Almost there "New" Listening Room

Mallette

Well, it's almost there and I'm really liking it. Working up the SketchUp model really helped. Bit of cable management remaining and that Cinema F6 behemoth subwoofer to Formica and get up there. The PAW has promised to put that on the fast track for February if we have some warm days.

Sound is really very nice and imaging solid. The Frazier Monte Carlos are hung as you see in the model and having the DynaQuad depth in the image is a major nice return to basics.

The monitor was a massive bargain. I am very impressed with the quality and it's wifi is about the best in the house. I'm getting Netflix and related at HD with no lags with it.

Of course, that's just for the occasional documentary (OK, or 3 Stooges) that nobody else wants to watch, but nice to have. The computer on the top shelf is my original 2002 MBS Digital Audio Recorder on it's third MB and rebuild. Got an I-5 mini ITX in there now and it's got plenty of punch. Audio card is my vintage Card Deluxe. Still never heard better.

Going to pour up an Edradour or Balvenie Double Oak and head off to music land now...

Dave

post-7390-0-86920000-1389468232_thumb.pn

post-7390-0-97800000-1389468554_thumb.pn

The PAW has promised to put that on the fast track for February if we have some warm days.

It's about time. The sub has already had a birthday and hasn't had the first electron run through the voice coil yet. :lol:

Edited by CECAA850

Fun afternoon after all the work.

Listened to Louis Armstrong digital 24/88.2 transfer of one of his best recordings. It sort of blew away the "DynaQuad isn't very digital friendly theory." Sounded just like the LP. Very wide and deep image with trombones, clarinet, drums, piano, Louis, bass all very tightly and intimately positioned as in a front row table at a small French Quarter club from the old days. Downright spooky.

Then moved to the cassette deck and was reminded yet again that the "end time" metal cassettes and Dolby C were capable of near flawless reproduction. A transfer I made from a reel to reel in the mid-80s while I was in Singapore of "Revolver" blew me away.

Randomly grabbed "Ghostbusters II" off my stack of LaserDiscs just to check it out. Another bit of revelation. Certainly the image quality wasn't what we've gotten used to as my monitor has no S-Video input so I had to use composite, but here again I was less surprised at how bad it was than how good. Easily watchable. But the big thing was the sound. This is a pure 2 channel system with DynaQuad. For those who don't understand there are only two channels of amplifier output, split by the DynaQuad using simple phase cancellation and routed to 4 speakers. This was amazing. The opening "Ghostbusters" tune had the "Ghostbusters!" shouted response after "Who you gonna call?" as discretely in the surround channels as any Dolby or DTX encoded system. Further, the dialog was firmly phantom imaged without the "detached" sound that can come from many center speakers. Really outstanding.

Listened to my Alan Parsons Project reel to reel tape made on first play of the album "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" and found it high res digital good with all the best of analog. And, of course, dropped my copy of the acoustic recording of Paul Whiteman with George Gershwin at the piano on my Empire 78 rig and found it revelatory as ever.

Ended up listening to E. Power Biggs pedal harpsichord LP of Scott Joplin rags that Lonelobo gave me a couple of weeks ago. Pedal harpsichords are scare as hens teeth, and it seems like a stretch to not only play ragtime on one but have it played by a very rigid Bach pipe organ maestro. Worked beautifully! Someone must have slipped him a joint before he began to play.

As I mentioned, only major work left is to get that subwoofer up there so I can piss off the neighbors with 16hz pipe organ...

A beautiful day to be outside in Houston with the temp back in the 70s and bright sunshine. But I just opened the windows and pulled up the shades so I could have the best of both worlds.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Yep, that's the DynaQuad. Best tweak for the bucks ever. 5.00 in 1974. Nothing to wear out or fail.

Not sure what you are seeing Carl. The rendering is to scale and I've never had one fail yet. I am confident it will fit as shown. Perhaps you are thinking that metal rack with the Sony on it is staying. It's not...see the rendering.

Dave

One other note. My ST-70 remains off line due to a blown fuse from some unknown fault. Using a Soundcraftsman from the "warehouse" at the moment. Way too much power and, of course, that SS sound but more than listenable.

Now that the dust is settling I'll grab a meter and work out a phoncon with Craig to see if I can troubleshoot. If not, it's in for a trip.

Dave

Looking good, Dave. Sorry the ST70 is down. Mine has been apart since I got my 2A3 amps, as I got a new front end board for it. I may take the board and use it to make a tubed mic preamp, but life's been too busy to mess with much of anything lately.

Bruce

• Moderators

Very Nice, it looks like the depth of the room is perfect for the width, the part of the sofa by the back wall looks like the perfect spot between the Khorns. Many times you see Khorns pointing way in front of the seating, can't be good, yours looks right.

I don't have khorns but always wondered, where the sub is going and where that other big black box is, does it help Khorns to have them a few inches from the wall ? Wondering is it affects the sound when the soundwave can travel down that wall with less interference ? Can you hear a difference of is it not a big deal ?

Going to pour up an Edradour or Balvenie Double Oak and head off to music land now..

:emotion-21: Fine tuning