This Day In 1970

Tarheel

I was in the Student Union in my college when the word came through.  Stood stock still for  an infinite moment, divorced from the world for who knows how long, a minute, second an hour? In some respects the moment was as big as the assignation of Kennedy in its shock value.  I'd seen him that Spring at the War Memorial in Syracuse, New York, and of course, he'd woken me up, along with a half million others, on the last morning  at Woodstock playing his own take on the National Anthem. A totem, a figurehead, one of the god heads had left for Valhalla chocked in his own puke.

Good post Tarheel. Sometimes its best to remember the sad along with the happy.

His legend does live on in the hundreds of thousand who have taken up the guitar since his all to early demise.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to see Hendrix as a kid in the UK, he played the Civic Hall in Grays, Essex on February 14th 1967. My sister has Hendrix, Mitchell and Reddings autograph signed together and also a machine head off of the guitar he smashed and also set alight. It was a night to remember as a 16 year old.

WOW!!!!!!! awesome for you!!!!! I was born in 62 I asked my parents if I could see Jimi they laughed at me :D :D :D :D

There are a current artists that are aging....Iv'e never seen these guys but will in January "Black Sabbath with Ozzie" My point is, if you can go to a show "does'nt matter who" GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had saved all the ticket stubs from all the concerts I've been to "With the exception of " Mannheim Steamroller LOL

I wish I would've saved my stubs also. I had my bedroom door, front and back covered in stubs. I had a friend that owned a Karma record store and tickets were easy to get.

I talk with my kids, My Son Justin and My Daughter Erin now 32 and 30, I raised them without mom because their mom decided she wanted out...Anyway they always go back to "Dad.....remember when we went to that concert with you????" Take your kids to the Arts....

• Like 1

When acid tablets are sewed in your sweatband before a show, I guess it's only a matter of time.

What???

One account explains some of his sweatband/bandana drug use like this:

He would take a vial of liquid acid and drip it strategically on his bandana, then slice is forehead, and tripped balls like no other. Ever notice whenever he had his bandana on during a show, his eyes were barely open...when they were he was glancin down at his guitar or up into the sky no, he put a sheet of acid, or lined up acid tabs, and stuck it behind his bandana...-He actually took strips of bacon and put them behind his bandana, the grease from the bacon cause zits to form on his forehead, he would pop the zits

• Like 1

When acid tablets are sewed in your sweatband before a show, I guess it's only a matter of time.

What???

One account explains some of his sweatband/bandana drug use like this:

He would take a vial of liquid acid and drip it strategically on his bandana, then slice is forehead, and tripped balls like no other. Ever notice whenever he had his bandana on during a show, his eyes were barely open...when they were he was glancin down at his guitar or up into the sky no, he put a sheet of acid, or lined up acid tabs, and stuck it behind his bandana...-He actually took strips of bacon and put them behind his bandana, the grease from the bacon cause zits to form on his forehead, he would pop the zits…

I really don't know what to say! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I was in my teens that day, and Jimi was very popular in our group.  We were a bit depressed to lose him, but at that time he had not achieved the stature he later would have.  The first Hendrix song I ever heard was Hey, Joe, on a friend's old console stereo with the lights down low.

Another one of the first few songs of his that I heard was May This Be Love:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B27k0Kt8Rk

In related news, last month I picked up The Jimi Hendrix Experience Live At Monterey on LP.  It's  from Experience Hendrix LLC, and is on 200 gram vinyl by QRP.  It appears to be a limited edition, since there's a silver number stamped on the back of the sleeve, and it's under 2000. 

The copyright is 2014, and the price was right, under $30.  The recording is good, but not great.  The pressing is really good, with almost zero surface noise.  It's a treat to hear Jimi's comments between songs.

A few years ago, a guitar magazine, maybe Premier Guitar, did a special issue on Jimi.  It included a "what if he was still alive" interview with him.  In the interview, Jimi recalled waking up in hospital in London, and resolved to never be so careless again.  Years later, while partying with Guns & Roses, though, he had another close call, and said those guys were a bit too crazy for him.

At the time of the "interview", Jimi was retired and living happily in Hawaii with his nine children.  Of course, his home had a pro-level recording studio attached to it.  For me at least, it made for a touching read.

• Like 1

dropped some acid on the way to the airport, then flew (literally and figuratively) from Los Angeles to Detroit.  That was a long time ago and I wasn’t as smart as i am now.  Going to Detroit...what was i thinking?   :)

I'm so bad I vacation in Detroit.

Yep, that's pretty bad.....but I think you should have spelled it...BAD

dropped some acid on the way to the airport, then flew (literally and figuratively) from Los Angeles to Detroit.  That was a long time ago and I wasn’t as smart as i am now.  Going to Detroit...what was i thinking?   :)

I'm so bad I vacation in Detroit.

Yep, that's pretty bad.....but I think you should have spelled it...BAD
now, i did live in Grand Haven for several years...loved that place.