grills on vs grills off

Gas0line

Any thoughts? I have mine on for dust and cat. Any noticeable difference with the grills off? Rollin with the RF82 IIs. I may test them with the grills off, but dont want my cat to scratch the drivers.I do take them off to show people and jaws drop. They are one sexy speaker with the grills off.

Edited by Gas0line

• Moderators

I prefer mine naked but wife says no way (for the living room) so I keep the grills on.  If you have animals or young children, I'd say leave them on for protection.  Then for those times that it's just you and your speakers, remove the grills to enjoy their beauty as well as their audio sweetness.

To my ears, there is no audible difference between the two.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that most audiophiles will keep the grills off to minimize any disruption in the paths from the drivers to their ears, but just between me and you, I'd bet good money that they wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test. 

It's mostly a matter of whether you want a bright shiny gold driver showing or a blacked out more refined look.  I was kind of surprised when my wife recently just said she didn't know why anybody would pay good money for some badass gold speakers then cover them up.  :) 

• Moderators
I was kind of surprised when my wife recently just said she didn't know why anybody would pay good money for some badass gold speakers then cover them up. :)

Can you have your wife call and talk to my wife? :P:D

I agree with you....I don't think anyone could physically hear the difference.  It's more for protecting the drivers from children, pets etc and keeping the wife happy.

I was kind of surprised when my wife recently just said she didn't know why anybody would pay good money for some badass gold speakers then cover them up.  :)

:emotion-55:   I'm going to take my LaScalas apart today & paint the woofers gold.  I'll report back any changes in my wifes attitude.  :huh:

• Like 3

Mine are all on but I revised them (1965 years)  to mimic the newer Klipsch system of spacing them away from the surface board about 1/2 inch with rubber spacers. This maintains a huge air pressure relief gap just in case any builds up. It works physcological miracles for me.

JJK