PSA on drugs & needles (illicit)

Coytee

We've got a nephew staying with us. He's had a prior...ahem... "issue" with injectable drugs that he's currently trying to beat.

Long story short, I take a shot to the stomach every other week. It's new to me. I had several old/used injectors that I was trying to responsibly dispose of at the hospital (that is another story...)

Nephew pulled the wife aside & asked that we do something with my used needles as he doesn't want to be tempted.

huh? Tempted by what?

We said sure... and prepared to toss them (aforementioned hospital story that failed)

Brought them back home & hid them until the weekend where I could think more about it.

As I was preparing their demise, I had a thought... what is in there?

I broke one apart and viola.... the contents are pictured below.

I decided to break them all apart and interestingly enough.... not one of them but, two of them were missing the syringe.

Seems "somebody" had already pulled them out.

Now, was he asking we hide them to hide his transgression? (I'll never know)

Was he planning on returning them? (cough)

I confronted him about the missing needles and he retrieved them for me. I destroyed all the glass syringes and also broke the needles off, rendering them useless.

In the event you or someone you know has an injectable item such as this, you might want to carefully look & see if it can be disassembled & the business end removed.

Now when I take my shot, I immediately destroy the entire item.

It would however, be much easier if the hospital took them from me. (they said they couldn't because they didn't know where they were and who had used them.....so she (the manager at the admission desk) said she simply throws hers into the trash which I immediately made the point that I would have thought the trash to be more irresponsible than them taking them. The folks working there sat with their eyes blazed open as though they were saying to themselves "please tell me she did NOT just say that" but, it was too late)

post-12967-0-44120000-1389571480_thumb.j

post-12967-0-92120000-1389571492_thumb.j

post-12967-0-39960000-1389571506_thumb.j

Richard,

Nephew would have burned his bridge with me when that happened!! You know we have met, and you are too nice of a guy for your own good!

If you can't ditch this nephew, then watch your AZZ!! You know I work in the medical field and junkies are a special kind of worthless!!

Any nurse could have easily sharpsed those syringes for you, but the hospital doesn't want the additional cost or liability.

Good luck Dude..... Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

I had left over syringes after my late wife passed way (malignant melanoma). I took them to the school nurse at the college where I work. She dropped them in their sharps box. End of story. They should have taken them, no questions asked.

As an aside, the hospice nurse who came to the house told me she collected a whole lot of narcotics from families whose loved ones had passed away. After she had a large collection, she flushed them down her toilet... killed her septic tank...).

A couple of houses ago, I found a paper bag with a few syringes in it. The police weren't interested. We wrapped them up well and let them go to the landfill.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Richard

You & I met at Hope also. I agree with Roger.

A few years ago I agreed to let my 21 yr old nephew stay with me. His issue was pot; maybe something harder I don't know. My ground rules were no drugs, keep the house clean & go to work.

In short order he broke the first two & got fired. I hung with him awhile, he had recently lost his mother to cancer. A couple of months later I didn't like how he was treating my mother (when he visited her)

and realized he was taking advantage of the situation & I really wasn't helping him. I made him move out. Later discovered drug pipes & I had missing items. Watches etc...

I think there's only so far you can go before it really affects you. He's now in a different state & supposedly cleaned up.

Good luck.

There is some good news on the "needles" issue. If you live to survive through your youth, you will outgrow it and give it up. I have met a number of people who used to do it. It's so hard on the system, you just finally give it up. I never tried it, and I am sure I never will. I have asked what it is like, and every description I've ever heard sounds like it's way too hard of a trip to enjoy.

There is some good news on the "needles" issue. If you live to survive through your youth, you will outgrow it and give it up. I have met a number of people who used to do it. It's so hard on the system, you just finally give it up. I never tried it, and I am sure I never will. I have asked what it is like, and every description I've ever heard sounds like it's way too hard of a trip to enjoy.

Jeff,

Oh really?? At what age?? I know you are a lawyer and probably run into some, but besides working in the medical field directly, I also work weekends at the jail. I see a lot of needle users in their 40's and 50's. I don't see any in their 60's and older, but I believe that is because they are dead. The average lifespan for the new Heroin family drug called crockodil is less than 1.5 years. They have no support systems because they have burnt ALL bridges. We even have one female, about 50, that is also a diabetic, that is not allowed to give her own insulin because she purposefully breaks off needles so she can get out of jail and go to the hospital. Hospitals and hospital Dr.s are easier to BS and get narcotics from. She had an open surgical wound to the abdomen that she pushed a pen into one time to go to the hospital.

Roger

Oh really?? At what age?? I know you are a lawyer and probably run into some, but besides working in the medical field directly, I also work weekends at the jail. I see a lot of needle users in their 40's and 50's. I don't see any in their 60's and older, but I believe that is because they are dead.

I would have said about 40-45, except for your observation. I have mostly talked to 60 year-olds (+/-) who say they used to do it 15-20 years ago but no longer had the steam-power to keep up with it because it was just too heavy. The folks I describe were mostly casual contacts, and I did not meet any "professionally" (e.g., criminal law). I suppose when you "professionally" encounter them, you will tend to see the worst of the worst.

There is some good news on the "needles" issue. If you live to survive through your youth, you will outgrow it and give it up.

LMAO, now that is funny. Just say no....... to "Heroin". Nancy would be proud.

Coytee, I feel for you bro, and I know it's family and all, but watch your azzz, you gotta greater responsibility to take care of you.

COLD TURKEY

Edited by Gilbert

Jeff,

Oh really?? At what age?? I know you are a lawyer and probably run into some, but besides working in the medical field directly, I also work weekends at the jail. I see a lot of needle users in their 40's and 50's. I don't see any in their 60's and older, but I believe that is because they are dead. The average lifespan for the new Heroin family drug called crockodil is less than 1.5 years. They have no support systems because they have burnt ALL bridges. We even have one female, about 50, that is also a diabetic, that is not allowed to give her own insulin because she purposefully breaks off needles so she can get out of jail and go to the hospital. Hospitals and hospital Dr.s are easier to BS and get narcotics from. She had an open surgical wound to the abdomen that she pushed a pen into one time to go to the hospital.

Roger

I looked up the crockodil. Not pretty at all:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/health/krokodil-zombie-drug/

I don't know how people do it. I can't even drink anymore without getting a hangover. I'm getting old I guess.

Richard,

I applaud you on giving your nephew a second(third?) chance. But he's gotta wanna quit and get better(straight). If he is not remorseful and sorry for what he has done, he is not ready to get straight IMHO.

As far as your sharps go, didn't your Dr. tell you what to do with your used needles? Or offer to dispose of them for you?

Eric

Jeff,

Roger

I looked up the crockodil. Not pretty at all:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/health/krokodil-zombie-drug/

I don't know how people do it. I can't even drink anymore without getting a hangover. I'm getting old I guess.

The real problem with Crockodil is that it is stronger than Heroin and a lot cheaper also. Dealers will be pushing the stuff off as Heroin for bigger profits!

Roger

I've been giving myself injections for 18-years (Type-1 Diabetes - that comes to over 12,400 shots total) but the syringes I use are far different than the ones you pictured. They look something like this.

But if you can find the medication you need that is a vile and NOT in a preloaded syringe that could make things all the easier. BTW - I keep my meds in the fridge and the cold makes the syringe all the easier to break in two at the needle. Then I just pitch em' in the garbage.

That'll work for the disposal of the syringe but you'll have to lock-up the un-used ones somehow.

BTW - Those preloaded syringes cost a freaking bundle compared to the vile.

post-3464-0-47320000-1389805772_thumb.jp

Edited by Mighty Favog