Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Well you know when things just work as advertised it's almost surprising, well I like to tell people when something works well........ yea, your the people 

I have had a big problem with a flags in front of the house, I decide to make new poles better then the thin junk they sell so I did. But the problem I have always had was the flag wrapping around the pole, unwrap it and 30 minutes later it's wrapped again and looks terrible.

So after looking I thought to try these contraptions, they come in a couple sizes to fit different size poles and they work great.

Aluminum Metal 1.25” Silver Rotating Flag Mounting Rings 

I put them on the new poles before I put the two new poles up, maby a month ago and the flags have not become tangled once, they work perfect, better than I expected, I did add a little oil to the spinning part as they recommend. 

They look like this, there a few different style out there, all aluminum.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 5

Mornin' All

Wife is sleeping. All the antihistimines knocked her out. She's gonna be fine.  Next trip to the Dr is Thurs. Cataract surgery. We're looking forward to this.

Burned steaks on the grill last night. It was a late dinner, 8pm. Can't say the trip to the Dr put it late.... didn't really. It was warm out.  Could've brought the meat up to temp by setting it in the sun. Maybe with a little char.

thought Spotify was going to run normal. The whole page loaded. Not so. Hit the play... and it goes buffering. Not related to internet connection or speed.

I'll be chasing wilting plants this week. It's sposed to get as warm as it can. Prediction of 110`, well 109`, for later in the week. Think I'll be pulling the sprinkler into the yard. Won't green the grass, but will drop the temp 20`. That's how I cool the place.  Wet the lattice on the porch... and we have a primitive swamp box cooler.

• Like 5

Had to dash into the house. An empty cup and a few other things... check on the wife [look at her], close the place up and drop the shades on the NE quadrant. Passive cooling works pretty well here. The fact that it gets kinda cold at night helps a bunch.

We should start seeing an uptick in r/h.  Wouldn't know it by looking at the recent stats. R/H has been stupid low. Dew points in single digits. The dead of fire season. Watch when it starts trying to rain. All the wind and lightning of a real thunderstorm ..... just add water.

these are the dog days of our summer. too hot to get very ambitious. Break a sweat thinking about work. Soon as the rains start, people will come to life... like everything else out here. I swear people would drown in the rain from staring into the sky to see what it is. We get exciting about a cumulus cloud.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

look at the license plate on the GTO...

KY 29-0 

a sports message?

• Like 6

10 hours ago, dtel said:

instead of directions so long and complicated it seems impossible

I hate the instructions that assume you know something to start. If I knew that much, I wouldn't be asking for help....

I'm not familiar with the terminology to begin with. Instructions register in my brain as sounding like English... but no words I recognize.

I am reminded of the "Gearbox manual" on the pinsetters we worked on.  We cut a book on disassembly and replacement of major assemblies from a book to 3 pages, both sides, by assuming you knew something about the machines.

The book was like a computer program. Every nut and bolt.. when, and which direction to turn it. Screwdrivers listed as "+" and "--"....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I hate the instructions that assume you know something to start. If I knew that much, I wouldn't be asking for help....

I'm not familiar with the terminology to begin with.

So earlier I went to try again, found some long directions online which started with shut down the laptop. So I did, when it restarted it said it had updates and started to download them, it took a couple hours and restarting itself a few times.

I left it alone and moved on, try again maby tonight ? It's probably an easy fix but when your not sure of the one or two buttons/clicks to get it going it's a big deal. The good news is the one it might replace works fine, so I can always switch back. I think it's laughing at me.

Andertoons-Library-reference-question-cartoon-by-Mark-Anderson.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, dtel said:

I hate things like that, went through it yesterday for an hour and gave up, never tried again.

I will but it's a pain not knowing what to do. Trying a different laptop for music and I can not get the HDMI output to play the streaming music.  I know they do because the other one does it, the difference is a friend was here and he got it working. :emotion-55:

If computers are so smart why can't you type in what you want it and it would help, instead of directions so long and complicated it seems impossible ?

You're braver than I.  I don't even bother with anything digital musically.  It doesn't sound that great and the hassle isn't worth it to me.  Computer software is the worst nag of all.  "are you sure you want to do this?"  yes.  "Are you really sure?"  FFS, I said yes the first time.  

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Here ya go @dirtmudd

up first after all of this year would be:

Have one those at my fingertips should I desire to tug the trigger. 1965 389 Tri-power - not sure what I’d do with it other than the weekend cars shows and those can and have grown a bit stale. Or, just be boring and keep the 💵💵💵 close.

• Like 4

....after working machines, I know they are watching us. 

you know... that funny noise in the car that always disappears while it is in the mechanics hands.

i will clear cookies and browser history. Still gives me the willies... fear of losing passwords. I only have 3... not on many sites... e mail, here and spot...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, richieb said:

Have one those at my fingertips should I desire to tug the trigger. 1965 389 Tri-power - not sure what I’d do with it other than the weekend cars shows and those can and have grown a bit stale. Or, just be boring and keep the 💵💵💵 close.

Bring it down here to N ascar C ountry up to Kannapolis or over by the river here and get it balanced and blueprinted. Friends pop had one of those, he didn't get his license until he was 17 because he wanted to be sure he could drive it and not put a scratch on it. His dad told him if he did to keep on going and not come back if that happened. Ever driven or ridden in a `65? Incredible how tightly & FAST they drive for being a big ol boat. Only a 350 Vega felt faster!

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I'm not familiar with the terminology to begin with.

Exactly, so my almost 20 yo grandson says, so what's the problem you were talking about with the laptop. I told him, he fixed it in 5 minutes. 

I was trying to fix it in all the setting for sound and the HDMI output, which is what I was trying to get to work. He went into all the setting for the screen/video part and got it to work, I would have not checked the video section, to me it had nothing to do with the video part.

Guess I'm either to old or to computer dumb to do any more than basic things with a computer, well I proved it.

The sound is really good streaming through a HDMI connection, much better than through a headphone jack.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dtel said:

The sound is really good streaming through a HDMI connection, much better than through a headphone jack.

I use hdmi to an extractor that converts to optical then optical to my DAC.  The sound is amazing.

@dtel if your screen saver comes on your music will stop.  Set it to not turn off.

• Like 2