Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Science is not based upon a referendum.  The fact that nearly 100% of the Earth's population, at one time, believed the Earth to be the center of the universe did not make it so.

This is why I say science requires more faith than religion.

Remember when Pluto was a planet?

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Remember when Pluto was a planet?

While its classification may drift back and forth, the fact is, the thing still exists as it always has.  Should we deny, obfuscate, and otherwise distract for the benefit of one interest over another against our long term interests?

26 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

While its classification may drift back and forth, the fact is, the thing still exists as it always has.  Should we deny, obfuscate, and otherwise distract for the benefit of one interest over another against our long term interests?

Good definition of "politics."  Goes into the category of "sad but true."

+++

I passed many Science Class tests over the years by answering that there were NINE planets, now we find out there were only eight all along.  When I found out I felt honor bound to drop my IQ by a whole point.

It comes up at parties more often than one would think.  :unsure:

I find it fascinating that this discussion seems to be having no effect on "true believers" on either side.  LOTS of good science presented here but no takers.  Whole thing seems to be more religion or politics on both sides rather than the rational thinking that would be most helpful.  This discussion is permitted because it is NOT politics or religion.  Maybe more should approach it as science.  By that, not what "scientists say" as filtered through other sources but that which one learned in high school, that which is observable (I commented to my family over 20 years ago it was clear the climate in Texarkana was warming), and the easily available climate records for both recorded as well as geologic history. 

That the climate is warming is unquestionable.  The degree of human impact is definitely open to question.  Evidence to date suggests that human impact is reasonable to assume, but nothing so dramatic as to suggest that it is the biggest contributor or if it would change substantially if we all disappeared tomorrow. 

Thinking for one's self can be fruitful.

Dave

• Like 2

I've only read the last couple of pages here, and I know a lot of evidence has been presented. If I'm repeating something that's already been said, I'm sorry. Haven't we had 3 or 4 years in a row of recording breaking warm averages? I've only been around for 54 years ( less than a blink of an eye) but it seems like the last 10 years we've had some pretty bizarre weather. Even where I live, we saw 64 degrees Tuesday, 20 today, and back to 60 Saturday, that's 84 degrees of air temp change in 5 days. I do believe in global warming, and I think it's the cause of all this odd weather. It seems like every year we see record drought, and record rain within the same time zone. 

We treat this planet like a huge filter. Maybe we need a filter cleaning.

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Haven't we had 3 or 4 years in a row of recording breaking warm averages?

Yes...but the records broke are those in the utterly scientifically meaningless time in which records have been kept.  When you reach out to recorded history (also just a blip on REAL time scales) and geologic time these "records" are completely meaningless. 

Dave

I won't be around.... but i can't wait until the next ice age when all the people on the earth who are doing whatever it is that they do have to live on the remaining land mass that is not covered with ice. Imagine everybody living in Argentina, South Africa and Australia, that's it. Now there's a party. Talk about illegal immigration.

36 minutes ago, babadono said:

I won't be around.... but i can't wait until the next ice age when all the people on the earth who are doing whatever it is that they do have to live on the remaining land mass that is not covered with ice.

As with all things geologic, it WILL happen.  Cyclical climate change is as ancient as the earth itself.  By the time it does, if humans still exist, it won't matter as whatever we are we'll be well beyond needing to worry over such things. 

Dave

18 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Actually we treat the planet like dog crap.

JJK

Interesting... my first thought was, well, if that is true then we would be picking it up all the time.  Then I thought, no,  I'd be letting it use the neighbors yard.