Windows Ten

derrickdj1

Windows 10 running fine on a mid 2007 Dell Optiplex 755 (Core 2 Duo cpu). I did it as an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro, and all the drivers work fine. NO glitches showing up yet.

I just installed Windows 10 Pro on my old Asus EEPC Netbook (on a spare drive). Skype loaded up and ran just fine. I used this when I first traveled to the Philippines and China, so I could easily upload my pics and not worry about losing a memory card or camera.

The performance is fine, considering this is an old Atom CPU with only 2 gig of ram.

Bruce

• Like 1

Windows 10 running fine on a mid 2007 Dell Optiplex 755 (Core 2 Duo cpu). I did it as an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro, and all the drivers work fine. NO glitches showing up yet.

I just installed Windows 10 Pro on my old Asus EEPC Netbook (on a spare drive). Skype loaded up and ran just fine. I used this when I first traveled to the Philippines and China, so I could easily upload my pics and not worry about losing a memory card or camera.

The performance is fine, considering this is an old Atom CPU with only 2 gig of ram.

Bruce

So far, so good here as well.  I upgraded yesterday from 8.1, and it appears to have gone without a glitch.

What I really like is that you don't get unwantedly tossed out of the desktop environment into the metro environment.  I hated that about Windows 8.1 - especially with something among those charms over on the right side of the touch screen.  If you hit that in a funny way (and I never knew exactly what the pattern was), it was "Blam!"  You were punted into the metro interface.  "Arghhh!!!"  That happened all the time for me.

It has not happened since.  Knock on wood.

I also like how the taskbar at the bottom underlines the icons of the programs which have open windows.  It makes it more obvious.

• Like 1

I have 8.1 with Classic Shell. I have update turned off completely. But yesterday I began getting big screens asking me to update to Ten. I think it explains why my system was so dogfish for two days.

I have no need of a new OS, but I sense my resistance is futile. I want to be able to use Light room for at least a couple more years, so I may have to give in. I hate being manipulated.

Waiting till I hear how it interacts with Jriver from users of both, I am also a big believer in if it's not broke, don't fix it  ;)

So far so good on JRiver!!!! Gave my son-in-law a HTPC with Windows 10 for his birthday (built by me)!!!! That thing sounds good in his home!!!!! Is running a-ok!!!!! 

It looks like I will have to re-install my Adobe Creative Suite... PS wanted me to renter the license info/registration, and Acrobat Pro is giving me an error when trying to edit certain parts of PDFs. Of course, the suite is from 2008, so newer editions or the cloud versions would probably work fine. I won't really fault MS for that.

Bruce

Waiting till I hear how it interacts with Jriver from users of both, I am also a big believer in if it's not broke, don't fix it  ;)

Went from 64 bit Home Premium 7 to 10 with Jriver 20.0.13. Launched JR and got popup that OS had been changed; re-install JR. I downloaded install from JR and it started right up without having to input license. Worked fine.

18.7 seconds from power button on to desktop

post-19886-0-95980000-1438993122_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

I recently upgraded an 8.1 and two win7 machines.  Upgrade was painless on all machines.  Did have an issue with the start menu not working properly later on two machines.  Found a solution on Google on how to fix the problem and it worked fine since then.  I also noticed that the Edge browser also would not work with the start menu issue, so I suggest installing Firefox, Chrome or some other browser just in case you need it later.

I went into privacy settings and disabled just about anything I didn't need, which is most things that Microsoft wants you to use to 'help' you.

Still not sure of privacy issues, but so far so good.

Checked into it today....My recommendation the upgrade straight from windows server ....don't do it.... Download to bootable usb flash drive or download iso and make bootable DVD. You can do upgrade or clean install this way

To many error /crashes doing automatic...and NEVER pic express install....we all got 1 year for free upgrade...give it some time

Edited by oldred
  • Like 1

My understanding of this free Windows 10 is that you must first 'upgrade' before you can do a clean install.  Reason is that when you upgrade, the system will assign you a windows 10 product key.  If I'm not mistaken, you cannot conduct a clean install without a windows 10 product key, which you won't have until you do the upgrade.  At least that is how I understand it.