How to "listen"?

Thaddeus Smith

What I found over the years is that when it comes to Klipsch bigger is better. No Khorn or lascala ever competed with the sound qualities of a properly implemented MCM setup if you get what I'm saying. If you want more true to life "live" sound.......go bigger. Go as big as you can.

Give me that big PA sound.

Good grief Mark, did you have to go and drink the whole jug (kool-aid). :)

Good lord Dean, that's exactly what I thought. I just don't have the balls to type that...

But Mark has a point, however. If want it live, you need it big.

What I found over the years is that when it comes to Klipsch bigger is better. No Khorn or lascala ever competed with the sound qualities of a properly implemented MCM setup if you get what I'm saying. If you want more true to life "live" sound.......go bigger. Go as big as you can.

Give me that big PA sound.

Good grief Mark, did you have to go and drink the whole jug (kool-aid). :)

Yes....I drank the Kool-aid.

My problem (actually pleasure) is that I have 3 systems running in the same room and my DAC feeds all my sources to each system simultaneously. It's the ultimate A/B/C at the turn of the volume knobs. Nothing comes close (in my house) to theactively crossed 5-way MCM driven by McIntosh and QSC.........Period. The rest sound kinda small :rolleyes: .

The "mid" system is a 402 (with BMS coaxials) on top of DBBs with ALK ESNs.......passsively crossed driven by a Peach and MacIntosh MC-2100 amp.

The "vintage" system is a Scott LK-72 and a pair of cornwalls with DeanG networks in them.

I usually run all 3 on the weekends and 2 have the volume turned down. I switch back and forth when I want, for various songs that are enjoyable on one more than the others, etc. It also facilitates system comparisons..........are passives "clearer and more detailed" than an active setup? :D

I love them all and they all have a similar characteristic Klipsch sound.

But as I stated..........Go big. Bigger is better, and when you can do direct comparisons..........it is a no brainer. :)

I guess i just wondered if maybe I was too generous in my appreciation of gear...

That means you have an open mind.

Most of us here think about audio way more than most. That fact alone means your current setup will impress 90% of the (normal, hah) folks who hear it.

If a Klipsch forum member comes over to your place, be sure and voice what you've said in this thread. Put it out on the table that you'd be interested in any improvements or advice they have to offer. If your Klipsch visitor notices something a little off or whatever, it will be talked about and you will learn something that you may or may not implement. That's a fun part of this process. It can just as easily go the other way.....you would help me out by listening to my system. I know what you mean, I am slightly apprehensive before a fellow Klipsch-ite visits.

I just need to stop browsing the hi fi websites and trust my own ears.

:emotion-21:

I guess i just wondered if maybe I was too generous in my appreciation of gear and not nearly serious enough about this whole endeavor if I can't find any sort of worthwhile critique as i listen. Maybe I've just been spoiled by hearing already well sorted systems. :emotion-55:

It's fine to have a good appreciation for gear. Take it serious, but not so serious that you lose all appreciation of listening to music. They say listen to the music, not the gear...I have a hard time with that but am aware.

Maybe you have been spoiled listening to other nice systems, but use it as gauge to judge your system, and how to improve upon it.

I've heard a few nice 2 channel systems over the years, and it's kind of humbling coming home your lowly old stereo after hearing a well set-up designed big dollar system. But sometimes I come home and think it's not that MUCH worse.

Keep a open mind. Sometimes cheap gear can sound rather good...it's just matter of trying it...

one problem I am having is the VAST differences in sound quality coming from my system depending on recording... it really sucks.

I tune the system to a recording or over a few recordings averaging them out... then I pop on something else and it's way off (bass heavy)... then i pop on another recording and it sounds extremely thin.

• Like 2

It's funny Thaddeus, over the internet you strike me as a person who doesn't give a whit for what other people think about you. ( In a good way.) You seem pretty firm in your opinions & convictions. Why be concerned about the musings of an audio snob who doesn't care for the sound of your Cornwalls? Such a person would merely remind me of the last part of the horse that went over the fence. Such a person is not someone I would wish to host nor share drinks with. My opinion about the majority of the members of this forum is that they would be a pleasant group of folks to drink some beers with while listening listen to some tunes. Music, like food is meant to be shared with friends, if they don't care for the way you prepare your table, don't invite them back.

one problem I am having is the VAST differences in sound quality coming from my system depending on recording... it really sucks.

I tune the system to a recording or over a few recordings averaging them out... then I pop on something else and it's way off (bass heavy)... then i pop on another recording and it sounds extremely thin.

That symptom is exacerbated by the approach I'm taking of having as few components in the chain as possible, which means source directly connected to amp and no preamp (and therefore no tone controls).

It's funny Thaddeus, over the internet you strike me as a person who doesn't give a whit for what other people think about you. ( In a good way.) You seem pretty firm in your opinions & convictions. Why be concerned about the musings of an audio snob who doesn't care for the sound of your Cornwalls? Such a person would merely remind me of the last part of the horse that went over the fence. Such a person is not someone I would wish to host nor share drinks with. My opinion about the majority of the members of this forum is that they would be a pleasant group of folks to drink some beers with while listening listen to some tunes. Music, like food is meant to be shared with friends, if they don't care for the way you prepare your table, don't invite them back.

My public forum posts are about 10% of my overall character and identity. I'm extremely sarcastic and willing to stir the pot at any giving moment. I'm also deeply loyal and caring in solo interactions. Many things I could care less about, and yet others I find myself deeply self conscious over. I don't really concern myself with someone being rude to my face during a listening session. It's weeks later when that person is in casual conversation with another person and they're like "wow, that system was like nails on a chalk board. he must be completely tone deaf." Silly, i know, but the thoughts surface from time to time.

I'd wager that no one here could be 100% accurately represented by their forum posts. ;)

Bigger is just bigger. Bigger doesn't automatically make it better. For example -- how about that great sounding music they play through those massive behind the screen systems at your local theater? Hey, it's all good -- all driven by QSC and EQ'd out the wazoo. Now, if you listen really loud, bigger becomes a necesssary part of the equation. I remember meeting a guy once who told me he had four Klipschorns in a room powered with two, 200 wpc amplifiers. I tried not to notice his hearing aids.

I remember meeting a guy once who told me he had four Klipschorns in a room powered with two, 200 wpc amplifiers. I tried not to notice his hearing aids.

Don Davis is that way, but he'll be the first to tell you his hearing is shot from a career in drag racing. He's got some fun toys to play with and it all still manages to sound good.

I think I just spend too much time on the other forums/sites and not enough time here in "practical land".

I am with you there. I occasionally visit audioholics or one of the others via a link. However, I never have any interest in signing up as I find the populace in those places just a step or two...sometimes more...below our forum in gentility. Besides, I've never had a question I couldn't get answered here. The management is the best and they are incredibly "hands off" in allowing us to discuss all manner of things...with a couple of exceptions for which there are plenty of other places to take it.

Dave

Try listening at low levels. Get used to it that way. Enjoy it, don't get obsessed with the technology.

Bruce

I currently listen at or around 85dB. Your suggested volume would be.. 75dB? 50dB?

For me, 85dB would be fine. Maybe most on here exaggerate, but that's usually plenty loud and I think you get to really hear the music and enjoy it when you live in that range.

I'm with Dave, it needs to be about the music. Great gear is nice, a lot of fun, blah, blah, but I want my toes to start tappin'!

Bruce

Dean,

Bring your Heresys, lascalas, and Khorns, (with the PIOs..... :D) in them (and some chip amps) over and we'll have a shootout.

I don't know why people automatically assume an MCM setup is just for loud listening. It's a very versatile setup and sounds great a lower volume. I don't have a habit of listening that loud at all. Really.

I would dial in what sounds best to you. Tweak it. Try your absolute favorite song on a lot of different variations. If you know a certain song, can be anything, use it but you must know EVERY SINGLE SOUND very well. I have a song that I use whenever I change anything. I close my eyes and visualize each sound "

Best of luck,

Ron

I can not count the times I've thought i knew a song forward and back only to implement some new piece of gear and hear nuance that was obscured. There is also a downside to using music you consider your favorite, Once you begin to use something as reference material and critically listen you will always use it as such and will likely no longer love it

I have several songs I wish I had not used for critical listening, :angry:

I learned how to guage my systems / gear by visiting people with much better hearing than me, listening to there systems and picking there brains (we became friends thru music, we remain friends )

A new Epiphany for me is Headphones IE.... the fore mentioned friends above would talk about nuances in music i could never hear on an open air speaker setup, I am now hearing those nuances with headphones (this may prove an asset or a problem for me if i set up another open air system :blink: )

A new Epiphany for me is Headphones IE.... the fore mentioned friends above would talk about nuances in music i could never hear on an open air speaker setup, I am now hearing those nuances with headphones (this may prove an asset or a problem for me if i set up another open air system :blink: )

Since you mentione dit, that might be an easy answer. Get some decent headphones (They do not need to cost a fortune - I use Sennheiser HD600's and 595s). Listen to some music and then listen again on your system.

The headphones will be as revealing as some of the most low distortion and revealing speakers available.

Lot of truth in the headphones thing, but at the risk of the ire of the headphone crowd, one thing I've never gotten from them was a since of real space...especially since one's sound field moves (IMHO) with the head and so remains very unnaturally "fixed." That said, there are nuances to be heard through headphones, even those not in the "high end" category. I've had Koss, Sennhieser's, Stantons, and Beyers over the years that were really awesome. But never any I preferred to sitting in a space with a "real" image out there that changes in nuances of its own as I move around in it. Just because we say there is a "sweet spot" doesn't mean it's the only good spot to listen. Sometimes you hear things differently to one side or the other, or more forward and back.

Further, I consider listening a social experience. Not for off topic chit chat about Obamacare or whatever over great music, but for the occasional "wow" or even just a sigh of approval, or the "Did you HEAR that D trumpet go where no trumpet has gone before???"

Dave

Edited by Mallette