Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good morning all. Two cups this morning. Heard the '08 suv w/86k miles probably needs a new engine yesterday to the tune of $11k... Going to be trolling for second opinions, but all maintainence has been done at the dealer, religious synthetic oil changes and now a peculiar noise and it's dead?! Sigh, we have our health. It could be so much worse but I'm still having two cups today! :-) Cheers!

Dave....

Is this a GM SUV? Tahoe/Yukon?

If so what noise is it making....is it a ticking sound? These have LSx engines that are notorious for piston slap.....sounds like ticking valvetrain or lound knocking at start up that usually goes away after warming up. It in now way effects the reliability of the vehicle.

A LSx based crate motor does indeed run about $8000/9000....but your's with 86K miles should be worth a rebuild if it's truly needed....I had a 2002 Suburban that I put 250K on and did little more than basic maintenance to it.....they are VERY reliable engines.

I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion  

• Like 4

Sorry - I realize I left that off - it's an import - Volvo XC90.  We have a great relationship with our mechanic.  He has done minor maint on it, he looked at it and recommended we take it to the dealer bc it's in deep and he felt if he could even get to it, it would likely be expensive and he wasn't confident he could do it as efficiently as they could.  I've had my truck for 16 years ('00 Silverado) and he's kept it running like a top.  Things happen I guess, but I was kind of waiting for the camera crew to come out when he dropped the $11k pricetag.  I know imports are more, but seriously?  We did get it used off CL for 22k four years ago, but they had maint records from the dealer.  Our mechanic looked when we bought it, said it looked great, felt pretty good about it and then out of nowhere...  They have better reputations than that.  More to come I suppose.  We won't have them do anything without a detailed list of the problem and take it to our guy first. etc.

Edited by akdave
  • Like 4

Yeah, if that SUV is a GM product with AFM and excessive oil consumption we need to talk. 1 quart of oil every 2 thousand miles is NOT normal. I don't care what GM says LOL.

There are a lot of auto manufactures that say 1qt every 1000 miles is with-in "normal oil consumption"..

Toyota says 1qt every 600 is normal.....can you say Bull Shitt....

It's a big problem in the industry..... Honda is going through a lot of shitt with there VCM V-6 engines...a lot of issues with those engines..... also some issues with some of the 4 cylinder's..... Do a google on Honda oil consumption......it's horrible.....

Every week I get customers in the shop with a 3 year old Honda that has a VCM engine in it and there's no oil on the dip stick. I advise them they have to check there oil or they end up blowing the engine...

It's just bad....

MKP :-)

• Like 4

I was losing about 1 qt per 2000 miles. Took off all AFM stuff and installed new pistons, rings, rod bearings, cam, etc.

Now I'm lost 1/4 of a quart in 5000 miles. I'm not a fan of AFM or any system that turns off cylinders. 

I dont know squat about a Volvo XC90 though, sorry.

• Like 2

Whoa, I've just been reading about a semi common issue with that motor.  I don't know if this is your issue or not.  I've never seen a motor set up like this.  Many motors have counter balance shafts that rotate opposite the crankshaft to cancel vibrations.  This motor has one as well BUT it's not inside the motor or lubricated with engine oil like all that I've ever seen.  It sits in the V of the motor and is driven by a chain.  The bearing is sealed and non serviceable.  In order to replace it the motor must be pulled.  If it fails, the engine jumps time and you put valves through the pistons.  What a design fubar.

• Like 4

I read that, they said it went from 50 lanes to 20 and it caused a 75 mile backup, sounds like LA.

hey--now you're bashing my freeways....i've been in gridlock on the 405 at midnight. (Unless you're talking about LA as in Louisiana).

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 5