Suggestions on how to remove coconut oil from glass

tube fanatic

I inadvertently got coconut oil on my car windows (don't even ask how it happened- I'm too embarrassed to go into it!!! :wacko:).  So far, I haven't found anything that will get it off.  Have tried vinegar, dishwashing soap, car wash soap, wiping with cloth/paper towels/newspaper, citrus cleaner and so on.  The oil just smears and streaks even more.  I'd like to avoid using any hydrocarbon solvents if at all possible, so any suggestions will be appreciated!

Maynard

Yet another great use for WD40 is sticker removal, and sometimes this kind of thing, yes it is a hydrocarbon based solvent and you would be swapping one for the other, but windex cuts WD40 no problem.

We really must how you managed to do this, unless of course sex was involved :unsure:

Edited by minermark

We really must how you managed to do this, unless of course sex was involved :unsure:

Wish I could say it was related to that!!!  I use coconut oil on dry wood in lieu of paste wax as it works even better and has very long persistence.  Unfortunately, the rag  looks identical to my car window rags and got mixed in with them.  Obviously, going through the washing machine didn't take care of the oil that got absorbed into the material.  When the sun hits the windshield it almost turns opaque!!!  Will try some of the suggestions above.  Guess I can always resort to brake cleaner if all else fails, but I don't like to use perc if I can possibly avoid it.  So, now you know the "sad" story............

Maynard

• Like 1

Wish I could say it was related to that!!!  I use coconut oil on dry wood in lieu of paste wax as it works even better and has very long persistence.  Unfortunately, the rag  looks identical to my car window rags and got mixed in with them.  Obviously, going through the washing machine didn't take care of the oil that got absorbed into the material.  When the sun hits the windshield it almost turns opaque!!!  Will try some of the suggestions above.  Guess I can always resort to brake cleaner if all else fails, but I don't like to use perc if I can possibly avoid it.  So, now you know the "sad" story............

Maynard

I have had "The mixed in rag" at one time in my life also, so since then i buy a boat load of good quality rags, and if i use one on oil based i throw them away, cost is nothing compared to damage done.

Wife never says a thing because dammit, im worth a good quality Rag. if not much else in life.

Edited by minermark

Fyi... wd40 is a solvent.

Bestine is MUCH more effective. And it's generally gentle because it is used primarily on art work.

"yes it is a hydrocarbon based solvent" i said that. Wd can handle some interesting chores, then you simply use windex/simple green the get the WD, piece of cake.  

• Like 2

Yet another great use for WD40 is sticker removal, and sometimes this kind of thing, yes it is a hydrocarbon based solvent and you would be swapping one for the other, but windex cuts WD40 no problem.

Some trivia.....Water Displcement-40th try.....WD-40 :-)
  • Like 1

I inadvertently got coconut oil on my car windows (don't even ask how it happened- I'm too embarrassed to go into it!!! :wacko:).  So far, I haven't found anything that will get it off.  Have tried vinegar, dishwashing soap, car wash soap, wiping with cloth/paper towels/newspaper, citrus cleaner and so on.  The oil just smears and streaks even more.  I'd like to avoid using any hydrocarbon solvents if at all possible, so any suggestions will be appreciated!

Maynard

I had a window on jeep that needed lube.  In my ignorance I sprayed motorcycle chain lube with window rolled down.  I could not find any cleaner that would cut it.  It tool a lot of dirt roads with a lot of dust before I could get it clean.

The dust would coat  the window, and I could wash the dirt off and a little of the chain oil after each time I covered the jeep with dirt.  It did finally come clean.

Maybe if you used some type of powder like flour and rubbed it gentle into the oil covering the window, then washed it off until all the coconut oil is removed.

Next time keep her on the hood, or invite her in.    :emotion-14: 

I once had a big truck blow some diesel into the air all over my windshield.  It was gummy and the only thing that got rid of it was time, and a lot of rainstorms.

If this is your front windshield, bear in mind the oil is now imbedded in your windshield wipers as well, make sure to replace them.