Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

You're allowed.  I know you have a thing about spiders.

Done with chores.... vacuum and laundry. Clouds are starting to bubble up. The laundry will be dry before anything exciting happens,. [we use a "solar" clothes dryer].... I hope... We got a smattering last night. Enough to make it good and humid.

too hot to do anything strenuous outside.... hanging the laundry is about as much as I wanna do.

still fairy comfortable in the house

• Like 2

Another day on I-85 today. Wouldn't be bad if they didn't post a 35mph speed limit on part of it ten miles long in GSP. Wasn't watching local stuff so I was unaware that someone ran into a tanker.. it blew up and they got killed a couple months ago. Sad.. but when it's down to one lane how do you not see a stopped truck in front of you?? The traffic has been bad since construction started five years ago.

Oh and the clothes thing with the multi-layered move and storage shenanigans I'm doing? Asked my uncle if he'd fish out three flannels for me and i would bring the summer stuff I don't need back when we finished emptying the storage bins today. And my field jacket if he saw it. He grabbed a stack of winter shirts a foot deep, I mean about fifteen sweaters, flannels and my fave the river-drivers from llbean. Think I'll be able to go all winter without washing my long sleeve shirts!

Yea, and it's 90 outside right now:laugh:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Never did anything yet, the shed just needs the doors closed and it's done. But I will need to take down bird feeders and hummingbird feeders plus the 2 flags and 6 ferns. Then we may stay or leave, if it turns into a 3 we will probably leave. 

Try to bring the Hummingbirds in.  They are light and may blow away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Another day on I-85 today. Wouldn't be bad if they didn't post a 35mph speed limit on part of it ten miles long in GSP. Wasn't watching local stuff so I was unaware that someone ran into a tanker.. it blew up and they got killed a couple months ago. Sad.. but when it's down to one lane how do you not see a stopped truck in front of you?? The traffic has been bad since construction started five years ago.

Oh and the clothes thing with the multi-layered move and storage shenanigans I'm doing? Asked my uncle if he'd fish out three flannels for me and i would bring the summer stuff I don't need back when we finished emptying the storage bins today. And my field jacket if he saw it. He grabbed a stack of winter shirts a foot deep, I mean about fifteen sweaters, flannels and my fave the river-drivers from llbean. Think I'll be able to go all winter without washing my long sleeve shirts!

Yea, and it's 90 outside right now:laugh:

I like sweaters.....all cotton crew necks since wool irritates my neck.  Better in cooler weather though!

• Like 4

Really? I love wool, and not the stuff mixed with polyester either. Now that Merino Wool... it's my socks and underwear year round the past couple of years. Never thought twice about quitting the now awfully made white tube socks after I got them for a gift! And my Darn Tough are still good five years later, I was having to buy my old favorite tube socks twice a year.. and I do clip my toenails also!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

Not really the kind of birds were use to at the bird feeder.

You know when you get down to it those things suck . The bike trail that takes me back home is loaded with them . They hiss at you , stand in your way and are generally unpleasant ; kinda like vagrants . I have yet to throw down with one of them but it is gonna happen sometime .

• Like 4

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

You know when you get down to it those things suck . The bike trail that takes me back home is loaded with them . They hiss at you , stand in your way and are generally unpleasant ; kinda like vagrants . I have yet to throw down with one of them but it is gonna happen sometime .

Not only that but they constantly eat, so they leave a trail of poop wherever they go. This is about 1/3 of them, they are here all year, if you get to close they make noise and go the other way. I have not tried to run up on them I think they would probably come after me ? If they get mean I will find a recipe, never tried it but might ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, dtel said:

This is about 1/3 of them, they are here all year,

remember the movie years ago --where geese need to be educated to  do the travel from Canada back to the USA and back , -they dont migrate , cause they are Orphaned , hunters shoot down the parents  or  natural events take fold , when you see Canadian geese heading home , next year , they might  fly high  and join the rest of the  birds -

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Canada geese are either very smart or very lazy.  They’ve given up on migrating in parts of Canada, too.  As for the poop, it takes only 45 minutes for their first meal of the day to emerge, horribly changed, and the process continues all day, thus the origin of the expression, “like shite through a goose”.  This refers to any surprisingly quick process.

That’s actually the Irish pronunciation, and there are no Canada geese in Ireland, but it gets past the censor-bot that way.

A factor that adds points to the lazy side of the equation is the fact that Canada geese in Toronto, and in other parts as well, often prefer to walk, instead of flying.  You would think that being able to fly would be the main joy of being a bird, but not to those geese, it seems.  It’s too much like hard work, I suppose.

They’ll mob their way across a busy road, gradually blocking first one lane, then the next, until all three lanes are stopped, then the whole herd will walk across the road.  Then they hop up onto the wide grassy median and repeat the process for the other three lanes of Lakeshore Boulevard.  They head south to the lakeshore in the morning to graze, and then back north across the road in the afternoon to their sleeping area in High Park in the afternoon.

Toronto can get pretty cold in the winter, but even that doesn’t persuade them to fly South.  Liquid water never gets below 0C, so when it gets really cold, like -20C/-4F, they’ll sit in the water near the shore, ducking their heads occasionally into the warmer/less frigid water to warm up.  The water just runs off their heads, of course.

Perhaps as a result of climate change, coyotes have appeared in Canada.  There were none in Toronto when I left there twenty years ago, but they’re there now, and in Vancouver as well, where biting attacks have become frequent in Stanley Park.  I wonder if that will encourage the geese to move on, or maybe they gang up on the coyotes? I don’t know.

There is one easy way to discourage Canada geese.  Stop cutting the grass so short.  They don’t like walking through long grass.  This has been shown to work in Toronto.  Their habit of blocking Lakeshore Boulevard twice a day was 25 years ago.  Since then, the grass on the median has been allowed to grow long, and I think that has helped a lot.

• Like 3

On 8/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, grasshopper said:

Mornn' all

found out that I have something [else] wrong with me.

a condition called synesthesia.  When I jam on my keyboard, I see what I am playing in colors when I close my eyes.

another lazy day. Already getting warm/ Drank a pot of coffee and ate a plateful of chorizo and eggs... ready for a nap now.

Quite a bunch of composers had that condition... Sibelius and Liszt, Duke Ellinton, Billy Joel...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, babadono said:

LSD and other hallucinogens cause that.:)

I knew that was coming.

-------------------

Ida looks to be turning into a monster. Y'all take care and stay safe as ya can.

We could see some flooding from this little thing headed up the Sea of Cortez. This year reminds me of '83. We had a 500yr flood. Good thing I'm on a little knoll

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My mamaw and an aunt that lived nearby out in the country got geese for "guard-dogs" once when they were elderly. They would chase stray dogs and often grandkids getting out of station wagons back to where they came from. Honk when anybody came near. The bites... they would leave a whelp but I kicked that one and it let go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2