Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:
5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Smithfield, the only company that to me and many others makes edible bacon is closing indefinitely.

These guys are better in my book.

https://www.wrightbrand.com/

I would only buy Smithfield if it was on sale . Otherwise I stick to Kirkland/Costco Signature . 

• Like 2

I go to BJs although Costco is a lot closer. Smithfield's ham has turned gross to me the past couple of years. They do not cure it the same... maybe the chi-moos-azis demanded it.

If there is still salt cured or good smoked ham at Costco I'll see what I can swing from there!

Only Smithfield my whole life for pork except the Mallard Creek Church BBQ and Spoons (RIP Bill Spoon you are missed) oh and Neeses sausage!!

• Like 4

Hormel Black Label. Wait for a sale @$2.49/2.99 lb. Buy plenty, probably 10 lbs. in freezer. Lasts a while, eat it occasionally and only half pound a time between the two of us. Used Kirkland brand for a long time until there seemed to be more grease in the pan than bacon. Found it to be extremely fatty, much more so than Black Label. That’s my bacon story and stickin’ by it — 🐖🍅🥓🥬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our Ruritan Club gets hams from somewhere, and bakes them to sell. We just made $800 on our last batch. The one we got last year was delicious. They also do smoked pork a couple times a year. We got about 15 lbs. last year, as pulled pork. I divided it up into small ziplock and put it in the freezer, then pull out a bag  and heat ed it up for sandwiches.

• Like 5

I'm kinda up past my bed time. An hour after dark and up well before sunrise.

Nocturnal is not me. I am waking up and drinking coffee, watching the night people going home. I've had a couple jobs that I worked 4A - noon and 5A - 1P respectively. Suited me perfect.

Explains why I seem a little wound up at 6AM. Hitting my stride about that time

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

well

such as my "stride" is nowadays... more of a feeble hobbling along.

I'm mentally active, unless I take measures to slow/stop that crap. Thinking gets me in trouble... ask my wife

I have the house to myself today. We will be pumping the jams... Kind of my way of letting the neighbors I am still alive. Wife keeps telling me it is OK to listen to music when she is home... I keep telling her she wouldn't like it. I don't go sensory overload... just drown out all ambient noises. Those AF jets can present a challenge...

Boy decided to start making his own coffee.  About time. He has one of those "4 cup" coffee makers. Told him that if he put the coffee on before he goes to the bathroom, it will be done by the time he finishes in there.He still has a way to go before he's cowboy tough. Made one big step... doesn't use milk/cream and sugar any more. Don't think he is ready for cowboy coffee, yet. You know... the coffee you sieve grounds out with your 'stache ...."boiled"

Boy was asking me about the different roasts put to coffee. First thing was to tell him the diff between dark and strong. Had to straighten him out on that one.

Enough about me

How is everyone in the storm affected areas? Getting electricity back? DC looks like it took a shot. Y'all OK over there?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Looks like the biggest hit was about 1500 yrds wide and up to 9 miles long... up to 140 mph wind speeds. We still have no power, and they are saying 32k still without. Saying it could be another 7-10 days. 😬

We still have 1200 folks to take care of and 800 staff to do the work.

• Sad 4

I have started pouring the coffee from the carafe from a height of 12-18 inches.  I have a theory that it aerates the coffee and adds a little head to the finished pour.  May not do a thing but it's kinda fun anyway.  Yes I'm easily entertained.

No storm damage here to speak of.  Hang in there Bruce!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well the tennis courts reopened this morning so LF is excited and on her way.  She promised to keep her distance....no high fives or such.  I added and no slaps on the butt!  I'm not sure about the logic in opening the courts to play.  I think I'm having an easier time with this than she is but I lean toward the couch potato type and she likes to be more active.

• Like 3

I think wife is happy with going in to work today. She can get much more done there. She has all of her resources, printers, space .... I'm too used to being home... alone. I had planned on going to the lake once a week before all this

I get more social distance at home.

Guess I'll move "operations" into the house now... there is a problem with my coffee cup, so I need to go there to fix that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was viewing several Julie London vids and landed on this, which I've never seen before.   While I'm not a smoker, the propaganda is thick with this ad. I bet it sent many to pick up their first pack.  

• Like 6

Bruce, it sounds like you all really got hammered but glad everything is ok.  First thing on you shopping list a generator?  Gonna pick one up myself when this dies down.  Too much $$$ sittin there waiting on the lights to go out.  Gotta be ready for round 2 of this crap.  I'm loaded and still jammin it in there.  Hope things get back to normal for you all soon and we get outta this self quarantine.

Sooo, you're letting your coffee breath or trying to cool it down w/that long pour Chuck?  lol  Tennis courts?  Pfffft...  Chill and crank it w/the Jakester!  I got faith in ya man.  She'll be back when she's done.  She doesn't come back til the next morning then worry.   😂  😂  :)

grasshopper?  No words, but keep workin on that Bic.  The kid will figure things out on his own.  All you can do is watch and smirk.  Wife says go play some tunes in the shed?  Don't even question it.  Just go crank it.  Worry about it when she says it's too loud.  That's when you can have some fun w/her pushing her buttons to see just what she's made of.  😂

@Shiva  You're soooo right!  The moral of the story "real men carry Zippos" or that erotic way she knocked those ashes off w/her smoke?  Such a hot lil tease she was.  She pushed alllllll the buttons!  :)

Me?  Pathetically worthless again today.  Might have to go into Bobby Flay mode and throw down some spaghetti.  Gettin a hankerin for it but making a crockpot full of it kills the urge.  Would use up those mushrooms though.  Salad in the bag is outta date and lookin bad so that's out.  It'll sort.  Prolly have chips and salsa.  Yea, I'm pathetic but feelin it today.  Well maybe!  😂

So much for the incoherent babbling.  Think I'll go try a "long" pour on a refill.  I sooo love a challenge!  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1