SE Michigan flooding.......

bhenry

Haven't posted in awhile.......

So after many years of dreaming about having a finished basement I was able to buy a house and finish the basement and set my stereo up in a nice family friendly environment.

We were able to enjoy it for two years until the whole basement flooded yesterday.

I lost two RSW15's, two RF7's, two RF3's and possibly a B&K Reference 200.5 amp.

I know it's just stuff and doesn't mean a whole lot but I spent years (and gobs of money) building that system and had plans on keeping it for ever.

-Sad Guy in Royal Oak.

• Like 2

So after many years of dreaming about having a finished basement I was able to buy a house and finish the basement and set my stereo up in a nice family friendly environment.

We were able to enjoy it for two years until the whole basement flooded yesterday.

I lost two RSW15's, two RF7's, two RF3's and possibly a B&K Reference 200.5 amp.

I know it's just stuff and doesn't mean a whole lot but I spent years (and gobs of money) building that system and had plans on keeping it for ever.

-Sad Guy in Royal Oak.

Deepest sincere blessings. I just had dinner with my fiance' family who have a couple thousand acres of corn in Breckinridge. The storm just slid by them. However there are crops due east of them that have been lost. What a disaster.

Crazy things going on. From the drought to floods in Las Vegas Nevada then the same in California. The average of minds would not take much to understand the bipolar outcome and fact this is got to be far from what we find to be normal considering the devastation.

Prayers for you! Gives me aches just hearing your pain. I hope you reclaim your audio in due time and the basement turns for the best hereafter.

• Like 1

bhenry,

What a shame. You are taking it much better than I think I could. I grew up in Royal Oak. The basement of my parents house never flooded but I knew friends and neighbors that did. Is that just the luck of the draw? I hope all is well with your family. Best regards.

Eric

I just got back from Florida installing my 4 THX ultra-subs into a friend’s house. He used to have 4 Belles across his front sound stage (not sure why he had 4 but that’s another story for another day) He had 3 of them stolen and one just dropped and damaged apparently the thieves couldn’t fit the last one so they just left it at his house after dropping it on the floor and damaging the wood. Annnny way. He was able to get a nice chunk of insurance money from his stolen property and purchased this…. I hope you are able to do the very same thing and build a new nice system to enjoy at the loss of some very nice speakers you had. My condolences… I attached photos of the belles and the after purchased gear with the insurance money. Hopefully this will yield a good result for your family.

post-52289-0-46060000-1407872590_thumb.j

post-52289-0-09500000-1407872799_thumb.j

Regular home insurance will not cover any damage caused by ground water. Been there. You need to purchase flood insurance and it is a PITA as I had to go to the local municipal building locally where they determine your geographical location. I live in a flood plain - ggreeeeaaaattt. To make matters worse I have flood insurance and I had to go through the government to get it. We got flooded this past April 5 feet plus of water in the basement. While I have over $30K of coverage they would only cover washer, dryer, and chest freezer. If I had left them down there my window A/C's and dehumidifier. We brought up as much we could but there was work benches, shelving units, computer desk, etc. Strange that they are selective on what they will cover when I purchased $30K of coverage. Of course the customary depreciation and $500 deductible.

I wish you the best of luck and hope things work out. I had to have people haul up mud and debris in 5 gallon pails for days while we were displaced. Heating unit submerged so no hot water. Flooding sucks!

Regular home insurance will not cover any damage caused by ground water. Been there. You need to purchase flood insurance and it is a PITA as I had to go to the local municipal building locally where they determine your geographical location. I live in a flood plain - ggreeeeaaaattt. To make matters worse I have flood insurance and I had to go through the government to get it. We got flooded this past April 5 feet plus of water in the basement. While I have over $30K of coverage they would only cover washer, dryer, and chest freezer. If I had left them down there my window A/C's and dehumidifier. We brought up as much we could but there was work benches, shelving units, computer desk, etc. Strange that they are selective on what they will cover when I purchased $30K of coverage. Of course the customary depreciation and $500 deductible.

I wish you the best of luck and hope things work out. I had to have people haul up mud and debris in 5 gallon pails for days while we were displaced. Heating unit submerged so no hot water. Flooding sucks!

My renters insurance covers all water xept plugged drains, toilets or plumbing...Its the same policy i had with my mortgages at least my last house...it flooded right before being robbed...

My thoughts are with you bhenry!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well that just sucks.

But glad that's all the damage, it could have been much worse, and everyone it OK. Try to get it cleaned out as soon as possible If not the next step does harm people, mold, it is not nice. We found out after working around it a lot a few year ago. You don't notice what it doing until weeks later, starting with respiratory problems.

My wife still has problems and it was over 7 years ago.

Edited by dtel

bhenry,

What a shame. You are taking it much better than I think I could. I grew up in Royal Oak. The basement of my parents house never flooded but I knew friends and neighbors that did. Is that just the luck of the draw? I hope all is well with your family. Best regards.

Eric

I see you got more rain than in the past 100 years or something like that. So maybe my parent's ex house IS flooded now.

I can appreciate that, and can relate with you. Our storage unit flooded out last winter up in Wisconsin, we had everything in it as we were in the process of moving cross-country. We lost all of our furniture, a significant amount of clothing, and other important belongings. The only thing that saved my La Scala speaker cabinets was that I went overboard on packaging them for long-term storage. It totally sucked seeing the damage, and sucked even worse having to pick through everything to identify what we had lost. :( Sorry to hear.

Thanks for the kind words, I knew everyone here would understand my pain!

Yes, the most rain in almost 100 years.

Sadly, if you don't live in a flood plain (which we don't) then you aren't able to even get flood insurance. Plus, the insurance only covers the structure in a water damage like this-not contents. They would pay to replace a furnace, humidifier, washer and dryer. "Items typically found in a basement.", said our insurance agent.

We are lucky because we will get some money to repair the damage (again, nothing for contents) I know a lot of people that were told $0 because they didn't have the proper coverage.

Now.........do I replace my stereo equipment put it towards the Shelby GT500 my wife doesn't know I'm buying? Decisions, decisions.

Oh, and then as I'm going through the wet stuff and I find all of my SVT (Ford Special Vehicle Team) posters that I had been saving in protective tubes for the last 20 years.........gone.

The boxes and receipts from a Breitling Navitimer that my wife bought me for our 10 year anniversary and a Ball Trainmaster watch........gone.

I kept asking my wife why all of my stuff was on the floor and her stuff was all undamaged ;).

I'm an electrical contractor so I've also been going to other peoples homes and seeing their damage. It could have so much worse.

-Sad Guy in Royal Oak.

Brett-

How sorry I am to hear this.

We were fortunate; many were not. Today, as I drove around Royal Oak, Clawson, Birmingham, etc., I observed house after house had piles of flood water damaged goods piled at the curb.

Give me a call over the weekend. I'll be convalescing after getting right knee scoped on Friday. I'll try to cheer you up.