Existential Audio Crisis

Thaddeus Smith

does no one else ponder such things?
your not the only one who feels that way buddy. i built my theater and put in a riser with a second row as i always wanted a big theater that would bring friends and family over and come together for football games and movies. but i have had my theater for coming up on three years. and i think i have watched about 5 moves total with my dad. maybe 4 football games with buddies over. and maybe 10-15 movies with friends. now me and my wife watch 1-2 movies a week down there. so its gets used. just not like i thought it would. and that is why i haven't been in a super big rush to let the palladiums go. they excite me, and the upstairs living room gets used daily. i even have gear sitting around for a  channel setup. have been sitting on that stuff for 2 years hoping to have a 2 channel room one day. but even then i know i will be in this rental for at least 2 more years. so cornwalls, just sitting for 4 years. i drag em out once a year and let em rip for a few hours and then they go back in storage room under a blanket. its a shame but i can't bring my self to let them go.  
  • Like 4

I actually prefer listening alone.  When i’m listening with others, i interrupt the music by talking about how good it sounds or some trivia about the song, album, instrument, or musician. Although, that isn’t a bad thing as then the music served as the hook to some actual dialogue with another person. But as far as pure musical enjoyment -- nothing beats listening alone … and loud.

If you’re spending other time with your family, don’t beat yourself up about your alone time. Your kids, when playing alone, get to exercise their imagination. You seem like the type than can keep things somewhat balanced.

One painful regret that i have … i love basketball and back in the mid-80s, watched every Laker game for seasons.  I didn’t even like my wife talking to me during commercials because i was trying to predict what Pat Riley was going to do after the timeout.  Just thinking about this is practically bringing tears to my eyes…i recall one of my kids walking up to me with a game in her hands and asking me if I’d play…I said, “not now, why don’t you go ask one of your sisters to play.”  Eventually they stop asking…and i literally HATE parts of me. Sure we did fun stuff; but, if you’re messed up like me, it’s the painful memories that remain.

I did incorporate music into my kids life--they heard it all too. I’ve attended Chipmunk Punk concerts (Chipmunks singing rock tunes), took my kids to  see Rick Wakeman, REO Speedwagon, the Guess Who.

It as you say is all about incorporating things into your life. As mentioned earlier I have a single system. Sort of the sonic hearth of the home. When company is over, it is playing, same on evenings and especially the weekends with music. When I do listen by myself, I have a half decent pair of headphones (over ear is my favourite). This happens primarily later on weekend evening when my wife is sleeping. She has MS and fatigues.then I can concentrate on the music at appropriate volumes. Everything is a compromise, it is all about finding the sweet spot that works with your living space, lifestyle and tastes. I would find a seperate system in another room just a little too separate for my tastes.

Prayers for your wife’s condition…that must be rough.  

One thing i failed to mention is that music is complex … while i can be very social -- it’s also very private.  I heard Brian May say that he doesn’t like to tell what a song is about because he wants the listener to give it their own meaning--that way it will be personal to them, and thus more meaningful.  He alluded that people would be disappointed if they really knew what a song was about (because they thought it was about one thing and that is not at all what was on his mind when he wrote it). That’s the beauty of music…when we’re alone, we can take a magic ride.

Steve

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

does no one else ponder such things?
your not the only one who feels that way buddy. i built my theater and put in a riser with a second row as i always wanted a big theater that would bring friends and family over and come together for football games and movies. but i have had my theater for coming up on three years. and i think i have watched about 5 moves total with my dad. maybe 4 football games with buddies over. and maybe 10-15 movies with friends. now me and my wife watch 1-2 movies a week down there. so its gets used. just not like i thought it would. and that is why i haven't been in a super big rush to let the palladiums go. they excite me, and the upstairs living room gets used daily. i even have gear sitting around for a  channel setup. have been sitting on that stuff for 2 years hoping to have a 2 channel room one day. but even then i know i will be in this rental for at least 2 more years. so cornwalls, just sitting for 4 years. i drag em out once a year and let em rip for a few hours and then they go back in storage room under a blanket. its a shame but i can't bring my self to let them go.  

This is a very honest apprasial of where a lot of us are.  90% of the time, it's just me in the HT/entertainment room since there are only two of  us in the house, lol.  This is the main reason I have not got a screen and just use a TV.  I have room for a separate 2 ch room but, how many rooms will I really use.  I look at it as compromises and that's all good.  I try to just enjoy my gear, music, and, mix in a few movies here and there.  At this point, I do use the system everyday so, no guilt feelings on to many things sitting idel.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Everyone is getting all serious in here, it's kind of depressing. :(

But many good points made, I always wanted a dedicated HT, but I knew except for grandkids watching a few movies it would be just me for the most part, so I am glad everything is in the living room. When music is played which is a lot, it's usually at a volume where everyone can go about there business without the Tv on, listening to music instead.

I love it when the grandkids walk around singing the words to songs that are 35 years older than them, it's working I'm sneaking in some great music on them. It's like subliminal messages but it's a completely different generation of music there learning and appreciating.   

• Like 1

I use my headphones connected to my HTC One M8 only when I am a passenger in the car. The M8 does a wonderful job with music(files, Pandora, Spotify) but not as well as any of my rigs at home.

Keep the 2-channel rig for home use and travel with your headphones.

Bill

Everyone is getting all serious in here, it's kind of depressing. :(

Yep, and it seems to me like we are only talking about aspects of entertainment and fun. :ph34r:

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

I think you could enjoy 1 or both, each has its strengths, I was basically forced into headphones and initially hated the idea coming from mainly vinyl spinning with large horns was an adjustment...............fast forward and now i find the strengths of digital and headphones are enjoyable just in another way

When I had a full 2 channel system it was in a constant state of upheaval something always changing, headphones dont change nearly as much and yes I went through periods of is it worth it :)  

Kudret really did need to put down a little carpet, aim the 402s down a bit, put up a bookcase on the left side of that Jub as a backstop, and re-aim them a bit more toward the centerline...

But in general, you've identified one source of the Fountain of Youth, IMHO.

"If you don't have a pair, get some. You'll love doing business with Roy..."  (apologies to Eddie Chiles)

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

not depressed, and also not manic. just wondering if it's worth all the effort to maintain a second system dedicated to music.

Though it contradicts my setup, I think 2 systems in the same local isn't warranted. I have a SS system in the garage and 2 tubed systems in the house, though only one really ever gets used for dedicated play time.

Woops, make that 3 component systems and 1 compact. Almost forgot about the wife's favorite, a bang olufsen radio/CD player I purchased back in 1998. She loves using that old faithful system to listen to her TexMex and Latino music when she's cooking or cleaning house. That little system kicks out some serious volume for it's size. Still plays excellent after all these years, and doesn't take up much space at all.

• Like 1

That's my point.. it sounds great, I'm just questioning my motives for even having the second system. i think for the last few years i've been attaching my identity to impressive things, so that maybe i appear impressive. and I'm growing tired of doing that.

i started down this path when I sold my shotgun and I've been shedding things ever since. don't misunderstand me - there's absolutely nothing wrong with having nice things - i think i'm just wanting to tweak my focus and simplify my cache of "stuff" for a while.

Start by changing the avatar

LMAO

Mark

• Like 2

I actually prefer listening alone.  When i’m listening with others, i interrupt the music by talking about how good it sounds or some trivia about the song, album, instrument, or musician. Although, that isn’t a bad thing as then the music served as the hook to some actual dialogue with another person. But as far as pure musical enjoyment -- nothing beats listening alone … and loud.

If you’re spending other time with your family, don’t beat yourself up about your alone time. Your kids, when playing alone, get to exercise their imagination. You seem like the type than can keep things somewhat balanced.

One painful regret that i have … i love basketball and back in the mid-80s, watched every Laker game for seasons.  I didn’t even like my wife talking to me during commercials because i was trying to predict what Pat Riley was going to do after the timeout.  Just thinking about this is practically bringing tears to my eyes…i recall one of my kids walking up to me with a game in her hands and asking me if I’d play…I said, “not now, why don’t you go ask one of your sisters to play.”  Eventually they stop asking…and i literally HATE parts of me. Sure we did fun stuff; but, if you’re messed up like me, it’s the painful memories that remain.

I did incorporate music into my kids life--they heard it all too. I’ve attended Chipmunk Punk concerts (Chipmunks singing rock tunes), took my kids to  see Rick Wakeman, REO Speedwagon, the Guess Who.

It as you say is all about incorporating things into your life. As mentioned earlier I have a single system. Sort of the sonic hearth of the home. When company is over, it is playing, same on evenings and especially the weekends with music. When I do listen by myself, I have a half decent pair of headphones (over ear is my favourite). This happens primarily later on weekend evening when my wife is sleeping. She has MS and fatigues.then I can concentrate on the music at appropriate volumes. Everything is a compromise, it is all about finding the sweet spot that works with your living space, lifestyle and tastes. I would find a seperate system in another room just a little too separate for my tastes.

Prayers for your wife’s condition…that must be rough.  

One thing i failed to mention is that music is complex … while i can be very social -- it’s also very private.  I heard Brian May say that he doesn’t like to tell what a song is about because he wants the listener to give it their own meaning--that way it will be personal to them, and thus more meaningful.  He alluded that people would be disappointed if they really knew what a song was about (because they thought it was about one thing and that is not at all what was on his mind when he wrote it). That’s the beauty of music…when we’re alone, we can take a magic ride.

Steve

Thank you kindly, we all have our personal struggles and most of us take our marital vows very seriously. I'm not a mind reader but I am familiar with the human condition. A change in life - situation, career, stress, health and many other things can lead us to reevaluate who we are, what we have been doing and what, in the end is most important. Sort of a priority tree that is easily ignored in the background when things are relatively static in our lives. We all change over time as we need to with what is happening around us. The only constant in life is change when you think about it. G-d knows I've been through a few, and an especially large one when my wife's health turned. I would surmise that Thadeus has changes on the horizon.

• Like 2

• Moderators
The only constant in life is change when you think about it. G-d knows I've been through a few, and an especially large one when my wife's health turned. I would surmise that Thadeus has changes on the horizon.

Very true, and sorry to hear about the wife.

Thadeus does have a couple of very young ladies and a good wife in his life, that alone is enough to make you think about everything differently at times. Been there with 3 daughters and a good wife, 37 years now,  and you constantly are rethinking everything.

All you can do is what you think is best at the time and move on, everything could be replaced except the people.

• Like 1

• Moderators

These will fix all ailments, and actually reverse aging while in use.  

5b56a293_vbattach192925.jpeg

You think like my wife, she picked out a model bigger, looking in the mirror I would guess the reverse ageing thing didn't work out at all, but our ears are happy. :ph34r:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1