"Gravity", Late To The Party

willland

I just saw "Gravity" on blu-ray and I am speechless.

Not only was this movie an incredible story, everything else about it was unbelievable.  From the soundtrack to the video quality.

Now this is not a plasma vs LED-LCD, OLED, vs 4K thread but I can't believe that the video quality could considerably surpass what I just experienced on my Samsung PN59D6500 59" TV.

The contrast was ridiculous and the colors had to be the most accurate I have seen on my TV.

Now this thread is not about my TV, it is really about one of the finest movies(story, video, sound) I have seen in a long time.

Did I mention the sound? ;)  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  I know this thread for the most part is exclaiming the video quality, but the audio quality is equally superb.  I have never had a movie make my 105lbs Revel B15 walk across the floor the way this movie did.  And I have very tacky furniture feet under the sub's feet so it does not scuttle across the ceramic tile. :D

Bill

Edited by willland

Not only was this movie an incredible story, everything else about it was unbelievable.

Up to there, I was thinking the same as you...

The story is incredible, as in impossible to believe.  The guy played by Clooney had basically stopped moving, yet he unties himself and it's like there's 'gravity' to pull him away.  Made no sense.  And then the impossible jumps, one after the other...

The images were eye candy, but the story?

Ah well...

Edited by psg
  • Like 1

Yeah I thought it was pretty dumb to be honest. :) From Sandra Bullock's moaning in such a way that she would know which way is up, to George's trademark demeanor even in this ridiculous situation, to the absurdity of finding a perfectly operational yet unmanned space station just conveniently hanging out, the whole thing was ill conceived.

• Like 2

Come on guys, it's a movie.  Fiction.  Make believe.  Contrived. :o  :D

Forget about the story line, the main reason for the original post is mostly about the colors.  Very realistic and accurate on my plasma TV.

Bill

Edited by willland

Not only was this movie an incredible story, everything else about it was unbelievable.  From the soundtrack to the video quality.

Now this is not a plasma vs LED-LCD, OLED, vs 4K thread but I can't believe that the video quality could considerably surpass what I just experienced on my Samsung PN59D6500 59" TV.

The contrast was ridiculous and the colors had to be the most accurate I have seen on my TV.

Now this thread is not about my TV, it is really about one of the finest movies(story, video, sound) I have seen in a long time.

Did I mention the sound? ;)  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  I know this thread for the most part is exclaiming the video quality, but the audio quality is equally superb.  I have never had a movie make my 105lbs Revel B15 walk across the floor the way this movie did.  And I have very tacky furniture feet under the sub's feet so it does not scuttle across the ceramic tile. :D

Bill

If you think that was good. See it on a big projector screen in 3d. The 3d is so good in that movie its really intense. 

Come on guys, it's a movie.  Fiction.  Make believe.  Contrived. :o  :D

Forget about the story line, the main reason for the original post is mostly about the colors.  Very realistic and accurate on my plasma TV.

Bill

Agreed. If I watched only movies with things that could happen I would be pretty board. Seeing things we never see in real life is the point to this kind of movie. If the time is spent breaking down what could or could not happen in the movie then you probably missed the whole movie. Its called syfy for a reason. Now the question is why is someone that doesn't like syfy watching this move? 

Edited by Pro-Cinema_Head

the question is why is someone that doesn't like syfy watching this move?

Just because it happened in space doesn't make it good science fiction. :) Good science fiction is at least somewhat intelligent and geeky. This just wasn't. I don't consider it science fiction at all really but I guess technically it fits the definition.

For some reason older people really liked it. It did really well at the box office due to the 50-60 somethings showing up in droves, probably because they were alive during the moon landings and whatnot.