How old is your daily driver?

Arrow#422

I drive a 17 yr old jeep Cherokee, it so simple I can do most repairs, and parts are so cheap its absurd, and you cant kill a 4.0 straight six and I have tried.

You can in fact kill a 4.2L though. We tried, and succeeded. Unfortunately the intake was halfway down the grill, and unfortunately it did not have an air filter installed. Sucked in all that mud straight into the carb, it never was right after that. Complicating this was that the early YJ's had the Peugeot transmission that was built like a clam shell, so when it torqued, the thing actually spread apart. Well, he torqued it, apparently mud got in and fluid got out. That never was right either.  

More unfortunate is that this is the only picture I have of my buddy Mike Lakin.  About 10 years after this picture he fell victim to mental illness then later lost his insurance and therefore his medication.  After about a week with no meds he fell off his rocker and apparently committed "suicide by cop".  Sad situation.  

http://www.wistv.com/story/19754423/man-shot-by-deputy-on-october-6-dies

Lakin_zpss8xkjkki.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

you cant kill a 4.0 straight six and I have tried

That's pretty much true.  About the only common issues the early ones had was the gear that drove the distributor would wear out or break.

It must be the military spec engine, I see old 4.00 jeeps everywhere, and its not rare to see them run past 400k. There was a funny video on youtube years ago, where a guy drained the oil in one, pinned it in first trying to blow the engine, threw a rod through the engine case and it still was driving around.  My last one years ago, on a very hot day blew a radiator hose. I decided to see what would happen, trying to destroy the beast. Maxed out the temp gauge and then it just went ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhwawawawa and shut down. I thought for sure this death moan would have ended it. Not a chance, let it sit for a hour or so threw in some water and drove it to the mechanic.... Wish I still had it, turns out it was a rare short body truck, factory lifted, manual, and a sport model....

03' Acura TL-S. Factory ordered and only 65k on the clock. Never left me stranded and the first battery lasted 9-years. We usually take my wife's 14' Subaru Forester outside of to/from work.

I put an engine block heater in the TL-S for the winter months and it starts every time, not even a second turn of the key.

• Moderators

I don't drive for the most part, they say I sight see to much, wife likes driving so I ride. Now if it was something fun to drive it would be a different story.

07 Saturn Vue well over 100K ? no problems

01Jeep Cherokee about 200K runs fine just needs a freeze out plug replaced, it drips.

Rarely used 89 3/4 ton Chevy PU, only 45K miles, it sits in the yard to only pull a trailer or go to the hardware store. Somewhat taken apart right now. lights and grill off to be repainted plus it needs tires. It was red and faded to a funky pink !  

kubota tractor with front end loader, finishing mower, 600 hours, my favorite to drive by far  :o

Edited by dtel

91 GEO Tracker _ 168k. Go anywhere. Park anywhere. Leave the keys in it. Don't worry about it.

That was my second car.  Stupid fun vehicle.  Unfortunately they have finnicky computers that at least used to not be able to be rebuilt, and are not shielded from the elements.  Fried one splashing through a shallow mud puddle.  $1,200!  Sold it but then my friend who bought it did the same thing.  

Don't have to use my cars to commute, so they only get run on weekends. Mine is a 2001 BMW 740IL with 140K+ & the wife's is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 84K on it. We got both used, plan to run them for as long as possible, as they are paid for.

2003 Jeep Liberty...230,000, bought it new..Has never let me down, has cost me nothing in repairs....Jeeps are the Timex of the car world.

Except for Grand Cherokees.  Those have always been a maintenance nightmare.  

The jury's still out on the new Cherokees.

The jury's still out on the new Cherokees.

You mean the new grands or the normal cherokees?  Good friend of mine could have written this, had the same situation happen.  The guy in the video is just a normal guy, he raised a bunch of money to make a video and to cover the jeep, apparently they're going to smash it with those sledgehammers.  Not sure if they've done so yet.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

You mean the new grands or the normal cherokees?

The new ones (non grand).

I have a service writer that loves the GC's.  She's had 3 of them.  We also had a tech buy one for his wife and both the tech and the service writer are intimately familiar with all the car lines and which ones normally have issues.  I'm not saying there aren't lemons out there (every manufacturer has them) but when the techs that work on them and the service writers that document the issues in all the car lines buy them for themselves, that says something.

• Like 1