As soon as its listed here, I go check Ebay. Who else does that?

JL Sargent

What is interesting is when an item is posted in both places right from the start. I would have thought that this place was kind of, you know,  a garage, where we could hang out ...talk Klipsch...and maybe get a good deal.  If it doesn't sell....then post it to EBAY.  Maybe some folks are more interested in money...or making  a quick sale..... than sitting in my duct taped la z boy...and talking Klipsch :)

If I am not familiar with what the piece will bring, I sure do check out eBay prices!

I agree with what Michael said in the above post!

I for one have bought things here well below eBay prices, and I have turned around and offered guys stuff I knew I could get more for on eBay, but I feel special about this place and long term members!

It actually kinda pisses me off when I see people come here as a member and try to ask top dollar or even more than the going rate! I kind of feel it is my duty to make sure my friends don't get taken advantage of.... Am I the only one that feels this way???

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 3

I have sold items here before for a song to give a "brother" a good deal.............only to see them resell and make money off of me shortly thereafter.  Nothing wrong with selling something you own...........I'm just saying sometimes the thought of giving a good deal is not accepted as same.

Edited by mark1101
  • Like 1

If I am not familiar with what the piece will bring, I sure do check out eBay prices!

I for one have bought things here well below eBay prices, and I have turned around and offered guys stuff I knew I could get more for on eBay, but I feel special about this place and long term members!

It actually kinda pisses me off when I see people come here as a member and try to ask top dollar or even more than the going rate! I kind of feel it is my duty to make sure my friends don't get taken advantage of.... Am I the only one that feels this way???

Roger

Well said, I totally agree.

Nope.

interesting question. i'm sure i have checked prices other places for reference, if i don't already know.

have noticed, like others have posted above, that often garage sale items are priced below market for Klipsch forum members. 

Have thought of this as a win-win, not only for giving a brother or sister a good deal to share the love, it's also a win-win. The seller does not have to contend with an unknown buyer on Ebay, which sometimes adds considerable stress to completing the transaction in good order. 

• Like 1

Roger

Roger,

Why do you feel the urge to expect an unusual discount here as opposed to anywhere else?  Would you discount your nice 2 year old McIntosh preamp that is in perfect working condition by 50% for your Klipsch brothers?  I wouldn't expect you to.  Would you expect me to?  Your 5 year old Onkyo receiver with a dent in it.......maybe yes.......and I would too.

I just don't get why people around here expect some automatic monetary favor?  I kinda feel people here tend to "shake you down" some even if they are not even interested in the product themselves.

I think in the information age that we live in and the ease of online research it would be foolish not to make informed decisions on anything you purchase and eBay can be a great resource. That being said, if you're in the market for a specific item you should already know roughly what to expect to pay for said item and should immediately recognize a good deal when you see one.

Edited by jjptkd

Roger

Roger,

Why do you feel the urge to expect an unusual discount here as opposed to anywhere else?  Would you discount your nice 2 year old McIntosh preamp that is in perfect working condition by 50% for your Klipsch brothers?  I wouldn't expect you to.  Would you expect me to?  Your 5 year old Onkyo receiver with a dent in it.......maybe yes.......and I would too.

I just don't get why people around here expect some automatic monetary favor?  I kinda feel people here tend to "shake you down" some even if they are not even interested in the product themselves.

Mark,

As I stated, I have gotten these deals, and I have given these deals. If you don't get it, it is your loss brother, not mine. I met Kevin Harmon through the forum and talking about TSCMs as he owns a pair. I was fortunate enough to work near Kevin, with a room to stay in about 6 miles from his house for 6 months. Kevin took me to meet friends and family and treated me like family. When I sold all of my MCM-1900 stuff, I purposely held back the nicest MWM bin I had to give to Kevin to put a K-402 / K-69 on top of and place between his Jubilees. Kevin has offered to pay me for my MWM bin, but his friendship is more important to me than money. Can Kevin afford to buy his own MWM bin, sure he can. If you can't understand my logic or giving a forum brother a good deal, you never will.....

Roger

• Like 1

Roger

Roger,

Mark,

As I stated, I have gotten these deals, and I have given these deals. If you don't get it, it is your loss brother, not mine. I met Kevin Harmon through the forum and talking about TSCMs as he owns a pair. I was fortunate enough to work near Kevin, with a room to stay in about 6 miles from his house for 6 months. Kevin took me to meet friends and family and treated me like family. When I sold all of my MCM-1900 stuff, I purposely held back the nicest MWM bin I had to give to Kevin to put a K-402 / K-69 on top of and place between his Jubilees. Kevin has offered to pay me for my MWM bin, but his friendship is more important to me than money. Can Kevin afford to buy his own MWM bin, sure he can. If you can't understand my logic or giving a forum brother a good deal, you never will.....

Roger

No fair Roger.  Now we are talking friends.  And Kevin of all people.  of course.  Yeah, we all have friends on this forum and would give them our stuff for a song too.  I'm speaking in general.

I would usually call them directly if I was selling something I knew they wanted anyhow.

I get it believe me.  Some don't though.

I actually agree with both sides, but that's because I am non-judgmental by nature.  By that, I mean I don't jump to conclusions based on information I don't have.

For instance if someone wants to sell a $1,000 item for $1200, it might be easy to say "its only worth $800."   But what if that person bought the item for $1200 and only wants to break even on his purchase?  My point is, we don't know that.

I don't have to be judgmental about that person's reasons for selling at that price.  From my point of view all I have to do is decide if I want to pay $1200 for the item.  I respect that person's right to privacy for any reason he may have for selling at a given price.

Edited by wvu80

There's actually a lot to consider than just giving a brother a good deal.

Some items and situations lend themselves to being able to do that...........like an inexpensive item, an item that has been in the process of being "passed around", or an item someone got for a song in the first place and is willing to give someone else the same deal.  I'm sure there's more like this.

There are also items and situations that don't lend themselves to the brotherly deals as well...........like expensive equipment that still has a high value and that someone has a lot into.  I would not expect anyone to incur a deliberate loss by fire sale pricing on something like that.  I would not expect to see a lower price here than Ebay or Audiogon on something like this.

Everyone has friends.  It's cool to be able to do something nice when you can, but friends don't pay the bills.

And I'll repeat that when I gave someone on this forum a very nice tube amp for a bargain basement price they bought it and turned it over almost immediately to make themselves a buck.  This is the reason for these posts of mine on this subject.  That still bugs me to this day.  I would not do that here, but that's just me.  I'm not that desperate for a buck.

There's actually a lot to consider than just giving a brother a good deal.

Some items and situations lend themselves to being able to do that...........like an inexpensive item, an item that has been in the process of being "passed around", or an item someone got for a song in the first place and is willing to give someone else the same deal.  I'm sure there's more like this.

There are also items and situations that don't lend themselves to the brotherly deals as well...........like expensive equipment that still has a high value and that someone has a lot into.  I would not expect anyone to incur a deliberate loss by fire sale pricing on something like that.  I would not expect to see a lower price here than Ebay or Audiogon on something like this.

Everyone has friends.  It's cool to be able to do something nice when you can, but friends don't pay the bills.

And I'll repeat that when I gave someone on this forum a very nice tube amp for a bargain basement price they bought it and turned it over almost immediately to make themselves a buck.  This is the reason for these posts of mine on this subject.  That still bugs me to this day.  I would not do that here, but that's just me.  I'm not that desperate for a buck.

I've had the exact same thing happen but I just chalk it up to the fact that some people are just wired differently.