Dead receiver?

Chad

• Administrators

So, I bought a Marantz SR8001 from fellow forum member darylomer12, and it arrived today at my desk @ Klipsch.

I got the receiver today. I put it on my desk for a couple hours, then decided to make sure it would power on. So I just plugged in the power (and nothing else), and saw the standby light. Hit the power switch, and heard two clicks from inside, about 3 seconds apart. Nothing on the front display, and no standby light. Subsequent power button tries yielded no results. So I unplugged it for about 10 minutes, and plugged it back in. No standby light, and no power. 

So, I took it to our electrical engineers here and we took the case cover off and looked at the internal fuses as best we could without dismantling everything, and the fuses look fine.

I'll try again later when I get home. Nothing in the packaging looked amiss, and Daryl did a great job of packaging. 

Maybe the internal protection tripped and I have to wait a couple hours or so for the capacitors to discharge. Maybe that's it. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else have any insight?

Chad,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Nothing in the packaging looked amiss, and Daryl did a great job of packaging. 

That does not surprise me at all.  Daryl is a packing fool. :emotion-21:  

Maybe the internal protection tripped and I have to wait a couple hours or so for the capacitors to discharge. Maybe that's it. Fingers crossed.

Let's hope it is something minor.

Anyone else have any insight?

No insight to the problem but I know one thing for sure, Daryl would never knowingly sell anyone gear that is not exactly as described.

I am sure you have already come to that conclusion during your correspondence with him.

Good luck,

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Could have been dropped?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. somewhere along the journey.

Everything gets dropped and tossed. Its not a matter of "if" any more, its a matter of how far it fell or how far it was pitched into a truck.  (My office used to be by UPS loading outlet :) )

BTW. Hit the top lightly with some compressed air, all it takes is a single, short strand of speaker wire on a board or shorting to throw things in a tizzy.  Also check the tape wires going to the boards for one slightly coming unhooked.   Check for shifting of any components.  All it would take would be a strong shock to the unit, to cause an alignment issue or something similar.

Edited by Max2

• Administrators

The thing is, how can they prove that it was, if the packaging is great and all? Also, I'm not doubting Daryl's honesty at all, based on what everyone has said about his past sales and his correspondence with me. Just to make that clear.

The thing is, how can they prove that it was, if the packaging is great and all? Also, I'm not doubting Daryl's honesty at all, based on what everyone has said about his past sales and his correspondence with me. Just to make that clear.

Shipping insurance is a PIA process...... and damn near worthless......that's all Im saying

Pick you up a cheap magnifying glass on the way home, take your time and look everything over.  It worked when it left, so it must be something that physically happened to it, which would be a good thing and an easy fix if you can find the culprit. I don't see a power supply or something like that failing from a shipping mishap.  Give it a good look over before you send it to someone else for repair. Hopefully its something simple.  Check Binding posts for a stray wire shorting on the cabinet and like I said before, look for a stray piece of speaker wire on top of the boards and components. The vented enclosures catch everything and nobody feels a tiny piece of broken copper wire  fall from a just unhooked speaker wire as they unplug it and stand over the unit.  Crossing my fingers for you

Edited by Max2

Also, I'm not doubting Daryl's honesty at all, based on what everyone has said about his past sales and his correspondence with me. Just to make that clear.

Chad,

I by no means was implying that.  Your tone was(and is) clearly non accusing.  Sorry if my mentioning Daryl's integrity was misinterpreted.

Either way, get in touch with Daryl and see if he has any leeway with the shipping company or is able to trouble shoot the problem.

Bill

• Administrators

Did you try after hooking up speakers? Maybe I am an optimist, but it may not like this excessive humidity and may want to acclimate to some dryer air. Good luck!

Not yet. Haven't been home and didn't get a chance to before I left work. It set it out open on my desk for a few hours before I tried to power it up. I'll probably leave it out in my house overnight before I try anything again, although I fear the damage is done.

I hate it when that happens. I try my best to deliver what I state but no control over the apes. I sent a piece of equipment in minty condition to a forum member and it arrived slightly damaged but still functional. Try as I might to refund he accepted as is but I still feel bad about the transaction.

Things will turn out good for you!

• Administrators

Well after I got home, and let it sit out for a while, I tried again. This time I hooked a speaker up to it. No dice. Didn't think that would matter since there isn't even a standby light now anyway. I'm really bummed.