Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

10 hours ago, dtel said:

Was in South Beach Miami a couple years ago, they had a cool front and it was between 75 and 80 degrees, all the restaurants with outdoor seating had heat lamps going. It was funny, and all the locals had coats on, the tourist had t shirts and tank tops.  

It's just what your used to I guess.

I was on a holiday in the Bahamas years ago, in October, and wandered into a clothing store.  I was surprised to see down-filled ski jackets, so. I asked about them.  The clerk told me that winter was coming, of course.

I looked around and suddenly realized that I was the only person in sight in shorts and a T-shirt.  Everyone else had on long pants and long-sleeved shirts.  It’s all relative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/16/2020 at 11:49 AM, dirtmudd said:

When I was a kid living in Québec, there was an outdoor hockey game, when the temperature was around -20F.  One guy got a breakaway, and farted loudly.  The fart visibly hung in the air over the red line for a few seconds.  The few spectators there were surprised and amused.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

been there, done that... makes me shiver just thinking about it. We vacationed in the upper peninsula.

Lake Superior? Back in the day went hiking on Isle Royale. After a few days could not stand myself. Got to get wet and clean i thought. About 30 seconds in Lake Superior cured me of that idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, grasshopper said:
4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Lake Champlain is 200 feet from my house ,  it's iced up right now , but some people dig a hole through the ice and they take a dip every day , it's supposed to be really good for the circulation -

sure it is   

not

It would affect my circulation, it would circulate me into the dead category.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Moderators
7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

like us not swimming during the winter on Kauai... too cold and the water was only 75`.

as a kid, we used to swim in Lake Michigan and considered it warm if the water was 60`

One thing that surprised me was the water temp in the Caribbean, it can be from 75 to the mid or high 80's in the summer, but we always went in the winter months, non hurricane months.

But when it's hot on land those temps feel cold, at first, nice once your in. I have to go about up to my knee's and just jump in, I can't just go in slowly.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Lake Superior?

Been all over that lake ... including right smack in the middle of it ... during the winter. Spoiler Alert:  there was a lot of ice. 

Nothing like going through the Soo Locks at 3 am during the dead of winter and my job was outside on deck. But breaking out the Son was the job, and we did it. 

9 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Lake Champlain is 200 feet from my house ,  it's iced up right now , but some people dig a hole through the ice and they take a dip every day , it's supposed to be really good for the circulation -

tell that to Champ... I think they want to be bait ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dtel said:

One thing that surprised me was the water temp in the Caribbean, it can be from 75 to the mid or high 80's in the summer, but we always went in the winter months, non hurricane months.

But when it's hot on land those temps feel cold, at first, nice once your in. I have to go about up to my knee's and just jump in, I can't just go in slowly.

In Jamaica, I found that the water was noticeably warmer on the south side of the island.  Snorkelling off Ocho Rios, on the north side, I needed a T-shirt with my trunks to be warm enough, while off Negril on the south side, I could snorkel far offshore comfortably in just trunks (and fins, mask and snorkel, of course).

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Elden,

Could you please tell Sir David Attenborough the proper pronunciation of orangutan?

Being from New Orleans I have no rite to correct anyone on pronunciation, but he really messes that up. But on the other side I will never be hired to be the voice on anything.

But your right when he said it I almost missed it he was so far off.  

Cool video, I had no idea we were that smart, I need to tighten up apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Islander said:

In Jamaica, I found that the water was noticeably warmer on the south side of the island.  Snorkelling off Ocho Rios, on the north side, I needed a T-shirt with my trunks to be warm enough, while off Negril on the south side, I could snorkel far offshore comfortably in just trunks (and fins, mask and snorkel, of course).

We have only been on the North side so I had no idea. I would have thought the opposite, only because the North side has much deeper water with the Cayman trench. 

cayman-map-photo-region-3D-.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, RandyH000 said:

this ourangutan can use a computer

Well at the rate he is going he will pass me up before long, if he hasn't already.

I had no idea they were that smart, both videos are kind of shocking, they seem smarter them some humans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

We have only been on the North side so I had no idea. I would have thought the opposite, only because the North side has much deeper water with the Cayman trench. 

cayman-map-photo-region-3D-.jpg

The Trench could be the reason.  The deeper water would be colder, while the shallower water on the south side stays warmer.