Guesses on Klipsch's "Biggest Launch in Years" at CES on 01-06-15

Youthman

Likes others have said, it looks like this new Reference Premier is a move in the right direction, making some of Klipsch higher tier products more accessible to the masses which is awesome. Though I will also say I share a longing to see what might replace the RF-7 II slot, not that I will unload my 7 II's anytime soon, but the geeky speaker loving kid in me wants to know! Maybe sometime down the road this year  ;)

• Administrators

That segues nicely...

Perhaps it's a lot to ask, but a bit more emphasis on how they sound rather than how they look (on the forums, that is) might be a fairer assessment of "biggest launch"...right?

:rolleyes:

Changes in the horn shape and their surface treatments might be a bigger deal than you might otherwise imagine...acoustically.

Chris

Exactly. It's unfortunate that it is near impossible to convey that on a web site's product page. We're trying as hard as we can though.  :)

Hence the chart on the CES page:

post-1-0-54140000-1420492806_thumb.png

Klipsch press release:

https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5c...9608308000.pdf

(snip)

Klipsch Debuts Flagship Reference Premiere Speakers at CES 2015

Reference Premiere speakers cover U.S. MSRP price points ranging from $800 to $1,350 for a pair

of floorstanding speakers, $500 to $600 for a pair of monitors, $450 to $650 for a center channel,

and $325 to $450 each for surrounds.

That's a very very very competitive market right there (especially with surrounds that cost more than some of your floor-standers). 

Companies in this price point include Andrew Jones/Pioneer, Wharfedale Diamond, Magnepan, and Definitive Technology. That's a hard row to hoe right there. I hope they sound better than the previous Reference series to consumers, because if they don't - even with the tech innovations, the Reference line may have taken a step backwards were relevance is concerned. 

The whole Wi-Fi craze is really one of convenience (such as streaming vs BD), if this is the marketing ploy...yes they will sell a whole lot of speakers (hold on to your RF-7II's they just might achieve a cult type following like the Heritage series). It's good to see them get into the Atmos game - but at what cost and who is the target consumer for Atmos right now?  

This will tell us a lot about the direction Klipsch will be going in. Palladium, Heritage....are plans being made there? If not - that may just be the plan. The jury is still out, but money will be made from somewhere. 

• Like 1

The engineers that produced these loudspeakers typically get a few hours of listening after the dust has settled in order to do final "salt and pepper" adjustments. 

Perhaps those engineers and other taste testers will chime in here with their listening impressions--if there is a inviting and open-minded audience.

Think "Great Pumpkin" thoughts...like Linus did. :)

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hey, it's not for everybody. We respect that. We aren't pretending that you guys with La Scalas or Khorns would ebay those tomorrow and pre-order the Reference Premieres in their place. It's cool. 

Then again, Khorns and La Scalas aren't for everybody either. That's why we sell both!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Chad, can you comment on the status of this line being produced in the U.S.?  Are any of them on the line for such a move?

Designed and engineered in the U.S.

We would love to bring more of our mfg back to the States. I keep hearing that sentence around the office. I hope it happens one day, but I have no other info at this time. 

• Like 1

Hey, it's not for everybody. We respect that. We aren't pretending that you guys with La Scalas or Khorns would ebay those tomorrow and pre-order the Reference Premieres in their place. It's cool. 

Then again, Khorns and La Scalas aren't for everybody either. That's why we sell both!

All valid points HOWEVER this line wasn't what I had imagined when promised Klipsch's  "Biggest Launch in Years!"

What was up with that "riddle" anyways?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well said.  If Klipsch only catered to the Heritage, they would quickly go out of business.

All valid points HOWEVER this line wasn't what I had imagined when promised Klipsch's  "Biggest Launch in Years!"

I was thinking the same. There was talk about getting back to our (Klipsch's) roots. That's not what I see when I see updated HT speakers. If they don't blow away my Forte IIs that have been around for a few decades then I just don't get it.

I'm not dissing the product, I'm sure it's a great move for Klipsch, just not what I was expecting from all the talk. Maybe my prediction of Forte 3s is waiting till tomorrow  ^_^

We have to remember, they must hype up the marketing, that's how you sell your products. I'm sure they're trying hard to capture new clients, and reminding others that know about Klipsch, to check out these new speakers. "The Biggest Launch in Years" is probably aimed at gathering new people, and reminding some that heard of Klipsch about their new line, and keeping the name relevant. 

I hope this launch does well, I think it will. I also think it would be tough to impress some around here.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Someone posted these on the Klipsch Facebook Page under the Teaser Video.

I've made my fair share of Photoshopped Klipsch speakers but the lighting on these don't give me the impression they have been Photoshopped.  Are these legit?  Maybe European model?  Or is someone just much better than I at Photoshop?

The mystery is solved.  It is a custom build by the owner.  :)

post-25073-0-33940000-1420497856_thumb.j

• Like 1

I was thinking the same. There was talk about getting back to our (Klipsch's) roots. That's not what I see when I see updated HT speakers. If they don't blow away my Forte IIs that have been around for a few decades then I just don't get it.

I'm not dissing the product, I'm sure it's a great move for Klipsch, just not what I was expecting from all the talk. Maybe my prediction of Forte 3s is waiting till tomorrow  ^_^

I was thinking the same thing. When you read that they are getting back to their roots you would never think of an updated reference ii line as getting back to their roots  :blink:

And Im not saying I don't like these speakers. Im sure they sound every bit as good or better than the ref2 line.  What I am saying is that this is not what was advertised to us up to this point in everything that was being said and quoted. And I'm sure everyone on here is wondering the same thing. Its confusing. 

Edited by Cinema_head

That segues nicely...

Perhaps it's a lot to ask, but a bit more emphasis on how they sound rather than how they look (on the forums, that is) might be a fairer assessment of "biggest launch"...right?

:rolleyes:

Changes in the horn shape and their surface treatments might be a bigger deal than you might otherwise imagine...acoustically.

Chris

The material the new horn is made of being described as:

"Redesigned Tractrix Horn utilizes a circular horn throat paired to a square horn mouth to further improve high-frequency response and extension, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The compressed molded rubber construction adds high frequency damping to reduce harshness and improve detail. This creates the cleanest, most natural sound possible."

I love it!  Klipsch is definitely a leader in horn technology. 

I wonder how effective the Tractrix port flare is. They described it as the "fastest air transfer from the cabinet". When I design bass bins, I look at reducing the air velocity so as to reduce chuffing noises. This statement confuses me... Perhaps it means less turbulence.

There is no mention of a crossover, so I wonder if there have been improvements. Historically, Klipsch has tried to improve networks with newer models. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

We don't like to clutter up the web site with tons of text ("just the facts, ma'am")

But here's some more technical info directly from our internal technical training doc regarding the horn:

HYBRID GEOMETRY

A circular horn throat transitioning into a 90x90 square horn mouth allows for the most efficient, cleanest transition of the soundwave into the listening space.

This new Hybrid Tractrix horn design in combination with the new phase plug/titanium tweeter brings an exceptionally consistent, textbook power response and expanded 90x90 pattern, resulting in soundstaging that breathes with the life of the musical performance. The precision placement of instruments on the stage is remarkable, and when this is delivered with trademark Klipsch dynamic range, music and movies come to life.

UNPRESEDENTED CONSTRUCTION

We have also applied unique materials in the ongoing pursuit of ultra-low-distortion design. The horn’s outer layer is a silicon based rubber, which eliminates resonance of the horn housing. The Klipsch followers (aka: “tweaks”) in the past have actually taken modeling clay or putty to the rear of the exponential horns in our Heritage models such as the K-horn and LaScala in an effort to eliminate apparent resonance. Well, the tweaks have made it into mass production on this new line. Audiophiles take note.

Regarding the crossover, here's what I can tell you:

ABSOLUTE FIDELITY

The crossover is a refined phase correct precision network. It is perfectly matched to the high resolution drivers, and provides for a transparent response from the total system. Of course the highest quality components are employed.

• Like 1

I think that the tractrix port is being used as a diverging nozzle to reduce velocities and thereby port chuffing.  I'm somewhat amazed that this is new. The modified tractrix profile is the shortest horn profile that I'm aware of.