Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

7 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

A-10s just look mean. I'm directly under a flight pattern of two Warthogs, they pass over probably 4-6 times a year. They seem low and slow. Not sure where they're going, or coming from, is Grissom AFB still open?

The cat almost saved that hi-side. Looks like he hit his head, hope he was ok. Alex Marquez had a hi-side much worse than that last Saturday in Valencia Spain. He raced Sunday, but wasn't competitive. 

I understand Alex Marquez broke a bone in his hand, or maybe somewhere else, and it caused his left hand to go to sleep after seven or eight laps, and he could not maintain his pace. 

23 minutes ago, Islander said:

I understand Alex Marquez broke a bone in his hand, or maybe somewhere else, and it caused his left hand to go to sleep after seven or eight laps, and he could not maintain his pace. 

I hadn't heard about his hand. I'm surprised he was able to race at all, the pics looked bad. I think Honda should've kept him. His replacement for next year (Pol Aspargaro) is fast, but crashes a lot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

A-10s just look mean. I'm directly under a flight pattern of two Warthogs, they pass over probably 4-6 times a year. They seem low and slow. Not sure where they're going, or coming from, is Grissom AFB still open?

Yes Grissom Air Reserve Base is still open.

The A10's are now in Terre Haute but fly to Grissom often, the KC-135 Stratotankers flown by the 434th Air Refueling Wing call Grissom home.

The Air Museum at Grissom host on of my favorite car shows, "The Warbird Cruise-In". The show cars are parked under the wings of the aircraft with the A10's visiting and flying low and slow (pilot clearly visible through the canopy) overhead enjoying the view of the vehicles. Seemingly in appreciation of us as much as we are of them.

The bases namesake:

Lt. Col. Virgil Grissom was a native Hoosier and one of America's original seven astronauts. He was born on April 3, 1926, in Mitchell, Ind. After graduating from high school, he joined the Army Air Corps in 1944.

After completing his initial military service, he enrolled at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind. He graduated in 1950 with a degree in mechanical engineering and reenlisted in the Air Force.

He received his commission as a second lieutenant in 1951 and upon completion of pilot training, was sent to Korea where he flew 100 combat missions and won the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal. Subsequent assignments included duty as an instructor and test pilot at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.

In 1959, Colonel Grissom was chosen for America's space program and became one of the original seven astronauts. The exploits of Colonel Grissom and his fellow astronauts were chronicled in the book and movie, "The Right Stuff."

He flew the second U.S. manned spacecraft, the Liberty Bell, on July 22, 1961. Two years later he teamed with Navy Commander John Young to fly America's first three orbit missions in the Gemini 3 space capsule. During that flight, he became the first man to maneuver a vehicle in space.

Colonel Grissom was to have the honor of being the first flight commander for the Apollo space program. It was the Apollo program that eventually landed a man on the moon. However, he died January 27, 1967, at Cape Kennedy, Fla., along with two fellow astronauts when they were trapped in their burning Apollo spacecraft. It was engulfed in a flash fire as they were testing the craft on its launching pad.

On May 12, 1968, Bunker Hill AFB was renamed in his honor. When the base became a reserve facility in 1994, the name was changed to Grissom Air Reserve Base. The base was rededicated in his honor on Sept. 30, 2011, during a special ceremony held in the newly named Gus Grissom Hall. A special plaque was also installed on the base parade grounds to commemorate the day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I hadn't heard about his hand. I'm surprised he was able to race at all, the pics looked bad. I think Honda should've kept him. His replacement for next year (Pol Aspargaro) is fast, but crashes a lot.

Crash.net has a lot of good up-to-date GP news.

Maybe Honda likes fast guys who crash a lot, like Marc Marquez.  He crashed 5 times in one weekend and still won on Sunday.  Supposedly, he does a lot of yoga and is very flexible.  The new airbag suits help a lot, of course.  

Have you considered getting one, even for street riding?  A buddy of mine in California has an airbag-equipped jacket, and he’s very happy with it.  They’re a bit pricy, but not crazy expensive.  If one saves you from a month off work due to a crash, it could be a good deal.

13 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

But he got a $1000 bottle of cognac.

That was $1,000, a bottle of unspecified cognac, and a souvenir Russian uniform.  Looks like he’s assuming nobody will ever look in his closet.  I guess the cheapest spies are the dumbest ones.

• Like 1