Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

Personally, I think we should be better stewards of what we've got,

About a 100 years too late for that.  And it would simply have delayed the inevitable anyway. 

Dave

Then why bother to take care of your neck of the woods in Arkansas? Because you know it's the right thing to do, whether it makes a difference to anyone else or not.

Bruce

Personally, I think we should be better stewards of what we've got,

About a 100 years too late for that.  And it would simply have delayed the inevitable anyway. 

Dave

Then why bother to take care of your neck of the woods in Arkansas? Because you know it's the right thing to do, whether it makes a difference to anyone else or not.

Bruce

Amen Brother Bruce. Gotta keep swingin'.

Reminds me of one of my bosses a few years ago. He said he appreciated the good job my sidekick and I did for the company. I told him we didn't do it for the company, we did it for ourselves.

Keith

Then why bother to take care of your neck of the woods in Arkansas? Because you know it's the right thing to do, whether it makes a difference to anyone else or not. Bruce

Agreed. But so futile.  We need millions of acres returned to nature.  When it comes to the carbon issue nobody points out that it has been the great forests of the earth that handled that for eons.  They are functionally gone.  Not surprising that, like a human body with no pancreas and blood sugar run amoke killing it, carbon dioxide is building up with nothing to control it. 

Yes, I am re-arranging the deck chairs on Titanic.  Most who hear that don't realize it was the right thing to do.  At least it allowed that person a since of order in the face of that which they could in no way alter.

Dave

When it comes to the carbon issue nobody points out that it has been the great forests of the earth that handled that for eons.

Not true.  It has been pointed out a lot.  Unless you are talking about this thread specifically, in which case never mind.

Severe Arctic Global Warning

The Washington Post

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen , Norway .

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone.  Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm.  Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.   Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

*********************************************************************************************************************

I must apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from  November 2, 1922,  as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 93 years ago.

Actually, I think it's been warming up slowly but surely since around 12,000 BC, when those dangerous CO2 emissions started billowing out from man made machines during the start of the holocene epoch. I predict warmer weather ahead, right after this cold front blows out.
Edited by Gilbert

It's all fun and games.  So the prediction is off by a hundred years or so.  If you ask me Miami (a coastal city) is already uninhabitable as well as new York.  They just aren't under water yet.  Destroying the environment which has helped regulate things clearly can't be of any harm since the climate has demonstrated fluctuations for thousands of years.  Let's just be Alfred E. Newman (you know, the guy who looks like Ted Koppel) "what?  Me worry?"

I just made it up.  The point is rising sea levels make it inevitable, and the flippancy is who cares about those cities anyway.  Historically many coastal cities have been submerged.  That fact is obvious even over the last wee 2000 years.  It might be more than a hundred or couple hundred, it may be less.  As the rest of the post says, fluctuations occur, but that is no excuse for wanton disregard of our environment.  After all, we are the ones who have to live here.

• 1 year later...

I don't believe in MAN MADE global warming.  Total hoax, politically motivated.

But just to show how Fair and Balanced I am, I do believe the biggest potential threat to our planet is over population.  I do believe that is man made. 

Woman made too.  B)