coin which made it to a circuit board. We now have Samsungsteaming models and they work very well. Front loading washers do have an issue with water, mold and smell due to moisture trapped in the door seal but by following the directions you prevent the problem by leaving door open so it can dry. We wipe the seal down one a month with bleach.

I find the front loaders to be quiter and more efficient.

I bought a middle of the line GE high efficiency top loader last summer and I've been very pleased with it.

I read a good bit about the HE washers before purchasing. After reading about the maintenance requirements of the front loaders I decided they weren't for me. I'm single and live alone. I'll often go 2 weeks or more without running a load fo laundry. The idea of water sitting for that long didn't thrill me. Besides I'm lazy.

We've had a maytag 4000 series for a year now and love it. No smell problem at all (front loader he) and we always leave the door open between loads. Our plumber recommended buying the extended warranty so I did. The whirlpool duet top loading he machines have received good reviews, check out consumer reports. Previously we had a vintage 84 kenmore purchased used, which lasted quite a while, but the new machine does a much better job of cleaning with less wear on the clothes.

I'm not exactly clear why a front loader wouldn't evacuate water as well as a top loader unless there is a design flaw, after all a pump is a pump. If the manufacturer claims that water sits then look for a different brand.

I have a LG front loader works great had it 7 years now , direct drive motor = look Ma no belts

life time motor warranty

yeah standing water can be a problem but the LG has a drain & filter , I keep the door open no smells

being from Cali where water is charged by the weight of your left nut I like the low water use

and front loaders are way better on cleaning Plus easier on the wear & tear of clothes

I like my front loading machines. The Kenmore HT3 set bought at the Sears scratch and dent store lasted a little more than 10 years and the failure was caused by a coin which made it to a circuit board. We now have Samsungsteaming models and they work very well. Front loading washers do have an issue with water, mold and smell due to moisture trapped in the door seal but by following the directions you prevent the problem by leaving door open so it can dry. We wipe the seal down one a month with bleach.

I find the front loaders to be quiter and more efficient.

+1 [Y]

Our Kenmore front loader is quiet and efficient. It uses less water and spins the clothes nearly dry to cut down on dryer time. We save on detergent, water, electricity & natural gas.

We do leave the door open when not in use to avoid MUSTY smell.

Bought a GE Profile front loader pair a few years ago. There is NO way to use the high spin on rinse without it sounding like a train wreck (the load gets very unbalanced easily). The legs are stable but the centrifugal force is too much for the internal shocks to dampen. After 3 service calls the repair guys tell us we're s-o-l. During one wash a pants zipped got caught on the front gasket to the loading door, leaked like faucet to the tune of $190. And the control board went out too, glad it was under warranty for that one.

I have a LG front loader works great had it 7 years now , direct drive motor = look Ma no belts

Yea but a belt drive would have a more natural feel to the clothes, lesh harsh...

I went through the same thing a few years ago looking at new machines. Clothes were getting stained. After some research, the new special concentrated soap was to blame. The soap manufacturers all went to concentrated to reduce shipping cost and cause all of us to use more detergent. I used to have to clean the soap dispenser in my machine every few months. So here is the trick, don't throw away the jug when it is empty, when you buy a new jug, split it between about 2 or 3 jugs and top off with water. It will mix on its oown and comes out just like soap used to, kind of runny, and not gum up the machine.

Now as to a machine, I can reccomend the top of the line Kenmore, from 20+ years ago. I bought the set when I bought my first house and have had them for 20 years. The transmission went out soon after I bought the set and I thought that I was in for trouble. Got it fixed and and they are still working well (and look very good) after 20+ years.

My brother has the Maytag Atlantis top loaders with stainless drums. Very nice an dependable. I don't think they make them any more.

According to my repairman all the new ones are junk. I have a 15 year old Maytag that works fine. He says to keep that one going. He said the electronic boards in the new ones continually die. Also the "stink" with the front loaders is caused by undrained water. Mine is a top loader. Best of luck.

JJK

ditto on the electronics problem. between the smart dishwashers, dryers, and washer.....you need a whole house surge protecter wired in at the mains.

Have always used Kenmore and they have always worked well.

However Sears in general doesn't seem to be doing too well lately so that may start to change things, hopefully not.

Well Kenmore is not really a manufacturing company. It is a rebranding company. I own 5 sears appliances an I figured out which are which. The refridgerator is a rebraned LG. It has the same LED lighting and water/ice. The stove is a rebranded Fridgeaier, same convection oven/grill layout. The Dishwasher is a rebranded whirlpool europe model as it has the same layout and steam vent as the IKEA model which is a rebranded whirlpool europe edition. The washer and dryer are also fridgiaire. YMMV with kenmore.

Have always used Kenmore and they have always worked well.

However Sears in general doesn't seem to be doing too well lately so that may start to change things, hopefully not.

In regard to Sears, I've had excellent service after the sale. This is especially true in reference to "service policies" that I purchased for some of my Sears appliances.

El Cheapo Says:

I bought a top of the line super capacity, super duty Whirlpool washer and dryer pair in November 1993 at Western Auto as they were being discounted for close-out (because the new ones did NOT have the mechanical push buttons that I liked better than the electronic touch controls on the new ones). In 2008, I replaced the pump on the washer. Otherwise, nothing has been changed on either item since new, except the 220 cord on the dryer, so that it would mate with whatever socket was wherever I was living at the time. The pair have been in two locations in Fort Smith, AR; one location (two times) in North Little Rock, AR, and one location in Lawton, OK since I bought them...and they are still rocking and doing a great job on my duds! Just try to find a new washer that has HOT wash and HOT rinse cycle on it nowadays...most don't even have a warm rinse option, much less a hot wash option...so...my advice is...fix yer old one...or buy a great used one that has been run through by a repairman. The parts needed to keep them running are MUCH cheaper than the price of a new one...and if you don't like the finish, there are tons of auto body shops with spray rigs...just pick your favorite color! No manufacturers use baked-on enamel finishes anymore, so that isn't an issue. You can go online and google the manufacturer, and model and get a troubleshooting guide and the instructions on how to make any repairs...for FREE...some are even how-to videos....even the parts list with SKU parts numbers! TOO EASY!! Environmentally friendly? Recycling is always environmentally friendly! Water-saving? How many times a day do you flush a toilet that has clear-looking water in it?

El Cheapo environmentalist has spoken!

Besides, my old duds-scrubber/dryer stuff was built by American hands in Fort Smith, AR...back when Whirlpool was actually made in USA!