Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

11 hours ago, dtel said:

Thank you, were fine, just noticed this evening we lost one tree which is the only damage, nothing on the house.

The tree is  a Red Oak about 40' tall, it is In the back yard kind of behind some cypress so I didn't notice. It snaped off about 8' in the air at that height it is about 15" thick, kind of suprised since it was only that height and that thick, thought it was stronger. 

I got it from a nursery about 25 years ago for $3, it was in a bunch of trees they wanted to get rid of so I can't complain. 

This one in the back ground, 3 year old pic. Very happy it is the only loss.

yard-24-2.JPG

Great wood for the pit. 

• Like 3

Mornin' all

The few people I know where Ida made mess are accounted for and OK....

Our tropical wet turned out to be a bust here. We got 0.60in... Whoopee?!? We get more in a typical t-storm

-----------------------

Just for shitz-n-giggles, I tapped a cup of coffee when the pot was half brewed... to see how much difference 1 measure to one [6 oz] cup makes....  It was stronger, but not appreciably. I think it's  just to make you use more beans... And if it was significantly stronger, I would have to mix milk and sugar and be back to one measure/cup.

random association relating to using as much of a product as recommended

have you seen how much pine sol/gal water is directed? That would not only disinfect.... it would kill larger things, like small animals

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grasshopper said:

Mornin' all

The few people I know where Ida made mess are accounted for and OK....

Our tropical wet turned out to be a bust here. We got 0.60in... Whoopee?!? We get more in a typical t-storm

-----------------------

Just for shitz-n-giggles, I tapped a cup of coffee when the pot was half brewed... to see how much difference 1 measure to one [6 oz] cup makes....  It was stronger, but not appreciably. I think it's  just to make you use more beans... And if it was significantly stronger, I would have to mix milk and sugar and be back to one measure/cup.

random association relating to using as much of a product as recommended

have you seen how much pine sol/gal water is directed? That would not only disinfect.... it would kill larger things, like small animals

And most shampoo brands tell you to lather and rinse your hair twice....never do!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

And most shampoo brands tell you to lather and rinse your hair twice....never do!

And that reminds of a college girlfriend (hippie type) that used fabric softener as a hair conditioner and diluted Clorox as a teeth whitener.  Wonder how she looks these days?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, dtel said:

Never tried any except the regular ginger ale, not sure I would like it ?

Yeah, one time when I ordered ginger beer to go with my fish ‘n chips, I took a big sip, and went, “What?  This is beer!”.  It took me by surprise, since I hadn’t heard of ginger-flavoured beer before.  We have lots of local brewpubs here, so if you can imagine it, somebody is probably brewing it as we type.

Another time, I got the “hard” ginger beer, which tasted better to me than the ginger-flavoured beer, but for me the ginger is enough kick for my mouth.  I don’t need alcohol on top of it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

There’s a similar story with Pepto-Bismol.  Sales were okay with the recommended dose of one pill, then some advertising exec got the idea of “Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz”, and sales almost immediately doubled.  Were two pills twice as effective as one? Who knew?  Who cared?

On CBC Radio One, there’s a weekly show called Under the Influence, which is about advertising, and how one ad campaign might flounder, while another bright idea can double sales.  It makes for interesting listening sometimes.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Islander said:

There’s a similar story with Pepto-Bismol.  Sales were okay with the recommended dose of one pill, then some advertising exec got the idea of “Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz”, and sales almost immediately doubled.  Were two pills twice as effective as one? Who knew?  Who cared?

"Plop, plop, fizz, fizz" was Alka-Seltzer. 

• Like 6

• Moderators
12 hours ago, RandyH said:

- time for you  to take some rest  after the past 48 hours , everything else can wait -

I have to feel bad to do nothing, worked in the shop yesterdaycutting metal, going again in a minute, went to take a pic of that tree. 

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Great wood for the pit. 

Yes it will it is many small branches so little splitting. 

Going to drag it out in the open and just leave it untill it cools off some. 

yard ida (2).jpeg

yard ida (1).jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

I have to feel bad to do nothing, worked in the shop yesterdaycutting metal, going again in a minute, went to take a pic of that tree. 

Yes it will it is many small branches so little splitting. 

Going to drag it out in the open and just leave it untill it cools off some. 

yard ida (2).jpeg

no doubt in my mind that that tree will survive , I would  cut the trunk for a frank cut at the highest point to avoid bug infestation in cracks or splinters , then apply pitch  or varathane over all exposed areas  , which will prevent bugs from attacking the tree from the inside - 

one thing about roofing pitch is that it kills any bugs that try to eat through wood , but it does not affect the tree 's bark , 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have a bunch of these, some store years ago wanted to get rid of them and almost gave them away. I opened one and never finished it in years. It may be very similar to what your talking about, it is black and thick as tar, it can hardly be spread on it is so thick, but it stays in place and seems to work.  

G1982_01_800x800.jpg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Edgar said:

"Plop, plop, fizz, fizz" was Alka-Seltzer. 

That's a true story about Alka Seltzer.  My dad, who was in advertising close to 50 years till he passed away last month, knew the guy who came up with the jingle for them.  The company had a great product but sales weren't going well so, as a last ditch effort, they went to an advertising firm who told them they should package them as two versus one.  Dawes came up with the jingle which is well known in pop culture to this day.  My dad also wrote, and sold, many jingles for various tv & radio stations from the late 70's almost up this death in July.  Matter of fact, one of dads close friends at Hummingbird Production in Nashville wrote a jingle for his Memorial Service that was a real tear jerker.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, avguytx said:

The company had a great product but sales weren't going well so, as a last ditch effort, they went to an advertising firm who told them they should package them as two versus one. 

I had forgotten that Alka-Seltzer originally came in a tubular glass bottle with individual tablets inside. Later they were packaged in foil packets with two tablets in each.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dtel said:

Never tried any except the regular ginger ale, not sure I would like it ?

What's regular ginger ale? Canada Dry? Or Vernor's?

Bought this one at Costco:

View Larger Image 1

Yowzer.....talk about ginger....makes a interesting drink mixed with gin. Yummmm

This is the cocktail thread, right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1