Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, babadono said:

Meanwhile there is a wild fire blazing just over the ridge from our community. Just talked with my neighbor who lives much closer to the top of the ridge. He said he's ready to bug out if need be.

Good luck and keep a watch out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NADman said:

The best time to cook one up is when they first arrive back in the springtime where they have been eating corn in Mexico all winter. They use the trade winds and don't work hard enough to toughen them up on the way back north. They are no good to eat after they have been here all summer digging and eating mud. I'm old, but a few hunters, trappers and fishermen showed me this when they were old, a long time ago.

These never leave here, well from pond to pond in the neighborhood but that's it. They walk around eating bugs and the seeds off the grass mostly. Probably would not taste good, never tried one and probably never will.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, babadono said:

Meanwhile there is a wild fire blazing just over the ridge from our community. Just talked with my neighbor who lives much closer to the top of the ridge. He said he's ready to bug out if need be.

We're all hoping  , matters are under control----All the Best ,and Good luck-

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RandyH said:

We're all hoping  , matters are under control ,  with the Fire dept ---All the Best 

Thanks all. It looked like just before dark that they had a handle on it...but air ops do not continue at night...we'll see come morning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Marvel said:

We get tornados here, but the southern part of the Appalachians is pretty awesome. We do, apparently,  have some high volume meth production, and gangs who moved here after Katrina.

Great roads for motorcycling.

Not many tornados over here by Lake Lanier but I have a house with a basement just in case. Alabama seems to get hammered though.

Originally from mid-west and I've had a more than a few close calls. Came home from work one day to find houses across the street destroyed. Same storm killed thirteen people in an apartment complex about 10 miles away.

Thought that the meth production moved south of the border after pseudoephedrin was restricted. The meth addicts are everywhere. They are 30 looking like 90 year olds.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Ok I thought this was funny. the weather channel people have no idea.

They said the storms eye made landfall :lol: They are calling this land, it's barely land on a high tide, have to go a good bit more to get to land.

Look at that little speck of marsh they are calling land, if you step on it you would go up to your butt.

landfall.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Millibars @ 930 is pretty bad, doesn't matter if it is small on a comparative of sizes of hurricanes. It like an extremely slow, huge tornado + the surge. Hope NO comes out ok, they're on the west side of it I think.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Millibars @ 930 is pretty bad, doesn't matter if it is small on a comparative of sizes of hurricanes. It like an extremely slow, huge tornado + the surge. Hope NO comes out ok, they're on the west side of it I think.

Looking at the sat. imaging, NO will be just on the east side of the path.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Board up that window, batten down the hatches, and stay safe.

Always wanted a hatch, need to get one one day.

There saying 80 mph winds in the French Quarter, so this means if your just leaving a bar, hold on to the walls as you walk, you know the typical last resort move before gravity sucks you in.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

No problem with storm surge in NO. but possible flooding for sure. NO. is on the East side of this storm, it is heading toward Baton Rouge on this radar pic. We are above where it says Slidell in this pic, across the state line.

local_radar_img.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I did not get a regular map background with the radar I had up. Most weather radars have morphed into quasi-realistic-imaginary-soothsayer bullya.

Really miss Intellicast, how it was when it was great!

At least it will weaken, fingers crossed for it getting very weak quickly.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

Stay safe everyone!

Baton Rouge... oil refineries... not good.

That will be shut down for days I would think, offshore people are long evacuated. 

56 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

At least it will weaken, fingers crossed for it getting very weak quickly.

I hope, it's still at 130mph, but that's down by about 15. My best hope is to keep electricity, it was weeks after katrina, it gets old. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4