10, 12, 14, 16 guage speaker wire

AaronH

I prefer to use 8.5mm with an MSD 7AL Box!

But no, really, I have silver plated 10 gauge copper and there is absolutely no audible difference! They are selling snake oil!

If I buy a cheap amp with cheap internal parts, do you think it would sound any better with gold plated terminal???

You need to look at a woofer voice coil and realize, really.....really??? How big a wire do I actually need to carry enough power to melt that thing???

Roger

• Like 1

folks don't normally choose gauge for sonic reasons... distance and resistance.

I've heard of guys using 10 gauge for absolutely everything, even very short distances, but that don't mean it helps anything.

Any time anybody thinks that electrical current works like a water hose and a small wire is choking off the flow, pick up a massive 2,000 watt subwoofer and look at the size of the wire from the terminal to the voice coil. :)

folks don't normally choose gauge for sonic reasons... distance and resistance.

I've heard of guys using 10 gauge for absolutely everything, even very short distances, but that don't mean it helps anything.

Any time anybody thinks that electrical current works like a water hose and a small wire is choking off the flow, pick up a massive 2,000 watt subwoofer and look at the size of the wire from the terminal to the voice coil. :)

2000 watts calls for a heavier gauge wire, the right gauge depends on length of the run.

I only use one gauge of wire... because I bought one big spool of wire. I will probably NEVER use all of it, but I have it in case I need it. I think it's 10 or 12... I forget.

edit: 250' spool of 12 gauge.

Edited by Schu

Back in the early 90's in high school I used to get free industrial scrap, so basically when I started playing with car audio I had things going on like my RCA cables being made out of token ring networking cable that was going to be thrown away. Well, my power cables were 00 gauge welding cable, and my speaker wire was 8 gauge in some instances, which was especially dumb since it wasn't stranded. It was a bit overkill, but, it was free. :)

I use 12 ga, for no good reason really except I think 12 is better than 14, 14 is better than 16, 16 is better than..., well you get the idea; I don't have a clue:lol:

27891.jpg

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2789&seq=1&format=2

Is there an audible difference?  I haven't spent any significant time A/B'ing them, but there is none that that I can hear.  I terminate everything I can with banana plugs, just as a personal preference.

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

Totally agree with everyone.  No audible difference between them.  Longer runs are when you need to increase the gauge wire.  Believe my wires are 14 gauge.  With Monoprice, even 12 gauge is cheap.

My monster cable also turned green many years ago.  I'd throw it away and replace it.

green/oxidizing wiring gives me nightmares...

imagine the horror from childhood when you went to turn on your favorite battery operated toy only to find it smeared with gooey leaky green acid.

Edited by Schu