Recommended sub for LaScala Trios

Youthman

• Moderators

Just had my third LaScala delivered two days ago. My plan is to redesign my front wall using maybe a 150" AT Screen. Below is a rough sketchup Wakejunkie drew up for me as he will be helping me build it.

I love the RSW-15 but when I get ready to take it up a few notches, what sub would you recommend that would fit behind the false wall? I've looked at the Danley DTS20 as it would fit nicely between a pair of the LaScalas and then my audio equipment could go between the other pair of LaScalas.

My room is 13' wide and the LaScalas are 24.5" deep so I will likely have around 30" deep to work with. Ceilings are 10'

Home-Theater-Redesign1.jpeg

Klipsch-Lascala-Trio-Behind-AT-Screen1.j

Klipsch-Lascala-Trio-Behind-AT-Screen2.j

Here are the LaScala Trios next to the RF-83's.

Klipsch-LaScala-vs-RF-83-1.jpeg

• Moderators

Don't have the room for a DTS10 or a THT, that's why I mentioned a DTS20 or a pair of them.

My room is 13' wide so that's 156". Subtract (3) LaScalas and I'm left with 41.25" between the center and side LaScala. Guessing I'll have about 7' - 8' of height due to the top shelves / cabinets being installed.

How about the THSPUDs... I have heard of people putting them under a second row or on the side walls. I have the SUPERSPUDs, and I have one under my 2nd row and the other one will be behind my AT screen when the HT is done. I can't tell you how they sound with the La Scalas but I have been told they are a great match. On the SUPERSPUDs, I was told there are 2 versions... 1 that allows you to fire out the end (like the DTS20, and the other is out the side (which is the one I have). In your situation I think the one that fires out the end like the DTS20 is best for going behind the screen where as either one could be used under a platform

One good size THT will do it.

Lay it on top of the mains or suspend it above your speakers firing into the wall to the right or left.

You could do 2 but probably won't need it.

Either version would fit, standard or long style.

You could go with your original plan and place a dts 10 or maybe a thtLP (firing downwards) between the la scalas. Are you planning on building the SUB or buying it built? Someone was selling a dts20 on craigslist in tampe area not to long ago.

Alex

Lay it on top of the mains or suspend it above your speakers firing into the wall to the right or left.

+1. A Cinema F-20 would work as well. Raising the La Scalas might actually sound better as well since it gets the tweeters up to ear level.

+1. A Cinema F-20 would work as well. Raising the La Scalas might actually sound better as well since it gets the tweeters up to ear level.

x2

I raised my la scalas and it was a improvement. You are probably going to have to play with this and see what sounds better.

Edited by alexg5775

Don't have the room for a DTS10 or a THT, that's why I mentioned a DTS20 or a pair of them.

My room is 13' wide so that's 156". Subtract (3) LaScalas and I'm left with 41.25" between the center and side LaScala. Guessing I'll have about 7' - 8' of height due to the top shelves / cabinets being installed.

There is a low profile THT that might fit. or a SubMaximus -- info located on the AVSForum

I thought sub placement was somewhat room dependent and could cause some nasty nodes............I will guess that some avr can adjust for this with delay, volume, phase etc...

Will the subs be for theater only or music as well ? Theater subs don't always work well as music subs

Joe

x2

I raised my la scalas and it was a improvement. You are probably going to have to play with this and see what sounds better.

His picture shows them raised, and I think the platforms might as well be a pair of DTS-10's or F20's. Furthermore, the rear seats are on a platform, which could be used for the 3rd and 4th DTS-10 or F20.

:D

• Moderators

:emotion-21:

Lots of good advice so I won't roil the waters further. All are DIY Michael, you need to get your hands dirty and make some saw dust. Subwoofers just sound better if you make them yourself ;)

:emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21:

The only thing I might add is I would not put the port/opening of the sub pointing toward the screen, wouldn't want a wavy screen during loud bass parts.

Never had a screen for a projector but have seen subs that move a lot of air.

• Like 2

:emotion-21:

Lots of good advice so I won't roil the waters further. All are DIY Michael, you need to get your hands dirty and make some saw dust. Subwoofers just sound better if you make them yourself ;)

:emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21:

The only thing I might add is I would not put the port/opening of the sub pointing toward the screen, wouldn't want a wavy screen during loud bass parts.

Never had a screen for a projector but have seen subs that move a lot of air.

Danley BC415 Hairdry

Edited by mustang guy

• Moderators

Lots of great advice guys. I definitely would not want to place the port near the screen. It would have to go low.

I just contacted the local Danley rep and we are discussing the possibility of me redesigning his website in exchange for a sub.

He quoted me the following:

DTS10 - $4995 Powered

THSPUD - $4250 Powered, $2375 Non-Powered

DTS20 - $4995 Powered

Honestly, they are WAY more than I would ever want to spend on a sub.

Even if the DIY was $1500, that would still be way above what I want to spend. Really hoping we can work out a barter deal.

I would redesign his logo, design and print custom business cards, redesign his website and provide free hosting for life if he is willing to trade a sub for my design services. :D