Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 8/28/2021 at 6:29 PM, BigStewMan said:

Be safe all of you in harm's way. Still don't know how/why you folks do this ... annually or a couple times a year for that matter. I guess I was spoiled growing up in Los Angeles ... all we had to do was worry if we forgot our sunglasses at home and that could make the afternoon drive pretty sketchy.  Maybe an Earthquake every 10 - 20 years, some SMOG, gangs, ridiculously overpriced homes; but NO hurricanes or tornados. 

It must be really nice there the rest of the year for you faithful to stick it out there. 

Stay well and be careful. 

We get earthquakes here too . 

https://www.live5news.com/2021/08/29/largest-east-coast-quake-struck-135-years-ago-charleston/

• Like 2

I was gonna ask for a head count.... but, with no electricity, Means no net.... NO is asking folks to conserve water. Pumps are down or something like that.

I remember going down to the swimming pool for a bucket of water to flush the toilet. ... and something to drink [any something -water wasn't safe] was most likely a warm Budweiser... blech

-----------------------------------

My Monday routine going.... Yardwork and laundry. I was out at 5:30A. Robe with a hood. The mosquitoes are getting bad. I think we are seeing Tiger mozzies. Little guys that go straight for the jugular. None of the cursory buzzing around.

thinking of rearranging the livingroom. Put the LS on the short wall of a 12 X 25.  Just to see how the sound changes. I have noticed that the doghouse [12 X 12, 7ft ceiling] gives a totally different sound. More bottom. If I had any tone control on 2channel with this Sony avr, I would turn the bass down. Where the same speakers in the LR seem a little light on the bottom. Another thing ... The ceiling in the LR is sloped and they are on the tall wall. Because I didn't read the book, anyone care to tell me what I might expect from moving the speakers. Two different scenarios... Putting them on the lower side of the long walls. Of the long walls, one is 7'6" and the other 8'6" ...... and setting them on the 12ft wall....

• Like 2

@grasshopper  

I have read the book

smilie-gross_335.gif

but can't really help you from this distance. Maybe you open a new thread in the Two Channel Home Audio section, describe your equipment (La Scala?), the problem and make a small drawing of the room. I am sure that you will get a lot of suggestions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

no news from Elden or Christy .......they must have lost power last night --the area got hit very hard , roofs , buildings , trees , the grid ,  cell towers , power lines , are down -this is a waiting game -

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't watch any news ... what caused the catastrophic failure of the power grid was it high winds or flooding?  

Is this a case where we've done all we can; but Mother Nature is just stronger or could New Orleans after the rebuild after Katrina done more to safeguard utilities during future storms?  last year, I was without power for about 90 minutes and I was ready to go ballistic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I don't watch any news ... what caused the catastrophic failure of the power grid was it high winds or flooding?  

Is this a case where we've done all we can; but Mother Nature is just stronger or could New Orleans after the rebuild after Katrina done more to safeguard utilities during future storms?  last year, I was without power for about 90 minutes and I was ready to go ballistic. 

I think it was high winds that took down all 8 high voltage transmission towers that supply the city.  There must be a better way than going over head for these things where big storms are likely, but I surmise that no one wants to pay for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think wind did the damage to the transmission lines. One major tower/line fell into the Mississippi River.

Smoke from the CA fires was evident here. The other night, I was looking at the stars and they had an orange cast.

Cool/ish and quite humid this AM. Remnants from Nora are supposed to make rain today and tomorrow.... We'll see

• Like 3